Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Calling Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Vancouver) paceliners

I will be in Vancouver then Seattle next week for vacation. Looking for a shop to rent a road bike for a day at each location. Also, any route recommendations that would allow me to enjoy the natural beauty of the areas (so less urban and more rural) would be appreciated. Looking for routes around 50 miles.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Vancouver

I don't live in Vanc now but can comment on riding from days past:

There's a series of three small mountains on the North Shore (cypress/Grouse/Seymour) that are great for being in the city yet doing some pretty awesome climbs. The epic rider does all three, just starting at one end and moving across, climbing and descending as you go.

I just quickly checked and BSP. (Bicycle Sports Pacific) is a decent shop that says they rent Cannondale Synapses, so that's a good bet. There are tons of supertouristy rental places for cruising on the seawall that might a road bike as well, but I would be doubtful.

Enjoy Vancouver - it's a spectacular city. Head over to Kitsilano for nice beaches and great walking on Jericho and Kits beaches. Eat lots of sushi!!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM

In Seattle, Montlake Lake bike shop rents some nice bikes and then do The Lake Washington Loop.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:30 AM
Byron

And you might take a ferry from Seattle to Winslow (on Bainbridge Island). There is a 30+ mile loop around the island. If you want more you could head to Poulsbo.

Here is a nice visual of the city layout from the Space Needle. Check it out on a sunny day like this coming Thursday.

http://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam/

You'll love Vancouver - great city.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM
formerly Landshark_98

If you want a really nice bike in Seattle area go to Element Cycles in Redmond - Colnago C60s, Pinarello Dogmas etc. for around $90-100 a day. Lots of rural routes out there.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Byron

Yeah I thought of Element as well, but kind of a long commute to get your rental. But hey I've been down in Olympia for a while and maybe the bus connections are pretty good now. I have yet to make into Element, but hope to soon. I've heard good things. Here is what Element rents on the high end road bikes, but they rent other types as well.

https://elementcycles.checkfront.com/reserve/

Last edited by bironi; 09-04-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 PM

Woodinville Bicycle is the best.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Lake Washington loop in Seattle looks pretty good, might just do that. I also wouldn't mind doing it on a Colnago
Old 09-04-2015, 05:23 PM
cnighbor2

try

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/bikemaps.htm

http://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2011/...ap-now-online/

also check with Robert D Freeman of Davidson Cycles in
North Bend, WA
USA
a friend

Robert Freeman
rdf1249@aol.com

Last edited by Keith A; 09-12-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the blank spaces and misc stuff
Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Byron

^Wow - Something went sideways!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM

Two top Seattle-area recommendations: 1. Go out to Element Cycles, rent a really nice bike, and head up the Sammamish River Trail (right next to the shop) or go over the ridge down to the Snoqualmie River Valley. Great rural roads, farms, and some good hills to seek out or to avoid. The SR Trail takes you up to winery country with tasting rooms, custom whiskey salons, and so on. Lots of good reasonably priced restaurants in Redmond as well.

2. Head the opposite direction and take the ferry across to Bainbridge. On Bainbridge, Classic Cycles is just off the ferry ramp and BI Cycles is about a mile away through a very picturesque center of town. Get a nice rental at either one and ride the periphery of the island (about 30 miles), add in Ft. Ward Park, and extend the ride up Lemolo Road to Poulsbo if you want a little more distance and a beautiful shoreline ride with a turnaround in a classic Swedish waterfront town.

There are other rides, but these two are easy to map, you're away from major traffic, and there are bike rental shops with pro bikes right at the courses. Both have lots going on that you can enjoy after your ride. Both have hotels and motels if you can stay the night -- give you a way to clean up and make an evening of it. Bainbridge has some of the best dining in the Seattle area and the roads are gorgeous. Bainbridge does not have much street lighting so be sure you're back before sunset.

As for Vancouver, the issue is more one of getting to the good riding areas. Vancouver has so much urban activity that I'd suggest you spend your time in Vancouver on your feet and put more riding time into Seattle. Better rentals and more accessible routes in Seattle. If you want to go to Victoria, it's very beautiful and has both superb street life and some great riding areas.

One last idea is to go up to Port Townsend. You can ride it, but I'd drive up there, perhaps with a bike. You can sea kayak right from the downtown main street, go riding all over the area, walk the beaches and the big military bases turned into parks. Countless movies have been filmed in Pt. Townsend (Snow Falling on Cedars, Officer and a Gentleman, and so on) -- it's a cool place. If you have the extra day and don't want to spend it in Seattle, Pt. Townsend is definitely a possibility, and you go right through Bainbridge to get there.

Last edited by 11.4; 09-04-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Vancity eH

vancouver

Where in Vancouver will you be staying?
You can also rent from Rekless in Yaletown http://reckless.ca/rentals/

How long of a ride time wise are you looking to ride?
Old 09-04-2015, 10:24 PM

If you skip Whatcom county you're missing out.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Two top Seattle-area recommendations: 1. Go out to Element Cycles, rent a really nice bike, and head up the Sammamish River Trail (right next to the shop) or go over the ridge down to the Snoqualmie River Valley. Great rural roads, farms, and some good hills to seek out or to avoid. The SR Trail takes you up to winery country with tasting rooms, custom whiskey salons, and so on. Lots of good reasonably priced restaurants in Redmond as well.

2. Head the opposite direction and take the ferry across to Bainbridge. On Bainbridge, Classic Cycles is just off the ferry ramp and BI Cycles is about a mile away through a very picturesque center of town. Get a nice rental at either one and ride the periphery of the island (about 30 miles), add in Ft. Ward Park, and extend the ride up Lemolo Road to Poulsbo if you want a little more distance and a beautiful shoreline ride with a turnaround in a classic Swedish waterfront town.

There are other rides, but these two are easy to map, you're away from major traffic, and there are bike rental shops with pro bikes right at the courses. Both have lots going on that you can enjoy after your ride. Both have hotels and motels if you can stay the night -- give you a way to clean up and make an evening of it. Bainbridge has some of the best dining in the Seattle area and the roads are gorgeous. Bainbridge does not have much street lighting so be sure you're back before sunset.

As for Vancouver, the issue is more one of getting to the good riding areas. Vancouver has so much urban activity that I'd suggest you spend your time in Vancouver on your feet and put more riding time into Seattle. Better rentals and more accessible routes in Seattle. If you want to go to Victoria, it's very beautiful and has both superb street life and some great riding ares.

One last idea is to go up to Port Townsend. You can ride it, but I'd drive up there, perhaps with a bike. You can sea kayak right from the downtown main street, go riding all over the area, walk the beaches and the big military bases turned into parks. Countless movies have been filmed in Pt. Townsend (Snow Falling on Cedars, Officer and a Gentleman, and so on) -- it's a cool place. If you have the extra day and don't want to spend it in Seattle, Pt. Townsend is definitely a possibility, and you go right through Bainbridge to get there.
I am just a lazy typist. 11.4 reads my mind and types as well.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:08 PM

Calling Pacific Northwest (Seattle/Vancouver) paceliners

Just landed in Seattle

We are staying in the Mt. Pleasant area in Vancouver. Staying in West Seattle while there. Looking to do rides around 3 hours.

I will have to check out Whatcom County as well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far!

Last edited by fa63; 09-04-2015 at 11:12 PM.