Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
... to see if the photos that Baron Blubba posts in the Photos from your Rides thread are real or generated by AI.

I am regarding the lost $54 as a payment credited to my annual Stupidity Tax.
First, the photos are real. I try to get out there a few times/year (I live closer to DC).

Second, that sucks. I've taken to checking directly with hotel/airline/etc websites for pricing - very often it's not more expensive to book direct vs an aggregator/3rd party.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:32 AM

As others have mentioned, you can often score a pretty cheap price on an aggregator site like Hotels.com or Orbitz/Expedia or whatever.

But if anything goes wrong, you can't speak directly with the hotel/airline, you have to deal with the aggregator - and you will be summarily ignored.

I was left high and dry in a really bad situation by Expedia one time, and that was the final straw. No more aggregator sites, ever, no exceptions. Book directly through an airline or the hotel.

Actually, now that I think of it, you can also book trips directly through your credit card, and if anything goes wrong, the credit card company will wrangle on your behalf. So that's another option if you want to use your CC points.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
As others have mentioned, you can often score a pretty cheap price on an aggregator site like Hotels.com or Orbitz/Expedia or whatever.

But if anything goes wrong, you can't speak directly with the hotel/airline, you have to deal with the aggregator - and you will be summarily ignored.

I was left high and dry in a really bad situation by Expedia one time, and that was the final straw. No more aggregator sites, ever, no exceptions. Book directly through an airline or the hotel.

Actually, now that I think of it, you can also book trips directly through your credit card, and if anything goes wrong, the credit card company will wrangle on your behalf. So that's another option if you want to use your CC points.
What's interesting is that the prices aren't lower in my cases. I had the same experience with both TripAdvisor and Expedia and got hosed both times, and now I can add Priceline to my list.

Book direct!
Old 03-27-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Snip

The site unethical thing is the way the site creates a website that appears as the legitimate hotel. It often just takes photos off the legitimate site.

The best way to fight this website is to complain to the real company. I did this with IHG for Paris Le Grand. I think Wyndam hotels are in a better position to sue GuestReservations for stealing IP (photos from the legitimate hotel websites and other scrappings). It won't make the company stop impersonating all hotels, but it may stop the wyndam hotels from being impersonated by GuestReservations.
I called Wyndham and they told me they don't own the hotels, so each is independently owned and they can make their own deals with the aggregator. Then I called the number off of the legit reservation just to make sure i actually had a reservation, since unlike Reservations.com, they don't charge you until you arrive!
Old 03-27-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
No more aggregator sites, ever, no exceptions. Book directly through an airline or the hotel.
^^This^^

IIRC, some of the hotel and airline sites "guarantee" best prices on their own sites.

I always book direct; I see no reason to do otherwise.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-27-2024, 11:17 AM

edited

Quote:
I cancelled the Reservations.com reservation but lost the non-refundable $54 service fee.

My wife recently ran into this issue and noticed that the operator never answered in the affirmative that they work at the hotel. She was able to nix the first transaction and interacted with hotel staff.....less flufff fees.

Call your CC company and plead your case.

Last edited by zap; 03-27-2024 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:01 PM

Re Travel

I've found Chase to be helpful if booking travel directly through them. I've often used them especially on trips where I thought there may be weather related issues. They've been super helpful getting things moving again.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I called Wyndham and they told me they don't own the hotels, so each is independently owned and they can make their own deals with the aggregator. Then I called the number off of the legit reservation just to make sure i actually had a reservation, since unlike Reservations.com, they don't charge you until you arrive!
I'm surprised at this. It must be a franchise license or something. One of our funds owned several hotels, and had long-term management contracts in place with one of the big brands. The Hotel Brand was very controlling, and there is no way they'd let us make aggregator deals on properties which could impact the brand perception.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:28 PM
slower than you

Quote:

I get it, and I have had a few issues, but many more good experiences with Booking.com. I have driven across the country four times in the past ten years, and spent two two month periods traveling in Italy, and I marvelled at the ease of booking a bed on my phone on short notice. I even did it once cycling up in the hills over Saratoga Springs when I was on the fence whether or not to stay in town overnight, and, bam, room with ten miles to go.
Covid rocked the industry, of course, and things are different. Recently, like I said, I used Orbitz to find a hotel in Red River NM, when Booking had none. Be flexible. And use TripAdvisor to cross reference for reviews, especially in Europe.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:07 PM

You can also report the fraud to the company that hosts the website.

I don't mess with it anymore. IMHO there is no such thing as a 'discount' I go straight to the hotel or airline website and book.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:49 PM

After some issues with internet booking, now I just call the hotel and book through the desk clerk.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:56 PM

double post
Old 03-27-2024, 03:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
I'm a nitwit, as many have noticed.

I look further and then go to the Wyndham site and re-book, and what I was charged $666 for on the Reservations.com site is $525. Both have the basic room charges of $472, but the scam site adds $140 of taxes and fees, and a service fee of $54. The actual taxes/fees are $53.

Geez, at those prices I would have offered you a room in my home at a 10% discount and even served you a complimentary mug of boojee coffee and some homemade banana walnut 'bread' (aka cake, if we're being honest) in the morning.*

*Snorers pay double and must forfeit their slice of 'cake' to me.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Geez, at those prices I would have offered you a room in my home at a 10% discount and even served you a complimentary mug of boojee coffee and some homemade banana walnut 'bread' (aka cake, if we're being honest) in the morning.*

*Snorers pay double and must forfeit their slice of 'cake' to me.
Geez yourself, the real price for a room with two beds, all in, is $87.50. That's lower than any other lodging I've stayed at in the past few years. And I got two beds in case I can find a roommate/ridemate!

Now, you are still on the hook for the Baron's Royal Guide Service Package that appeared to be bundled with the room. Banana nut bread or no.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
What's interesting is that the prices aren't lower in my cases. I had the same experience with both TripAdvisor and Expedia and got hosed both times, and now I can add Priceline to my list.

Book direct!
They are down to just catching a few people who are not paying attention. (no offense to you)

Best advice is to simply ignore all those scammers on a permanent basis.