Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 11:21 AM

The thread about USED bike prices...

regarding certain styles of frames (old school lugged steel) by top tier frame builders' pre-owned frames not commanding premium dollars has brought up the general issue of the soft used bike market.

There were some comments that opined that the PL classifieds is a complete buyer's market for the last 18-24 months, and that it was better to sell on eBay than here. Well, I'd like to respectfully disagree and show my recent experience as a buyer and seller on eBay. About 4 months ago, I finally found one of my Grail bikes- an immaculate conception De Rosa Primato EL OS w/ Record 10 carbon, and OP hoops for $1500. I was quite pleased- in my 5 years of searching, I've seen framesets alone go for $1200-$1400. Another case in point is that another similar DR Primato in EL OS sold for $1000 for the frame & fork on the PL classifieds.

On eBay, I sold a pristine 2001 Fondriest Carb Level with 2006 Centaur 10 and Ksyrium Elites for $350. Judging by what I've seen here, I think I could have almost double my sales price by selling here, albeit that estimate is based on parting it out. (I know parting out a bike will yield greater selling prices, but how much more is the question).

So I ask my fellow forumites, what has been your experience? Is it better to sell here or the fleaBay?

Thanks!

Last edited by Nags&Ducs; 08-28-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:37 AM

deleted.

Last edited by mistermo; 08-28-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
how is this subject different than what's being debated in the other [languishing] thread? You don't want to comment on rs except your title is a comment in and of itself?!? If you don't want this to be about rs, then why not strike him from the title of the thread?
+1
Old 08-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
How is this subject different than what's being debated in the other [languishing] thread? You don't want to comment on RS except your title is a comment in and of itself?!? If you don't want this to be about RS, then why not strike him from the title of the thread? Seems this is more about ebay and PL classifieds.
It is all about eBay vs PL classifieds. But the RS thread raised the underlying issue, and I wanted those folks that commented on that thread to discuss the broader issue rather than why or why not used RS frames were fetching what they're fetching.

I was just trying to add a bit of levity with the mojo comment. Sorry you're a bit touchy about invoking RS in the title. I will strike it from the title if I'm able.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Really?

1. Why does RS need to be in the title here?
2. This has more dead horses than the first Spartacus.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM

deleted

Last edited by mistermo; 08-28-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
I will strike it from the title if I'm able.
Edit> Go advanced> change the words> save changes.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:37 PM

Markets for all kinds of things re price themselves all the time. Just look at what's happening around the world. Values of goods and services are changing all the time.

So if you take maybe $300 worth of tubes, dropouts, BB shells, etc......assembly them together with labor, tools and equipment, overhead, and knowhow.....what is that worth?...especially used? Especially when all the frame builders use similar materials. And....and this is a big "and".....lots of frame builders out there build a super quality frame. Built with terrific skills and perfectly straight. Underneath that paint (or do you just judge by the paint job) ..... lots of builders are doing a terrific job. How is one much different from another? (or why is one $1500 and another $4000) So I look at it as just the normal repricing of things in our world.....in no way reflecting on the builder himself. I know from experience that how one frame builder may make a frame just for you is worth something....angles, size, stability, contact point fit, etc...... But used?

I had a career with Merrill Lynch (retired in 98 at age 57)....a full service brokerage firm. Shucks.....that career hardly even exists anymore....or at least in a form I recognize. That whole industry has been re priced. Medical community going thru that now.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-28-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Was there 3 feet of snow or something this weekend?

The touchiness on both sides of RS is a little millenial, no? Go find your safe spaces on a bike. Egads
Old 08-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I never have and never would buy a bike, frame, wheels, bars or stem off of eBay. Those parts are most heavily involved in protecting my bacon. So for that stuff it's either here in Paceline, from other pals or riding buddies, or suck it up and buy new. I just don't trust stuff sold on eBay for the most part. Too anonymous or risky, unless, say, it was a bike shop selling inventory.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I never have and never would buy a bike, frame, wheels, bars or stem off of eBay. Those parts are most heavily involved in protecting my bacon. So for that stuff it's either here in Paceline, from other pals or riding buddies, or suck it up and buy new. I just don't trust stuff sold on eBay for the most part. Too anonymous or risky, unless, say, it was a bike shop selling inventory.
I've purchased 4 frames from eBay and numerous parts over the years and have had great luck with them. If someone wants vintage stuff in particular (which describes me) it's easily the place - it's not as though a Pogliaghi or Losa shows up in the classifieds here every day.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
eBay sellers sell many NEW bike parts for less than what you can find at your local brick and mortar store. And, if it's listed, they have it in stock. How many bike stores have you gone to or called looking for a specific part and their response is: " we can order it for you".

I can order it myself from eBay or an online retailer, usually for less.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM

I've bought 4 frames from this forum starting with SoCalSteve's BLE about 10 years ago. The price was fair, I knew what I was getting, and I still have it. I've also bought two GT's and most recently a Ti Serotta, all reasonably priced really nice bikes.

I've also purchased a stem and a saddle here as well. Again, I knew what I was getting and had no doubts about the seller.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:33 PM

I don't have a problem buying on eBay, even though I've been burned once from the 4 bikes/frames that I bought. I learned a lesson when buying on eBay and that is to be wary when the ad shows crappy pictures. If a seller won't bother to post high quality close ups of a bike or frame they're selling, I won't even bother asking for better pics because usually they have something to hide.

I've bought the majority of my bikes on CL, and a few at dealers, but none here on the PL classifieds. I have bought a few smaller things like King cages, wheels, dérailleurs, etc but have yet to buy a bike or frame here. I don't think I've ever sold anything on here either. That being said, I would have the most confidence in whatever I buy here, because most sellers are well known and have great reputations.

But as far as where to get the best deals, it seems to me that the eBay market place for bikes and bike parts is more depressed, even though you increase your buying audience. As others mentioned, the availability and ease of certain things like vintage parts make buying on eBay easier and more attractive. Seems a win as a buyer. Otoh, it seems you'd do better as a seller here because folks are willing to pay for piece of mind, knowing that your odds of getting burned are slim.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:56 PM

I'm more of a buyer/hoarder, but on the whole, I think transactions on PL offer a relatively good reflection of the market. Hang around long enough, and you will also find sellers that are a bit optimistic, as well as those selling at a discount, for a quick/painless sale among fellow enthusiasts. I've been known to pay a little more, and accept a little less, in the name of reduced drama. Also fun to be able to open the parts drawer to help get another members project out of the garage.

Based on past experience with other e-groups, this is typical.