Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 03:17 AM

Crank Bros Eggbeater models

I've got a pair of eggbeaters that I might try on my CX bike. Otoh, I might just sell them and stick with my Shimanos.

Can anyone tell me which model these are? I'm thinking they're either a "C" or "SL" model.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0245.jpg (66.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 AM

I don't think they're C - C had flats for using a pedal wrench instead of a hex key like most Crank Bros require to install

They look like SL to me

(Although C having flats, and SL not, might have been a year thing rather than consistent throughout the history of the product?)
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 AM
Vendor

Yes, SL.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks fellas!

Have any of you used Eggbeaters? How do you like them compared to Shimano MTB or A-series pedals for CX, gravel, touring, commuting?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:29 PM

I have them on my CX bike. I use Zeros on the road bike and need some float and a bit of right foot toe out. They fit the bill.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Vendor

Just keep an eye on the locknut and replace it frequently. I've seen too many come apart out on the trail. Sucks having the pedal body stuck to your shoe and the axle still on the crank arm ready to impale your calf, which I've seen on two occasions.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
Just keep an eye on the locknut and replace it frequently. I've seen too many come apart out on the trail. Sucks having the pedal body stuck to your shoe and the axle still on the crank arm ready to impale your calf, which I've seen on two occasions.
This is the first I've ever heard of this.. haven't ever had or seen that happen, in many years of use and being in the scene - can't be that prevalent.

My main complaint with Crank Bros pedals is that the brass cleats wear out really fast. So fast, I've been blaming the pedals for sucking, but replacing the cleats frequently seems to solve the problem of unintentional release.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Vendor

Maybe our group had a run of bad luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Lanterne rouge

Im my opinion they are the worst pedals out there. Stick to Shimano.
I cant tell you how many broken springs I have had over the years.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM
The B!

I can say they work really well in snow.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Came across this thread while trying to find out what model of Eggbeaters I have. I still haven't found that out, but I can comment on maintenance. By locknut, I presume you mean the aluminum endcap with a big screwdriver flat that screws into the end of the pedal. I would recommend tightening the endcaps frequently. Do that, and I bet you won't have to replace them.

I was starting to have lateral play in my pedals, and it turned out that the endcaps had worked a bit loose. Tightening them fixed that issue. I bet that pedaling with the endcaps loose isn't good for the bearings, and I'd guess this is why a number of Eggbeaters have come apart on trails. The guy at Crank Brothers who I spoke to advised me to tighten the endcaps regularly when I called about the lateral play. I bet most users just assume they don't need to tighten the endcaps. This isn't a crazy assumption, IMO, but it probably will benefit a lot of Eggbeater users.

The rep for the company didn't mention locktite on the endcap threads, but I bet it could help as well.

I agree that the cleats wear fast. The company's rationale, IIRC, was that better the cleats than the pedal wings, so they made the cleats of pretty soft brass.

Back to the original topic, I have a pair of Eggbeaters bought in 2005 or 2006 that had blue anodized endcaps (past tense due to the caps getting scratched). Gold spring, stainless steel axles, and I believe the wings are titanium (they are dark gray, and I think they're darker than the OP's wings). This is definitely not the Eggbeater 4ti, which has ti axles. I don't have any logo etched onto the axles. Other pics of the Eggbeater 2ti I've seen have had black anodized/coated axles and wings. Mine are definitely not black. But I'm fairly sure they're the 2tis. Does that sound right?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:20 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I have them on my CX bike. I use Zeros on the road bike and need some float and a bit of right foot toe out. They fit the bill.

x2
Old 07-21-2017, 06:10 AM

which model(s) lost this locknut?

Quote:

Hey Zank,

i havn't heard of this type of failure either,were these failures with this older "SL" type or the latest versions? of which I own several pairs and have been trouble free,but have not taken any apart yet to re grease or rebuild
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe our group had a run of bad luck.
I have had them fall apart during a ride once for sure and maybe twice.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Much prefer Time ATACs.

Every eggbeater I've used was garbage.