Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2014, 10:14 AM

It was time for new cranksets. My 7 year old record cranks (while still nice) are about the same thing you buy with super record today. The new crankset still appears to use the UT spindle (best I've installed/used) but will likely result in better shifting (stiffer ring mounts) and probably a lighter weight. To me, that is exactly the "upgrade here and there" you are asking for.

I see potato's point. I would like to see Athena get Ultrashift and UT back. I think it would be cool if it also switched to the pre-skeleton record differential brakes. Add a closed RD cage like c-record and you would have a pretty slick high end alloy option. Even if it was chorus pricing, I think it sells.

I would vote veloce stays but that is to selfishly feed my 10spd bias. The current group isnt as nice as years past, but is a great budget group.

Campagnolo/fulcrum wheels are a great product. I would like to see two silver options return though. Khamsins and zondas in silver would be perfect. Iven just one of the two would be acceptable.

I don't MTB either and my single speed is campy minus the white industries rear hub

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-12-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Strong Walker

Deltas come from a time when racers used 20mm, sissies used 23mm, and 25mm+ was for commuters and tandems.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
- Record C cranksets but in ultra torque and 11 silver chainrings, another winner.
the centaur UT cranks are basically this. just clean off the branding with some paint stripper and they look like c-record. hell, there's a dude that'll even engrave the campy shield in 'em so they'll look proper.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:50 AM

^ Wow! I never thought about that but you are absolutely correct. Those cranks look like an updated version of the C Record!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Yep. Campy makes, or has made, all the parts needed to do a nice modernized c-record release in either 10 or 11spd. Maybe they should take veloce to 11 and then bump Athena to a high end retro throwback.

Race:

Mechanical:
Chorus - as is today, entry race group black/carbon
Record - as is today, default race group black/carbon
Super Record - as is today, halo group black carbon

Eps: (like above but electronic)
Chorus
Record
Super record

Non race:

Touring/rando:
Veloce - 11 in black or silver alloy, triple or compact option, short or standard reach calipers, maybe ultra torque for standardization but keep the new eps style powershift. (Think current chorus quality)

Vintage:
Athena - silver alloy only. Ultra torque, ultra shift, pre-skeleton differential brakes, current Athena deraillers, simple mid-90s style branding
(Think current record quality)

Veloce and Athena would both jump up about two price brackets, but rather than being an entry level 10 and11 group,veloce would be a mid level purpose built rando group and Athena would be high end vintage throwback. I don't think either group would canibalize chorus or record despite similar pricing. Veloce and chorus would have different uses. Record and Athena would be best suited for completely different frames. Chorus and record would be sold on weight. Veloce would be sold on gearing and tire clearance options, and Athena would sell on retro appeal.

Example of the ideal customer:
Cross bike - chorus
Rando bike - veloce
Steel road - Athena
Carbon race - SR EPS

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
the centaur UT cranks are basically this. just clean off the branding with some paint stripper and they look like c-record. hell, there's a dude that'll even engrave the campy shield in 'em so they'll look proper.

This is very cool. Very.

Cost?

However the wider crank arm of the UT crank looks better, more balanced, with the original graphics from several feet away. IMHO.

Beautiful Colnago.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:11 AM

Well after a wtb on the forum, I think I am happy with how things look and perform.

3 pivot record deltas
90s football pads/holders
00s record ti hardware*

*donated from my commuter. The commuter got standard chorus hardware found on the forum.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Well after a wtb on the forum, I think I am happy with how things look and perform.

3 pivot record deltas
90s football pads/holders
00s record ti hardware*

*donated from my commuter. The commuter got standard chorus hardware found on the forum.
It will now be interesting, after a few rides, if you start looking for 5-pivot Deltas... Some may argue that the are more modulators than brakes. Lot of it depends on how and where you ride of course. The single pivot Record/SR are no great shakes either really. It's all relative.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
It will now be interesting, after a few rides, if you start looking for 5-pivot Deltas... Some may argue that the are more modulators than brakes. Lot of it depends on how and where you ride of course. The single pivot Record/SR are no great shakes either really. It's all relative.
They are speed controllers, not 'brakes' no doubt. Compared to Campagnolo DP, they are not as strong but set up right, they stop just fine..I use them everyday on my EPS Merckx MXLeader and intend to put a new set of 5 pivots(thanks Mattbotak!!) onto my 'spare' MXLeader with C-Record/friction setup.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
They are speed controllers, not 'brakes' no doubt. Compared to Campagnolo DP, they are not as strong but set up right, they stop just fine..I use them everyday on my EPS Merckx MXLeader and intend to put a new set of 5 pivots(thanks Mattbotak!!) onto my 'spare' MXLeader with C-Record/friction setup.
I agree with you. It's really just more of a statement for younger folks who might be doing a retro build. If you have never ridden the old single pivot or yes, first gen deltas, they do not work like current dual pivot brakes. I ride far more often on the old stuff than the new, but I do like the combo of DP in front with SP in the rear. It's a nice balance.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 AM

I've ridden a number of single pivot setups. These brakes actually replace monoplanars.

I only did a shakedown ride, but these pads made a noticeable improvement on how they feel. It's only been the one ride, but I would say they best many of the single pivot and cantilever setups I've tried and are no worse than any of them. They also work better than a set of house brand dual pivots I briefly had. My favorite setup for performance is still record differential brakes but I'm not disappointed that I bought these.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I've ridden a number of single pivot setups. These brakes actually replace monoplanars.

I only did a shakedown ride, but these pads made a noticeable improvement on how they feel. It's only been the one ride, but I would say they best many of the single pivot and cantilever setups I've tried and are no worse than any of them. They also work better than a set of house brand dual pivots I briefly had. My favorite setup for performance is still record differential brakes but I'm not disappointed that I bought these.

Just because they "replaced" the monoplaners (which I love more than deltas) doesn't mean they are/were "better", simply a different idea to sell. I like the deltas but they too have their pros/cons.

Pads, cables and housing properly routed and made up, all can make a noticeably difference in a brakes performance, within the limits of the design.

They are pretty (if a little bulky in appearance) and definitely unique. Enjoy them!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:48 AM

Sorry, I meant I replaced the monoplanars on my bike with the deltas. I was giving you a reference point for the braking performance the bike had before the deltas were mounted. Happy I made the switch but to your point, I don't think I am selling the monoplanars. Mine are the late ones that came with the late pad holders as pictured above. They are also a beautiful brake.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-26-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 PM

A huge lab ran out of some long roadside grass right in front of me. The deltas did the job. Not as good as record duals, but good enough for me to keep.