Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
I tend to ride MTB at least one night per week (not so much this month due to lots of work). Looking at my Strava data, I tend to reach about 28-35mph on the longer downhills with small jumps/ruts/sand. That's about as fast as I want to go, but that's only a few MPH off the speed I'd take the same areas in the day. Lights are so good now that you can pretty much ride at without much fear. I generally use a NiteRider Lumina 750 on my bars and a NiteRider Lumina 350 on my helmet.

I also have a Serfas True 1500, but rarely use it because it's overkill and my friends get really annoyed when I point it at them
Much appreciated. That sounds pretty reasonable. I was afraid I would be dragging my brakes on descents, trying to stay below 20mph.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM

You definitely need two lights, one on the handlebar and the other on your helmet, if you want to push the pace at night.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Administrator

jghall -- Thanks for your input.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Much appreciated. That sounds pretty reasonable. I was afraid I would be dragging my brakes on descents, trying to stay below 20mph.

Thanks.
Not at all! Just try toget a minimum of 700 lumens on your handlebar, and at least 300 lumens on your head. You'll be fine.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

I am tempted to try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A15MD58ELY2BCA
Old 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

For those who might be interested, MTBR does a pretty good job of comparing various lights: http://reviews.mtbr.com/2015-lights-shootout
Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
For those who might be interested, MTBR does a pretty good job of comparing various lights: http://reviews.mtbr.com/2015-lights-shootout
I had forgot about their review, and yes they've been doing a good job with this for several years.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
No Cygolites tested...
Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
No Cygolites tested...
A note on the 2014 MTBR light shoot out test stated: "Note: Cygolite refuses to participate in any independent testing of their lights so we are unable to review them."

http://reviews.mtbr.com/2014-mtbr-bike-lights-shootout
Old 09-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Missed that. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I have two of these, $30 from merit line. One for helmet/ headband and one for handlebars. The connectors are a little weak, and they are of questionable quality to most others listed, but they are super bright, and I don't feel bad about them failing/falling getting lost, etc.

Also really good for hiking/hunting,........spelunking?
Fwiw, I just compared mine to my Cygolite 600 and Cygolite 800 and the cheapie is significantly brighter than the Cygolite 800, which is significantly brighter than the Cygolote 600. I don't know if it is 1200 lumens, but it is at least 1000 lumens (assuming the Cygolites are anywhere the stated power).
Old 09-05-2015, 07:30 PM
ZhugeLiang

runtime?

I understand the fascination with lumens, it's like talking about the caliber of a bullet or horsepower of a car...but how about some reports on real-life runtime for some of these lights. I got a third-party (read: china) superbright light from amazon a while back for pennies, I mean this sucker is so bright, I have to set to the lowest setting or else it will blind motorists or mistaken as a car on the road. But even with an upgraded battery pack, I was only able to get about 45 mins or so of real use out of it.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

I get about 1 1/2 hours on my NiteRider Lumina 750 and 350 while riding full blast. After that they drop to lower settings on their own. If I'm planning on riding any longer than 1 1/2 hours at night, I will swap to medium power on climbs and back to full power for downhills.

If I have now idea how long I'll be out, I take my Serfas True 1500. It can run at about 700 lumens for about 4-5 hours.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
I get about 1 1/2 hours on my NiteRider Lumina 750 and 350 while riding full blast. After that they drop to lower settings on their own. If I'm planning on riding any longer than 1 1/2 hours at night, I will swap to medium power on climbs and back to full power for downhills.

If I have now idea how long I'll be out, I take my Serfas True 1500. It can run at about 700 lumens for about 4-5 hours.
I get about the same 90 minutes on high settings for Cygolites. Can't recall the cheapo's run time, I haven't used it in a while, but if I had to guess at least 90 minutes.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:37 AM
This space left blank

One side comment around the "lumen fascination". The lens and thus the resulting pattern is at least as important as overall light output. Lots of light spread out over a big area may not be good enough.

Road and MTB have different requirements for seeing. Road benefits from specific lensing, especially reducing the upper side since it's nearly useless with the flat angle of a bar mounted light. It's also can be a visual impairment to the rider.

Researching a light these days is rather daunting and there are lots of good options. The whole Magishine thing pushed the price point down to nearly disposable. My own preference is still the high priced Exposure line. I have a MaxxD from at least 7 years ago that is near bullet proof. One of the selling points in general with Exposure is the lack of separate battery packs. Very helpful.