Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Suggestions for things to do on Oahu?

Greetings brethren!

We have an upcoming family vacation to Oahu. This will be our 1st time to Hawaii and I'd love to hear fellow Paceliner suggestions on great things to see, do, places to eat, etc while we're there. We're staying in the Turtle Bay area of the North Shore and plan on doing as much outdoors as possible. We have snorkeling, horseback riding, hiking, surf lessons, and lots of swimming on the agenda. Is there anything that is an absolute must see/do while we're there?

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Texbike
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 PM

I'd say #1 is make sure you have a rental car. Most people do, but just don't try and take the shuttle to Turtle Bay and call it good. Everything worth doing there requires a car.

In addition to the usual stuff you can find in a guide book (Waikiki, north shore, diamond head, etc.) is to consider—if you have the time, and it's your first trip to Hawaii—taking a day trip to the Big Island. If you're only there for a few days, forget it. But if you're there for 7-10, these whirlwind day trip tours are fun, and you can appreciate the difference among the islands. And the Big Island is amazing, lava flows and all!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Drive around the east side to see the Chinaman's Hat, the snorkeling in Hanama Bay, hiking to Diamond Head, Lazing on Waikiki Beach, The Punch Bowl Cemetery, which is the Arlington of the Pacific. Take in a sunset and nightly? hula dance demonstration on Waikiki.

If you go to the big island, make sure you eat at least one meal at Hawai'ian Style Café.

And honestly, Maui No Ka Oi!!!! If you go there, I will fill you with things to do.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 PM

My wife and I had a heck of a good time on a glider plane ride on the north shore. The cockpit is small and fits 2 regular size adults so you need to be very friendly with the other occupant. The experience of being in a plane with no motor is pretty cool and flying over the north shore was something I won't forget.

Eat some spam. No poi for me.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 PM

It sounds kind of lame but the Botanical Garden is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

This:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p98390356-3.jpg (118.7 KB, 183 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Stayed at Turtle Bay and it's pretty isolated. Definitely have a car. I go to Oahu with the military quite a bit. Hang out, hike and relax. Go to Diamond Head. Avoid Waikiki, tourist trap. Eat lots of fresh fish.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 PM
You still here?

I lived on Oahu for 12 years. Hawaii is very much like a foreign country; sights, sounds, smells, foods and language are all different than what you're used to. If I were to go back I would just drive, it's truly beautiful almost anywhere. Find what looks like dive restaurants in ethnic neighborhoods, food's most likely great.

Trying to cram 10 pounds of vacation in a 5 pound bag can leave you tired and frustrated. I'm a big fan of slow down and discover. Unexpected pleasures are doubly sweet. Don't have a rigid schedule. Turn left because the road looks so inviting. Stop and smell the Plumeria.

When I first arrived in Hawaii, what seems like a hundred years ago, there were still private homes on Waikiki beach.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Rent a car and head out to the North Shore, just a gorgeous drive and a great way to spend the day. There's also a great nature park (whose name escapes me atm) near the North Shore that you can spend many hours in.

Or.. if not wanting to drive, even just walking around the area of Waikiki Beach is a fun time. Lot's of cool shops and hole in the wall restaurants. Many people say it's too crowded and touristy - and it is - but imo it's still a very enjoyable place to visit.

Have a great time, wish we were going too!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 AM

I don't think it was specifically mentioned, but Pearl Harbor is a must-see. The Arizona memorial is incredibly poignant. My daughter was 10 when we took her there and even at that young age it made a big impression on her.

Greg
Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all of the great advice and suggestions so far! Please keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
I'd say #1 is make sure you have a rental car. a day trip to the Big Island. If you're only there for a few days, forget it. But if you're there for 7-10, these whirlwind day trip tours are fun, and you can appreciate the difference among the islands. And the Big Island is amazing, lava flows and all!
Absolutely! We definitely plan to have a rental for the week. However, we're limiting the trip to Oahu this time. The Big Island sounds amazing. We'll save that for another trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
My wife and I had a heck of a good time on a glider plane ride on the north shore. The experience of being in a plane with no motor is pretty cool and flying over the north shore was something I won't forget.
That sounds like fun! Interestingly, I took 2 years of glider lessons in my early/mid teens before being distracted by cars and girls. I haven't been in a sailplane in over 20 years. I'd love to fly in one again and have the kids experience it. That has definitely been added to the list. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Trying to cram 10 pounds of vacation in a 5 pound bag can leave you tired and frustrated. I'm a big fan of slow down and discover. Unexpected pleasures are doubly sweet. Don't have a rigid schedule. Turn left because the road looks so inviting. Stop and smell the Plumeria.
I love it! Thanks Dave. Turning left because the road looks inviting is a regular habit of mine and somewhat frustrating to my wife at times. However, we've discovered some really cool places over the years that we wouldn't have otherwise. And yes, no rushing/cramming for us. One "major" activity (horses, gliders, kayaking, etc) each day. The rest of the time - chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I don't think it was specifically mentioned, but Pearl Harbor is a must-see. The Arizona memorial is incredibly poignant. My daughter was 10 when we took her there and even at that young age it made a big impression on her.

