Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Yep, BF has become my shipper of choice just recently. And not just for the larger items sold on here, but for other large items - non-bike - that I've recently shipped. Very easy, and almost always the best price by far.

Be a bit careful with this. My local FedEx center - the actual FedEx Shipping Center - has told me that the reason they don't measure prepaid shipments at the counter is because the packages are automatically measured by laser at some point in transit, and if the prepaid measurements are understated and result in a lower cost than what the actual measurements warrant, they will automatically charge your credit card the additional amount. And, guess what, this ended up happening to me once! I hadn't been trying to cheat on the measurements, but had been off by an inch in one dimension, and the additional minimal amount was charged to my card.
Lazer beams eh? Mounted on sharks no doubt

Seems like a pretty bold move on their part...good thing I never use a credit card to pay for my shipments and it all goes through BF to begin with so no direct line to me.

That said, I rarely do that and if I do its within an amount that would probably fall into their margin of error for measurements, nothing egregious just a .5"-1" here and there.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Senior Shmoozer

This gets me angry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post

Be a bit careful with this. My local FedEx center - the actual FedEx Shipping Center - has told me that the reason they don't measure prepaid shipments at the counter is because the packages are automatically measured by laser at some point in transit, and if the prepaid measurements are understated and result in a lower cost than what the actual measurements warrant, they will automatically charge your credit card the additional amount. And, guess what, this ended up happening to me once! I hadn't been trying to cheat on the measurements, but had been off by an inch in one dimension, and the additional minimal amount was charged to my card.
Sorry, Your local fedex center is just being lazy and incompetent. There is no excuse for them not training their clerks to measure correctly when you bring in a box. All ground shipped boxes fedex and UPS now go by dimensional weight or actual weight whichever is greater. The Dim Weight formula is:
LxWxH divided by 166
If they don't do this calculation when you bring in a box, they are lazy or badly trained. It is unacceptable for them to let the laser measuring at the depot surprise you with an extra charge.

VF
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
My experience jibes with yours but I just use FedEx and do everything electronically. I get a break on shipping via FedEx because I have a biz account. USPS is great for small stuff and UPS is to be avoided at all costs.

Have you compared using FedEx for business to shipping with BikeFlights?
I just did and if you add in P/U and insurance, it's about the same as FedEx.

$36 for FedEx, $35 for Bikeflights. Wheeset box.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 AM

I have a FedEx personal account, but I've found that USPS is usually just as cheap for wheels and frames as long as you keep the box size under 108" length plus girth. I live in Florida and it costs $40 USPS Standard mail to ship a 100-108" box to the left coast, slightly less to other locales. And, they include tracking, but you have to pay for insurance if you want it.

One of the issues discussed on the boards often is "who decides whether they want insurance?" Is it the buyer or the seller? Some people think that the seller's responsibility ends when they hand over the package to the shipper. Often, shipping is quoted without insurance, and to ask the seller to include it would add to the seller's cost. On the other hand, if you believe that the seller is responsible for the shipment until the buyer receives it, then it would be the seller's decision. Only an issue if there is damage or loss, but still something to consider for a high priced purchase.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 AM

When I sell things, I assume my responsibility ends on delivery. That's how I expect things to go when I buy as well. I'd always buy insurance as a seller. Failure to do so opens you up to paypal claims, among other things.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM
aka RAEKWON

I always buy insurance on anything over $100. If under $100 I won't knowingly that if it gets lost and its the carriers fault I will return the money and take the loss.

This is a GREAT POST. Tons of good info here from someone that ships a lot. I have been shipping a lot myself. USPS first class is the best thing ever, so cheap to ship and bike parts are pretty light so a lot of stuff is under 13oz.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Time & Bikes

Another USPS cost-saver I haven't seen mentioned are Regional Rates A, B and C.
Actually, I only use the Regional Rate A category, but for many shipments, it costs far less, even less than Flat Rate.

Here's the deal: you need to buy the postage for Regional Rates on the USPS website (which I find easy to use).
Plus, you need the specific Regional Rate boxes, 2 sizes for each category. But again, free order from the USPS.

And Regional Rates are like semi-flat rates.
That is, with Regional Rate A, the cost doesn't vary for any particular delivery location -- no matter what the weight, up to 15 pounds.

Now, as the name implies, Regional Rates are most cost-effective when not going too far -- too far would be from my NYC area home to the Rockies and beyond.
(Although a Regional Rate A box going from here to SF is the same price as regular Priority Mail.)

But even for packages going to Chicago, say, the same 4 lb. Regional Rate A box will cost less than the Flat Rate box that would take that size part (such as a seatpost), which would be a Medium size Flat Rate.

And for shipments in the entire northeast, down to DC, Regional Rate A is the best pricing -- unless your item fits into a Small Flat Rate box or padded Flat Rate envelope.

Anyway, explore your options here: http://postcalc.usps.gov

Dave, who thinks he could have been clearer so if you have any questions just ask

Last edited by DHallerman; 09-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:55 PM
but not really

I make use of FedEx tyvek envelopes turned inside out for shipping soft or smaller items. Easy to obtain and allows me to avoid using pre-printed USPS packing when shipping first class instead of priority mail.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 AM

Here is a pic of what I found when Fedex delivered my Waterford from Montana yesterday. We road from Jasper to Whitefish and I had the local bike shop box it up and ship it to me in Washington DC. The shop (Glacier Cycles) did a great job packing and the Fedex forklift driver who did his best to slice my frame in half missed everything in the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(1).jpg (96.2 KB, 201 views)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM

to eBaumann

I've bookmarked this thread.

@eBaumann:
When there's a relevant update to the information, would you mind updating your first post, rather than requiring us to keep up with all the subsequent posts over what is sure to become a lengthy thread? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
I make use of FedEx tyvek envelopes turned inside out for shipping soft or smaller items. Easy to obtain and allows me to avoid using pre-printed USPS packing when shipping first class instead of priority mail.
I do the same thing with USPS priority flat rate envelopes for first class, though it does require me to re-tape all the edges back together...sounds like i should look into those fedex envelopes...
Old 09-09-2015, 11:58 AM

I'll vouch for bikeflights... cost me around $100 to ship my bike in travel case to vegas and back using them.

I couldn't have rented for that cheap for the weekend.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Tree

My goodness. This thread.

Seriously just saved me about a few hours of research. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 09:12 AM

I have tried using USPS several times, even going so far as to pay for tracking. Even though the costs were lower, the service was horrible. On every occassion, I had nothing but aggravation trying to track packages. I decided that it was worth spending more money to ship by UPS so that the package got delivered on time, a signature was obtained and delivery was confirmed.

That being said, I will price out FedEx and Bikelights the next time to see how they compare to UPS.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:24 AM

Appreciate you posting this tutorial for the clueless. Also there is no need to go to the post office if you print your own USPS labels and the box fits easily into a USPS mailbox. Sometimes folks print up a label then drive around a few days until it's convenient to drop it off at the post office,no need drop it off in the nearest mailbox (especially if you are using priority envelope). BTW you can put a saddle or crankset in those envelopes, just make sure they are protected with adequate cushioning such as cardboard or other material and is tightly wrapped etc. P.S. I'm talking about square taper/flat type faced cranks.

Last edited by bobswire; 11-28-2015 at 10:30 AM.