Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2021, 06:25 PM

Old 12-30-2021, 06:41 PM

I have to say, as a bike person, you can tell that these cars were built by hand and meant to be worked on. They're all torx heads and allen bolts.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
This is a good article on them .......

The case for the V8 Vantage

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-pr...he-v8-vantage/

Exotic yet understated, sporting, elegant, and utterly gorgeous, Aston Martin’s V8 Vantage (VH generation) turns every outing into a special occasion. True driver’s cars, they’re plenty fast and blessed with beautifully balanced handling and tactile controls. Made largely by hand in small numbers, the build and materials quality are superb. Generally robust and reliable, they’re also seriously underrated—which means they are spectacularly good value today, especially compared to, for example, a Porsche 997 or 991, or an Audi R8.

Launched in late 2005 for the 2006 model year, the V8 Vantage was developed when Aston Martin was owned by Ford, a benevolent parent that treated Aston with respect. Ulrich Bez, formerly technical director of Porsche and “father of the 993,” was Aston’s CEO when the VH-platform cars were engineered.

That VH platform, a clean-sheet design exclusive to Aston Martin, is a major reason why these cars are so good to drive. Constructed primarily of aluminum extrusions and castings bonded together with extremely strong adhesives, it is a very strong structure that provides class-leading torsional rigidity.

The V8 Vantage handles in that beautifully balanced, exploitable manner exhibited by the best front-engine, rear-drive cars. With the engine mounted entirely behind the front axle line, it is a true front-mid-engine design. The rear-mounted transaxle further helps the balance, giving the car a superb, slightly rear-biased weight distribution of 49 percent front/51 percent rear. Driven quickly, mild understeer is easily adjusted with the throttle to neutrality or, if you wish, to gentle oversteer. The hydraulically assisted rack offers benchmark-level steering feel. The effort is on the heavier side, as are all the control weights. This consistency of weighting is a mark of a well-engineered driver’s car.

As the model name suggests, Aston Martin’s 4.3- or 4.7-liter V-8 provides the power and the sound. Loosely based on Jaguar’s 4.2-liter V-8, the Vantage’s four-cam, 32-valve engine was comprehensively re-engineered to become a bespoke Aston Martin product. It has its own block, crankshaft, bearings, con-rods, pistons, rings, heads, cams, valves, etc.—essentially everything is unique to the Aston engine. Lubrication is by a dry-sump system, and that beautifully fabricated oil tank with its knurled cap is a pleasure to view under the hood, as is the engine itself—no boring plastic cover here! Engines were built in the Aston Martin Engine Plant, located in a dedicated Aston-only building at Ford’s Cologne facility. True to tradition, each engine was hand-assembled by a single technician.

The 4.3-liter V-8 was used from introduction through the 2008 model year. Producing 380 hp at 7000 rpm and 302 lb-ft at 5000, these 3595-pound cars (add 175 pounds for the Roadster) are plenty quick, though they do need to be revved (no bad thing) to properly access the performance. For 2009 models, the 4.7-liter engine brought more power and torque; 420 hp at 7300 rpm and 346 lb-ft at 5000 (S: 430 hp/361 lb-ft). This delivers a meaningful performance increase across the rev range, though it’s most obvious at low- and mid-rpm where the extra torque is quite evident. A cross-plane-crank V-8 can produce some of the best-sounding exhaust notes in motoring, and these Aston engines sound epic. They have proven to be very reliable and durable, with no serious fundamental weaknesses (unlike some other performance cars that can suffer catastrophic engine failure from, for example, intermediate shaft bearing disasters, bore scoring, or rod-bearing failure).

At launch, the Graziano-built six-speed manual was the only available gearbox. 2007 models saw the Sportshift introduced, an electrohydraulically operated version of the same ’box. The seven-speed Sportshift II was introduced exclusively in the new-for-2012 V8 Vantage S, and it replaced the six-speed Sportshift in the standard V8 Vantage later that year. The S became available with the manual during 2013. The manual ’box is desirable, has a lovely, mechanical feel, and is a delight to use. The Sportshift ’boxes are single-clutch systems; they require driver input and using the paddles to give their best, in which case they work fairly well, and many owners love them. Of course, they can’t match the shift speed of a dual-clutch ’box or a modern torque converter automatic. Little-known fact: The torque tube houses a carbon-fiber driveshaft.

Aston Martin built these cars largely by hand, each one requiring some 200 hours to complete. The quality of build and materials is generally superb, and it really distinguishes these Aston Martins from other cars. The paint finish is outstanding—rubbed after each coat, the gloss is exceptional and there’s almost no orange peel. Bridge of Weir leather covers nearly everything that isn’t wood, metal or Alcantara. (The same is true of my Lincoln MKT — jb) Panel gaps are tight and even, and there are very few shut lines: For example, the hood extends all the way forward so there’s no nose cone, and no transverse shut line either. There is no fakery—if it looks like metal, leather, wood, or carbon-fiber then it is metal, leather, wood, or carbon-fiber. Even the grille is metal. Plastic is nearly banished. The instruments are three-dimensional works of art, machined from an aluminum plank shaped like the Aston grille in a subtle nod to classic Aston dashboards such as the DB5’s. The “swan wing” doors open upward at a 12-degree angle to clear curbs. Rather than just the usual two detents, each door uses a hydraulic strut to enable them to remain open at any position.

