Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
I was *this* close to purchasing an Audi A6 Allroad recently.
Every single Audi vehicle coming to this country sadly must now come with a sunroof. Uggh.

That feature is a dealbreaker to me. It contributes to bicycles not being transported upright.
To their credit, Audi North America did everything they could to get a hardtop model brought here.
If you want to stay in the family, Q5 or Q7 would give you more headroom.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-26-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Every single Audi vehicle coming to this country sadly must now come with a sunroof. Uggh.

That feature is a dealbreaker to me. It contributes to bicycles not being transported upright.
To their credit, Audi North America did everything they could to get a hardtop model brought here.
If you want to stay in the family, Q5 or Q7 would give you more headroom.

...or maybe a Volvo 245 with the ambulance package...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.03.28 AM.jpg (33.8 KB, 123 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Do you mean upright inside the car or outside?

The only vehicle I've found comfortable to just roll in 1 or 2 or 5 bikes was my old Land Rover Discovery with the seats flipped up (and yes, it was trouble free until its end at 13 years old and 155k). Even the big American SUV's I've rented on trips (Expedition Max and Tahoe) struggled with upright and I'm on a 54 with a 74cm saddle height.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:09 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
"...This whole discussion has led me to make an appointment with a mechanic specializing in Hondas, and to have him evaluate my 2008 Fit to see what work can be done to ensure its continued reliability..."
There must be a powerful bigwig executive at Honda who truly loves bicycles.
Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, and the (departed) Honda Element are superb bicycle haulers.

Might go see what cargo capability of Honda Passport is to carry bicycles.
The design of the Honda Fit is pure genius between the deck height and massive hatchback opening.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
That sux. I test drove a Toyota RAV4 Prime on Saturday, and with the moonroof I have less than a couple of inches of headroom, and I'm 5'9" on a good day.

This whole discussion has led me to make an appointment with a mechanic specializing in Hondas, and to have him evaluate my 2008 Fit to see what work can be done to ensure its continued reliability.
Interesting! Is there an option to get it without a moonroof? Ive owned two cars(older), both with moon/sunroofs, and both have given me issues with the drains becoming clogged or broken and causing leaks throughout the vehicle.

Another datapoint, my buddy has a newer(17 or '18) GTI, and he developed random puddles on his floormats, and when he took it to the dealer, they replaced all the sunroof stuff... at least it was under warranty! But those things are a pain!
Old 04-26-2021, 09:15 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
"...Do you mean upright inside the car or outside?..."
Preference is for bicycles to have forks in a clamp (mounted to a wooden board) with rear wheels against front seatbacks.
Handlebars pointed towards rear of vehicle. Front wheels carried in individual wheelbags also inside car.

I am not a fan of exterior bicycle transportation. Potential for damage to the bicycle and inconvenient to even stop for a quick bite during roadtrips due to theft risk. Much better in my situation to keep 'em inside.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Another datapoint, my buddy has a newer(17 or '18) GTI, and he developed random puddles on his floormats, and when he took it to the dealer, they replaced all the sunroof stuff... at least it was under warranty! But those things are a pain!
All the VAG cars are pretty well known for having sunroof drainage problems, and most are solved by preventive cleaning of the drains every six months or so...and by not parking under leafy trees...

Then there's the C5 A6 windshield trim leak issue, but I digress...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-26-2021, 09:20 AM

or...

Quote:
my buddy has a newer(17 or '18) GTI, and he developed random puddles on his floormats,
I can recommend a good urologist...

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-26-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
All the VAG cars are pretty well known for having sunroof drainage problems, and most are solved by preventive cleaning of the drains every six months or so...and by not parking under leafy trees...
All trees have leaves. If there's a vehicle that can't or shouldn't be parked under a tree, well, that's a sure fire dealbreaker for me.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:02 AM

The very base model has no moonroof, but the moonroof is packaged with the cold weather features that are very nice in an EV (heated seats and steering wheel) to preserve range.

Quote:
Interesting! Is there an option to get it without a moonroof? Ive owned two cars(older), both with moon/sunroofs, and both have given me issues with the drains becoming clogged or broken and causing leaks throughout the vehicle.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Do you mean upright inside the car or outside?

The only vehicle I've found comfortable to just roll in 1 or 2 or 5 bikes was my old Land Rover Discovery with the seats flipped up (and yes, it was trouble free until its end at 13 years old and 155k). Even the big American SUV's I've rented on trips (Expedition Max and Tahoe) struggled with upright and I'm on a 54 with a 74cm saddle height.
my honda odyssey will take plenty of wheels on bikes, no problem.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:05 AM

I should make up one of these, it's a very good idea. We do put the bikes in as you suggest, and then bungee them one to each side. That leaves the center of the space for the pup, and the luggage

When we moved to MV in 2010, I had four bikes in the back of the Fit, front wheels off, staggered facing front/rear. Amazing little car!

Quote:
Preference is for bicycles to have forks in a clamp (mounted to a wooden board) with rear wheels against front seatbacks.
Handlebars pointed towards rear of vehicle. Front wheels carried in individual wheelbags also inside car.

I am not a fan of exterior bicycle transportation. Potential for damage to the bicycle and inconvenient to even stop for a quick bite during roadtrips due to theft risk. Much better in my situation to keep 'em inside.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:13 AM
Administrator

yep.

depending on saddle height i've found that technique to be pretty easy to accomplish with most hatchbacks.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
"...I had four bikes in the back of the Fit, front wheels off, staggered facing front/rear. Amazing little car!..."
Agree with you 100%!

Between the brilliant Honda Fit and the luxurious Honda Odyssey...this factory has two great vehicles that accommodates people and cargo.
Many other manufacturers require one to accept (silly) three-row vehicle to even vaguely approach cargo capability of the Honda models.

Sunroofs are maddening. They reduce torsional rigidity, can develop leaks, can develop rattles, and make cars heavier...all while reducing headroom. Were I to magically become CEO of a vehicle manufacturer...that is a feature that would always be purely and entirely optional.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Agree with you 100%!

Between the brilliant Honda Fit and the luxurious Honda Odyssey...this factory has two great vehicles that accommodates people and cargo.
Many other manufacturers require one to accept (silly) three-row vehicle to even vaguely approach cargo capability of the Honda models.

Sunroofs are maddening. They reduce torsional rigidity, can develop leaks, can develop rattles, and make cars heavier...all while reducing headroom. Were I to magically become CEO of a vehicle manufacturer...that is a feature that would always be purely and entirely optional.
maybe they improved over the years, but i test drove a Fit years ago, and just couldnt get over how gutless the engine was. i dont need or expect a sports car or anything, but it was just so underpowered in my opinion that it would really be a drag to drive, especially on the freeway at high speeds or in the mountains with a lot of hills.

my odyssey on the other hand with the V6 is a superb driver. plenty of power even loaded down with people and cargo. i dont have a sunroof either