Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meech_cross5.jpg (76.4 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Meech_cross6.jpg (130.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Hey there!

Wondering what's that notch for? Is that in place of the old "crimp" in the chain stay?

Also wondering bout your head badge? What's the story there? Sorry if I missed it somewhere. If so, just put up a link.

Hey.. there's a Serotta connection! Yamaguchi worked at 3Rensho and Serotta. Whoa. Nice bloodline. How'd you describe how his bikes ride? I dunno if you know but I wonder what parts of his accumulated experience from both of those experiences might have permeated into his framebuilding program..

Great to see ya round these parts.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Vendor

Hey RogueDog, Yeah the cutout is just for a little custom chainring clearance. Crimps are nice but I kinda like the looks of the cutout. Its definitely a little extra work but I like it. The S-bend chain stays that I use makes chainring clearance a challenge. I'm always curious about the way other builders tackle this issue. I know some are probably doing the same exact thing. In regards to the headbadge, I chose the Pegasus just because I like the idea of a horse with wings. Of course its a greek myth and I do have a little greek heritage from my dad's side but that really didn't play a role. I just thought it made for a cool headbadge. The star is just something that the guy who designed the headbadge added for a little extra kick. Jen from Revolution Cycle Jewelry is the one who makes them for me and the amount of detail she gets into her badges is excellent. I always appreciate her work when I'm putting one on. MEECH Custom Bicycles is a one man shop but the amount of help I get from people all over is extraordinary. I enjoy doing alot of things myself however getting to do business with others makes it much more enjoyable for me.

In regards to Yamaguchi's frames, I can only speak about the one frame that I built while at his school. It was a cross frame with a steel fork of course and since I had been spending the last few years on lightweight carbon bikes it definitely felt different. It felt very solid and tracked very well. It felt more like a Cadillac than a sports car. It actually felt much stiffer than the previous steel frames I had ridden, or so I thought. I had some lugged steel frames that were good bikes but they felt a bit sluggish I thought. I always figured that a lugged frame would be a little stiffer but I've never done any testing of one versus the other. I have had some good feedback from my customers and one compliment that I've recieved a handful of times is that my frames seem to climb very well. Not exactly sure what I'm doing to make them feel like that but I enjoy hearing it because everyone likes a good climb. Maybe its the beefy fillets who knows. I can't speak for Yamaguchi's experiences, however I know there have been very many. I had no idea how deep his knowledge was until getting to work around him. He is a very interesting man and I would jump at the chance to work with him again. If only we had more time huh?

Last edited by meech151; 11-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it feels like I can usually spot the people who have spent time with Koichi by looking at their work. I say that as a high compliment.

William
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM
bourbon!

I met Dimitri at the TX Custom Bicycle Show a few weeks back. I saw several of these bikes in person and they are outstanding. He was a great guy to talk to and anyone would do well to have him build you a bike.

And Dimitri, I'm ready to put a new cover on that Avocet when you are.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Vendor

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. And JM, I'm gonna get with you in the near future to put some final custom touches on one of my bikes.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful answers

I do like the look the look of that "cut out." Very modern/industrial looking. How's that work? Or how do you do that? I almost makes it look like its a solid piece of steel.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words. And JM, I'm gonna get with you in the near future to put some final custom touches on one of my bikes.
It's on Dimitri!

I'm always happy to be of help where I can.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful answers

I do like the look the look of that "cut out." Very modern/industrial looking. How's that work? Or how do you do that? I almost makes it look like its a solid piece of steel.
Its pretty easy. Just pinpoint where the chainring bolts are gonna touch the stay and file a groove only as large and deep as you need to go. Then I take a piece of head tube material, because its a little thicker than your average bike tube, cut a piece in half, hold it in place with a little clamp and then braze it in. After this its all clean-up work. I have this on my blog somewhere from not too long ago. I'll try to find it. Thanks for the interest and I'd love to hear any other methods for solving this issue from anyone. I'm always interested in new and different ways to solve problems.http://meechcustombikes.blogspot.com...clearance.html

Last edited by meech151; 11-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
It's on Dimitri!

I'm always happy to be of help where I can.
It is on J! We're gonna do a schweeet carmel brown leather cover on my Avocet O2 Ti saddle with some matching bar tape. Can you put my name on the saddle?
I want you to brand a big MEECH on it.

Last edited by meech151; 11-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
It is on J! We're gonna do a schweeet carmel brown leather cover on my Avocet O2 Ti saddle with some matching bar tape. Can you put my name on the saddle?
I want you to brand a big MEECH on it.
Very cool! I've got the auburn leather and matching bar tape.

I've never branded any of the leather. But when you are ready, shoot me an email and we'll figure out how to do some test leather before we start tearing up the Avocet.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Awesome work D!

What's the purpose of the cut-out on the chain stay?

William
Thanks for noticing William. The cut-out is just for a little custom chainring clearance. This is a frame i just finished up for Andy D up in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
I took it to the Texas Custom Show a couple of weeks ago. Met a lot of cool people and had a great time. Also went to the Dallas Karting Complex on Saturday
night and did some go-kart racing. It was almost too much. I had a need for speed and that helped to ease the itch, although now I want more.

Last edited by meech151; 11-17-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hey D, is that a Meech at the World's? Or "The" Meech ridden at the World's?

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worlds.jpg (79.2 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by William; 12-17-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hey D, is that a Meech at the World's? Or "The" Meech ridden at the World's?

William
Its a MEECH ridden at the World's by Larry Yancey in the Masters class. Last year he placed 7th and this year he's giving it another dig. He wants some stripes on his palmares, and I wouldn't mind having some on one of my bikes either. Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 11:59 PM

Thats a great looking race picture, the bike being dragged through its thing. What size tubes are used on that frame as looks well chunky.....top tube a 35?