Then there are the looks. The V8 Vantage is utterly gorgeous. Widely considered one of the most beautiful cars of the last 50 years (or more), the taut, clean, perfectly proportioned lines are truly stunning from every angle. The AMV8 Vantage concept car debuted way back in January 2003, and the virtually identical production car was launched in 2005 for the 2006 model year. Exquisitely combining aggression and elegance, the design defines timelessness.

Perhaps as an unexpected bonus, the V8 Vantage has proven to be generally very reliable and robust. There are no major fundamental flaws. Service and parts costs are high, but reasonable for a car of this caliber. A good independent shop can reduce running costs, and there is a lot of good DIY information available. Clutch life is very dependent on the driver and the type of driving; some drivers wear them out in under 10,000 miles, while others have done more than 80K miles on the original clutch and are going strong. Some cars have developed an oil leak from the timing cover gasket (mostly early 4.3-liters, though it can happen to 4.7s too), but most affected cars will have had this addressed by now.

Rarity is another appealing feature. Very few were produced by modern standards, even though it’s the most successful model in Aston Martin’s 108-year history. Just 21,648 V8 Vantages were built through 2017 (plus 3052 V12 Vantages). To put this into perspective, Porsche’s assembly lines made more 911s each year during this period. 997 production (2004–12) totaled 213,004 and 991 production (2012–19) totaled 233,540—a massive 446,544 combined. V8 and V12 Vantage production together totaled a mere 24,700. Seeing a Vantage, or any Aston Martin, on the road remains a rare treat.

A real jewel of a car, every drive in a V8 Vantage is an event and the ownership experience is superb. It offers a truly unique combination of sportiness, elegance, performance, aesthetics, craftsmanship, build quality, and reliability. Involving, tactile, and characterful, they are great to drive fast—and to drive not-fast. A V8 Vantage looks and feels every dollar of its cost new (typically $120K–$170K). At today’s prices (which are rising), the value for money is off the charts.
This may be one of Hagerty's better write-ups! It's rekindling my desire for a Vantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
IJWS, is this yours? If so, beautiful car! Congratulations! Incredible color combo.

Texbike
Old 12-30-2021, 08:20 PM

Texbike, so sorry. not mine--recent listing in autotrader. I am still on the hunt!
Old 12-30-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Texbike, so sorry. not mine--recent listing in autotrader. I am still on the hunt!
What years and price range are you looking at ?

V8V 6spd Coupe right ?

Old 12-31-2021, 12:17 AM

I am looking at all of them (really like 2007-2014). I think that a 4.7 would be ideal....but I just don't know. I looked a 28,000, mint, 2007 that was $42k in the mouth last year. That was a mistake. I should have gone for it but the test drive was awkward. Very nice seller though.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Thats a really good looking car. Perfect year. Muscular yet not super aggressive look. Still bit boxy in the shape and not to streamlined with to much going on in the lines as the more modern ones. Go for it .)

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 12-31-2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:01 AM
Boeuf Chane

A somewhat related comment I'll throw out:

Be careful when buying a car where you make the decision primarily with your heart, not your head. I did that a few years ago and lived to regret it. It wasn't a huge amount of money, but it wasn't trivial either ($35k) which makes it enough to be irksome. I've done the same thing with a motorcycle, but that was $4k, so not as painful.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:31 AM

If car purchases were all head and no heart we’d all be driving Corollas!
Old 12-31-2021, 09:02 AM

POTD!
Hitting maybe close to home here, with my 2008 Honda Fit and 2001 Ford Ranger! Always want to have my vehicles worth less than my bikes, and get fewer miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
If car purchases were all head and no heart we’d all be driving Corollas!
Old 12-31-2021, 10:07 AM

Those are beautiful, timeless, well proportioned, but if it were my money, I would be shopping for a Jaguar type f R. Best affordable gt car bargain out there right now, IMO.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
POTD!
Hitting maybe close to home here, with my 2008 Honda Fit and 2001 Ford Ranger! Always want to have my vehicles worth less than my bikes, and get fewer miles!
I did just barely qualify for this this year thanks to not commuting!
Old 09-10-2022, 02:17 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
I did just barely qualify for this this year thanks to not commuting!
So... did you buy a V8V?
Old 11-07-2022, 12:45 PM

Jpritchet74, Yes...last night...after a couple of whiskies. I'm pretty excited! 2014 base Blue over Sandstorm. I'm trying to figure out how to get it from TN to CA. The most fun way (driving it home) is not an option.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Jpritchet74, Yes...last night...after a couple of whiskies. I'm pretty excited! 2014 base Blue over Sandstorm. I'm trying to figure out how to get it from TN to CA. The most fun way (driving it home) is not an option.
Sweet, I been look at AM way before you started this thread, but have yet to pull the tiger, the way the world looks to be going more good deals should be popping up soon.

Please post photos of yours.