Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 05:54 PM

buddy of mine packs a small .38 on some rides. Gravel rides in meth country, mainly.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
buddy of mine packs a small .38 on some rides. Gravel rides in meth country, mainly.
I've considered picking up a little "mouse gun." Ruger LCP or Keltec P32 or similar. Not much bang, but better than nothing if the **** really ever did hit the fan.

I've had some scary run-ins with hill billies riding out in the CoCo hills. Makes you remember how vulnerable you are, when you're riding past a group of Bubbas and Cecils illegally dumping trash off the side of the road, staring at you as you slowly peddle up a 15% grade knowing there's not another soul around for miles.

No one can hear you scream, in hillbilly country.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Hard for me to take the guys seriously wearing the masks but there are a few things here that are workable...and a few lower percentage things as well.
Thanks for posting that link. I found it quite enlightening.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Older Than You

How about mounting a scabbard with an AK47 in it on your bike. We have open carry in Texas. This would be a good deterrent.....

Seriously in 30+ years of riding in a not particularly bicycle friendly area I've been honked at maybe 6 times. That's it. No confrontations whatsoever.

I do know a couple of riders that carry a can of wasp spray for protection.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:52 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
I've considered picking up a little "mouse gun." Ruger LCP or Keltec P32 or similar. Not much bang, but better than nothing if the **** really ever did hit the fan.

I've had some scary run-ins with hill billies riding out in the CoCo hills. Makes you remember how vulnerable you are, when you're riding past a group of Bubbas and Cecils illegally dumping trash off the side of the road, staring at you as you slowly peddle up a 15% grade knowing there's not another soul around for miles.

I have been considering the same. The LCP would fit in a wallet holster in a jersey pocket and would look like a nondescript rectangle. I have fired one a couple of times and it's tough because it's so small. I'm still not convinced it would be useful as I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with it. Plus, if Buuubba wanted to take you out he'd use his oversized brush guard bumper anyway.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Here is another thing to consider, but probably not for the reason you would immediately think of...a cell phone.

This video is more directed towards "Things to have for concealed carry", but there are some good nuggets there for self-defense consideration. The entire video is worth watching imo, but you can jump to #2 about cell phones starting at about at 7:25...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNQPhVucVY

William
Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
While usually good advise, it is not always legally required, it's almost always best to research and understand the law where you are.
Yup. Each State has their own laws on this subject.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
I have been considering the same. The LCP would fit in a wallet holster in a jersey pocket and would look like a nondescript rectangle. I have fired one a couple of times and it's tough because it's so small. I'm still not convinced it would be useful as I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with it. Plus, if Buuubba wanted to take you out he'd use his oversized brush guard bumper anyway.
I don't advise it, but if you must, a Kel Tec pmr-30 is a much better option.

My experience keeping loose dogs away from my dog and I on our walks with a walking stick leads me to believe something lightweight that gives you separation (and can "deter" an attacker) has its benefits. A lightweight telescoping baton, a lightweight Ti tube attached to your top tube like a pump...a slingshot (additional ammo in the way of small rocks are easy to find on a ride)...

Not my cup of tea, but if you must, the best defense implement is something you have practiced with, feel comfortable with and can use lawfully when you are in reasonable fear of bodily harm.

Last edited by 93legendti; 07-21-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:01 PM
AZ Slowpoke

I agree completely, it is foolish to carry an unfamiliar weapon of any kind.

I've tried the Kel Tec and I don't care for it either. So far none of the micro pistols work for me, a mid like an SR9c is as small as I'm comfortable with and it's too big for a jersey pocket.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 PM

Got a little worried when I saw this thread topic.

I mean, I'm not no big gun advocate, but I can tell you doing hand to hand combat with cycling shoes on would put you at a massive disadvantage.

Of course, you can't always walk (or run) away from a bad situation and sometimes one has to fight no matter what.

With all that said, I'm in the mace camp (for dogs), then a small pistol (for wild animals or worse).

Unless you truly know how to use a knife then I highly suggest you leave them in the kitchen. You can end up getting yourself just as injured as your opponent if you don't know what you're doing.

Best advice is to be aware of your surroundings, plan routes and do your best to stay out of harm's way.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:00 AM
v a n i l l a

People, this is not a video game.

Start something? Better be prepared to finish it.

Fine you carry mace - will that work against a gun?

Plenty of stories of people around here getting shot just because they "dis-respected" the other person.

The calendar says 2017...sad reality, this.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
if i've got the option i'll take "flight" every time. the good news there is that most cyclists can outrun or out bike would-be attackers most of the time, i would think.

if it came to it though, my biggest concern would be footing. i always cycling in road shoes with cleats, and you simply cant get firm, good footing in road shoes. you're always somewhat off balance and awkward, and any good fight starts with firm footing.

so yea - i just try my damnest to avoid physical confrontation. a fight in sidis is a losing battle.
Yeah, but, those shoes could be a very effective weapon. Go for the knees. Gotta hurt.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Here is another thing to consider, but probably not for the reason you would immediately think of...a cell phone.
William
It's always been my saying that cellphones are the new "guns of the Wild West".

At the slightest provocation, watch people whip out their cellphones and either start filming, or calling the police. It's amazing how quick that happens, as if it's the ultimate protection.

That said, a cellphone is probably handier than a gun for many of the conflicts cyclists will be involved in while riding.

Carrying, and properly use of, a gun takes a lot more practice and wisdom than most people have. Non-lethal forms of self-protection are less likely to get you in trouble and as has been said, if you pull it out, you better be prepared to use it. It's a responsibility most people don't have and don't develop in the heat of the moment.

I'm not anti-gun, just probably more pragmatic, and my riding environment may be different from that of others.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:44 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post

I do know a couple of riders that carry a can of wasp spray for protection.
Bad plan. Spraying someone with an insecticide is a worse offense than a gunshot.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

It's the POV Camera mounted on your helmet that just recorded them that sets them off.