Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just an item for discussion here on a Paceline friday morning. in the end, no big deal
exactly.
when do we start talking about tires for D2R2?

Instagram
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Neutral feedback, spelling out what happened.

If you're happy with what you received, that's what I would do.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
exactly.
when do we start talking about tires for D2R2?
August 1st.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Happy Friday and enjoy the hubs!

(that's my exp with ebay, just move forward with what you received)

Quote:
OK, friday morning story time. what would you do in this situation:

Facts:

-saw a set of wheels on ebay with minimal description. the pictures were not great, but they showed a set of CKR45 hubs laced 32 3x to stans rims.

I figured i'd put a lowish bid in and see what happened. I won the bid, for what i consider a decent price for the CK hubs alone, never mind the wheels. i paid through paypal within a few minutes of winning the bid.

few days go by, then a week. messaged the seller through ebay and asked when they would ship and tracking info. nada.

few more messages go by, and about another week. finally got an email response that they are "on a fedex truck", but no tracking number. seller unresponsive again.

so....

wheels show up. what looks like a brand new campy 10-sp cassette attached, and a newish set of tires. i had just assumed these were going to be shimano splined, so this is cool.

the wheels are perfectly round and true, but (as we know with stans rims...) every single eyelet on the drive side rear is cracked. not terribly, but definitely cracking at every DS spoke hole.

now, i got the wheels for a good price, and i had half expected to see this with the stans rims, so it's not a shock to me, or a big deal at all. i'll rebuild with the hub and old spokes, new rim and nipples, and call it good.

however, i did buy these in a competitive bid situation, and only got them cheap because the bid didnt run up. someone could have bid high and got a set of wheels needing rebuilding. also, the description said the wheels were "just rebuilt and serviced" - and this is clearly not true. judging by the sound of the rear hub, it needs some lube - so these havent been apart in a while, and any competent wrench would have condemned the rear wheel - so the seller's description is deceptive.

anyway - i'm going to keep the wheels, because the hubs were what i wanted anyway, and i'm OK with rebuilding them, especially given the good condition of the hubs, the free bonus cassette and spokes in good condition.

i feel like the seller should not get away with this deceptive move without some consequence. what option do i have through ebay to recoup some $$ without having to return the wheels?

i'm confident that emailing the seller to work it out privately will be useless based on his previous unresponsiveness.

maybe just some negative feedback and move on?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM

South Dakota is hard on wheels

Quote:

however, i did buy these in a competitive bid situation, and only got them cheap because the bid didnt run up. someone could have bid high and got a set of wheels needing rebuilding. also, the description said the wheels were "just rebuilt and serviced" - and this is clearly not true. judging by the sound of the rear hub, it needs some lube - so these havent been apart in a while, and any competent wrench would have condemned the rear wheel - so the seller's description is deceptive.

anyway - i'm going to keep the wheels, because the hubs were what i wanted anyway, and i'm OK with rebuilding them, especially given the good condition of the hubs, the free bonus cassette and spokes in good condition.
You got them cheap because the seller has zero feedback and can't compose a compelling ad (let him know I'll tutor him).

Also, did the guy/gal use a company fedex account? $25 for shipping is either very generous or further evidence of his, um, inexperience.

I'd say the seller is either a diabolical con man or a straight novice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Chris-Ki...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by beeatnik; 07-21-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 AM
v a n i l l a

Any comment you post will be read as negative whether you classify it that way or not since you are stating the goods received were not described accurately.

Is there a scenario where the seller would be entitled to unwind the transaction in order to not have that feedback posted?

If so then posting such a comment puts your hubs at risk

I don't like that scenario but I think the colonel has a perspective worth thinking about and this is adjunct to it
Old 07-21-2017, 10:37 AM

I once had a newbie or intentionally deceptive seller on eBay. He sold me what was billed as an iPhone 5s, and it turned out to be an iPhone 5. I raised a case. I know I wound up accepting a partial refund, and I believe he proposed that. I think you aren't limited to all or nothing.

Personally, I would open a case. It was a misleading advertisement. I would say to resolve it, so the seller learns not to be sloppy (or not to be a liar).
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I once had a newbie or intentionally deceptive seller on eBay. He sold me what was billed as an iPhone 5s, and it turned out to be an iPhone 5. I raised a case. I know I wound up accepting a partial refund, and I believe he proposed that. I think you aren't limited to all or nothing.

Personally, I would open a case. It was a misleading advertisement. I would say to resolve it, so the seller learns not to be sloppy (or not to be a liar).
No, you're not limited to all or nothing. However, as a seller, that's how I'd handle it. You're either happy or not. If you're not happy with it, return it.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM

I'm kind of for the presumption of innocence (although the 'just serviced' may count against that). Could some one have regreased the hubs (badly), say, and missed the cracked nipples?

I would try for the email, and if no response, I would leave neutral feedback, and mark him down on 'description' and 'communication' on the detailed feedback. But let him know that he needs to be more careful (if innocent) or he can't lie and get away with it (if deliberate deception).
Old 07-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Post negative feedback and move on. Future buyers will appreciate it.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:

i feel like the seller should not get away with this deceptive move without some consequence.
I would choose one or the other - not both.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 PM

Honestly, if you leave negative feedback you're faced with the same. I would take my lumps and like another poster said, a PSA on the forum would be the best way to ensure no one else has the same experience. Cheers!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:57 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDot View Post
Honestly, if you leave negative feedback you're faced with the same. I would take my lumps and like another poster said, a PSA on the forum would be the best way to ensure no one else has the same experience. Cheers!
sellers can't leave neg feedback
Old 07-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
sellers can't leave neg feedback
^This. A seller can respond to negative feedback. I have received items not as described before. Got an awesome Tommasini frame with a miniscule dent in the top tube which was not mentioned, bummer. I contacted the seller and he said send it back. I countered with I want to keep it but maybe a small discount could be offered. The seller was all over that option.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM

what would you do in this ebay situation - wheel content

You post neg feedback, that's how it works. But before ebay lets you do that its going to ask you to attempt a resolution by contacting the seller.

A lot of facts, but how about what was the seller's feedback & seller rating? Also, had he sold items similar before?

Typically I wouldn't bid on something that was super subjective re condition without quality pics. Seller gets 12 free pics & its not hard to take good pics. You can also divine much from the seller's descrip.

Clearly a lot of commentary by those who haven't an idea on how ebay works from either side of the fence. Ebay sucks because something was damaged in shipping? That can happen anytime something is shipped & w ebay you have at least an op for resolution. Incorrect mktg? Sure, as in any ad based buyer/seller situation. Use common sense. How's it go? If it's too good to be true, well it probably is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk