Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Ribble Cycles & Shipping to Canada

Folks - I'm in the market for a new groupset and debating ordering from Ribble in the UK. I've seen on various other threads that some people have been pleased with Ribble, while others have had mixed results. Just wondering if there is anyone from Canada here that has ordered from Ribble and can pass on their experience to me? Anyone know what the duty charges are for importing a group made in Italy, ordered from the UK and shipped to Canada might be? I normally try to go with my LBS but the savings that I can realize on a 2009 Centaur Carbon group is significant enough to make me think about Ribble..... that way I can maybe spend more on my wheelset. Appreciate any comments!! Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 PM

You might want to ask them if they ship by Parcel Force. If they do, you will pay just an $8 processing fee and 5% gst on bicycle parts (same as total Cycling).

Bona Fortuna
Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Thanks.... Is Parcel Force a UK shipping / courier company? I've never heard of it... but then again have never had anything shipped from UK.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Opps.... Never mind. Answered my own question. Found Parcelforce on the web. I'll inquire with Ribble if they can ship that way. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Discusion revivial

I'm seriously considering a 105 groupset from Ribble at their current super cheap price. Any Canuck formuites have experiences ordering from Ribble? Any ideas how much, if any, duties and or taxes are slapped on groupsets?
Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Riding Along

I have ordered from them many times and never had a single issue. As for duties it is hit or miss. Most times I pay no duty since I try and keep the order totals under 150cdn. Over that you may pay about 15% duty. They just list bike parts on the declaration form, no country of origin.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 AM

I haven't ordered from Ribble but have done lots from other UK and USA sites.
If it comes via mail, I factor in the possibility of 13% duties and if it's a box another $10 fee on top of that. If it's a really big box like a set of wheels then the $10 goes up but I can't recall how much.
I like mail cuz I'd say I've been hit with duties...30 percent of the time.
With UPS, FedEx or Purolator, it's 100% guaranteed that you will get charged duties and brokerage fees. Their argument is that you pay for it via your taxes.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
I have ordered from them many times and never had a single issue. As for duties it is hit or miss. Most times I pay no duty since I try and keep the order totals under 150cdn. Over that you may pay about 15% duty. They just list bike parts on the declaration form, no country of origin.
I order from Ribble all the time, and the last groupset we ordered was my wife's Chorus TT build, and there was some duty but nothing major. Most of the stuff we order has no duty at all. I feel like we get some kind of commonwealth discount or something. Either way, duty around $100 on a thousand dollar groupset or whatever isn't much. And always cheaper than other North American distributors. LBS usually the way to go for full builds, but it's nearly impossible to find Campy anywhere. Give'r.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 AM

The regular shipping from Ribble originates with Parcelforce (the parcel part of Royal Mail). This is your best scenario for avoiding spurious customs clearance fees from the shipper. If you pay for expedited shipping it may come via UPS or FedEx, who may bill you extra (aside from anything the Canadian govt. might assess). Your government appears to be more eager to collect duties and taxes on every foreign shipment - here in the US I've never been charged.

There is are a few threads on the RBR forum (Hot Deals section, IIRC) where people discuss their experience with UK vendors and duties, etc. in gory detail. PBK seems to be using a service which gets delivered to UPS or FedEx in the US, so I will avoid them (aside from the fact that their prices are no longer that good).
Old 12-22-2014, 11:40 AM

I have never ordered a group from Ribble, but a few orders of various items totalling a few hundred $$ each time.

I think I got hit with duties once. Honestly, with prices that low, getting a $50 bill for duty is well worth the expense. A 105 group in an LBS is surely $1000, so paying $370 + $50 isn't much of a hit, in my opinion.

Good luck,

Darren
Old 12-22-2014, 11:50 AM

I've ordered lots of stuff from Ribble, and Wiggle, and PBK too. Shipments from Ribble and Wiggle usu
ally get through without any duties...but you never know. Just always take tge cheapest or free shipping as it's usually through the mail. That way if you do get hit with duties and taxes, you don't get charged with the brokerage fee that companies like UPS and FedEx charge.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I've ordered lots of stuff from Ribble, and Wiggle, and PBK too. Shipments from Ribble and Wiggle usu
ally get through without any duties...but you never know. Just always take tge cheapest or free shipping as it's usually through the mail. That way if you do get hit with duties and taxes, you don't get charged with the brokerage fee that companies like UPS and FedEx charge.

Yes, that piece is critical. I hate the brokerage fees/
Old 12-22-2014, 12:59 PM

I've order from Ribble before and had it shipped to Vancouver. Ended up with a 13 - 20% bill depending on the description. Going forward, for bigger purchases, I will ship to a shipping service in Point Roberts (easy to set-up) as I don't think our American brothers pay any duty.

90% of the time driving through the border, I don't pay anything as long as it's under $400.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:13 PM

Billyd0012, I shipped some items to a Paceliner in Point Roberts. Since the address looked a little confusing with the unit number ahead of the street number, eg 1111- 458 Random Street, Point Roberts, WA, I looked up the address on googlemaps and couldn't do a street view. Too lazy to google but what exactly is on that little strip of land. Airport, military base?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd0012 View Post
I've order from Ribble before and had it shipped to Vancouver. Ended up with a 13 - 20% bill depending on the description. Going forward, for bigger purchases, I will ship to a shipping service in Point Roberts (easy to set-up) as I don't think our American brothers pay any duty.

90% of the time driving through the border, I don't pay anything as long as it's under $400.
Not always, our cousins to the south pay duties as often as we do. Plus there is the chance that you will get hit again with duties as you come back home. Double Duty..