Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Keep the bike, nothing wrong with it.

If you're going to commute on it, get some slicks and lockout your suspension. When it's race time, put on some knobbies or race slicks and you're in business.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:33 PM

I'd sell the Trek and get a 29er hardtail from the past two years. Then get a good wheel-set and go tubeless. Don't waste any money upgrading the Trek
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

for commuting any fs is overkill and mostly dead weight. but depends on if you're actually commuting by bike on a regular basis.
if you are, then i'd get used 29er or hybrid on cl and put fenders and lights on it.

keep the trek for mtb and if you find yourself enjoying the trails then replace it with something from within the last few years. no need to upgrade anything.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
for commuting any fs is overkill and mostly dead weight. but depends on if you're actually commuting by bike on a regular basis.
if you are, then i'd get used 29er or hybrid on cl and put fenders and lights on it.

keep the trek for mtb and if you find yourself enjoying the trails then replace it with something from within the last few years. no need to upgrade anything.
I doubt there are any hills to speak on his commute. OTOH if his pavement is as bad as ours he may find that fat tires AND FS is rather nice. It's like riding in a 1990 Buick Roadmonster.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:06 PM

I have not done the Lumberjack 100 but have ridden the trails where the race is located. My opinion is keep the Fuel with the full suspension. I have buddies that have done the Lumberjack and they say a full suspension is the way to go. I have a 26er hardtail and raced the Big M event in July and wished I had a full suspension on part of the course. Much of it is smooth but there are some sections with roots. Hope this helps. Matthew
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone, you confirmed my feelings of just riding what i have.

If Ricky McDonald can ride the leadville trail 100 21 years on the same bike, mine is capable of another year of riding trails with an event or 2 thrown in.