Greg
This is on the list for the first day when we land in Honolulu. Kind of a requisite stop.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions everyone!

Mike

Last edited by texbike; 07-20-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 AM

It was a long time ago, but we enjoyed snorkeling at Hanama (?) Bay.
A maybe on the Polynesian Cultural Center.
These days, I'd do the train museum out west.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Shrimp trucks...
Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM

To Do on Oahu

I would suggest:

Northshore:
- Haleiwa Town. Great community, surf town, laid back.
- Kono's and Haleiwa Beach House are two great places to eat.
- Matsumoto Shaved Ice is an institution and a MUST!
- Dole Pineapple Plantation Tour if you want to learn about the history of the island plus all the pineapple juice you can drink
- Alii Beach is a super cool place to catch the sunset. I think also it is a spot that was commonly used to film Baywatch back in the day so let us know if you spot "The Hoff" lounging around! ;P

Honolulu:
- Kona Coffee Co./B. Patisierre - Hawaiian coffee can hang with some of the best beans in the world! B. Patisierre is a new location of a baker in San Francisco. The pastries are like you are in Europe! No joke. Owner was trained in Paris and here is SF her store has a line ALL DAY!
- Ala Moana Shopping Center is always popular if you like shopping malls
- Side Street Inn (close to Ala Moana Shopping Center) Probably the worst kept secret but it's where many of the islands best chef's go to grab a meal and unwind.
- Alan Wong's - Make reservation. Upscale and nice place to go for date night.
- Pearl Harbor : BOOOK TIX for USS Arizona Memorial EARLY as it tends to sell out. Truly a moving experience even if you have no affinity toward WWII.
-Hike Diamond Head - nice hike and great views.

Hanauma Bay - good place to snorkel and hang on the beach BUT go early as this place gets crowded.

Waikiki - as previously stated a total tourist trap BUT if it is your first time in Hawaii, go to the historic Moana Surfrider/Westin Hotel in the late afternoon. Grab a table beachside, order a drink (or two), watch the sunset! Forget everyone, and everything else going on and take it in. Drinks can be pricey, but you are on vacation! You really only need to do this once, but you will have experienced Hawaii. Afterward, then you can get sucked in to all of the touristy stuff...

Dress is super casual all the time: t-shirt/shorts/flip flops. If you go to a nice dinner a button down Hawaiian Shirt will do.

Hope this helps and wish you safe travels. Aloha...
Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 AM

I've been to Hawaii 3x.. we stayed in Waikiki both times we were on Oahu so didn't need a car every day, but where you're staying you should definitely have one.

Lots of good advice here, but I've done a lot of snorkeling and I would almost put Hanauma Bay as a skip. See if you can find another spot to go instead from a local. Hanauma bay is a very poor example of what Hawaii has to offer for snorkeling, maybe it was good 50 years ago but last time I was there it was pretty heavily damaged due to the ridiculous amount of tourist traffic there. There are all kinds of guys with vans who shuttle people from Waikiki all day long and that amount of traffic just seems to have had a detrimental effect. I don't really have a recommendation for another place on Oahu, I have had more snorkel time on the Big Island and Maui and it was 100x better than Hanauma bay.

You definitely need to take surfing lessons if you're fit and good swimmers (it's a pretty insane workout), also take a drive around the entire island and just stop and stare and take pictures. The north shore is not going to be "epic" in July but definitely drive along and look for the surf spots and hang out and watch. It's much better in the winter.. last time we were on Oahu was in the winter and we got to watch a pro surfing contest at Banzai Pipeline and that was a fantastic way to chill for an afternoon.

I really enjoyed hiking Diamond Head, and Pearl Harbor is so good I spent an entire day there both trips. The Aviation museum at Pearl Harbor is very good on top of the Arizona memorial. There are WW2 vets who still volunteer at the museum. One time I was there I got to walk through the museum with a guy who flew a B-24 in WW2, that is an experience that will not be available much longer! He was amazing to talk to.

The nightlife, shopping, and food in Honolulu is pretty great.. definitely spend time there.

I still haven't bothered to bike in Hawaii.. it is always on my list but there is so much else to do and I tend to get a ton of exercise in the water when I'm there. I was in Kona last winter and heavily debated it.. didn't bring my stuff at the last minute. There is a shop in Waikoloa (right on the Iron man route) which has super nice bikes with Di2 for rent.. but I was going to end up spending several hundred dollars on rental stuff and I hadn't brought my shoes/kit so it wouldn't have been that great. IME that whole Kona coast where Iron Man takes place is a terrible place for a roadie to ride. The Tri guys there seem to have little understanding that bike routes can be/should be fun. I talked to quite a few of them there who just go back and forth up the highway where the Iron Man takes place for their daily rides. It looks like the worst place on the island to ride to me.. not necessarily flat but very straight, no shade, through the Lava field the whole way, and cars going by at 70mph constantly.

Last edited by benb; 07-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.