Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2024, 08:53 PM
n - 1

I use Waze on road trips. Alerts for road debris, traffic, and speed traps are useful (I sold off my Val 1 after using this app for a while).

I’ve never liked Apple Maps. I only use Google and Waze.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
The only time I use Waze is on trips to know location of police.
Waze has saved me a few times. Lots of police in MD and DE when we travel during holidays to VA.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:55 AM

Quite often, I need a real-time TRAFFIC feed. An app called INRIX was the best out there, but they went away (for whatever reason) a ~year ago. I've seen nothing that came close to that great app.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:58 AM

I use Apple Maps whenever I think I can but have always had Waze.

Waze feels incredibly spyware-ish. The way it tries to keep tracking you (iPhone) after you're done is very icky.

Sometimes it just does get the best routing though.

I mostly don't care about police warnings. My car is as stealth as can be, the police can't see station wagons. And the police here don't really pull you over till you make the jump to light speed (~90mph) which my car really doesn't like to do. But Waze also seems to do police warnings better than anyone else.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:25 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Quite often, I need a real-time TRAFFIC feed. An app called INRIX was the best out there, but they went away (for whatever reason) a ~year ago. I've seen nothing that came close to that great app.
They are still around....maybe they don't do consumer stuff anymore. They are big with municipalities, shipping companies and auto manufacturers.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
They are still around....maybe they don't do consumer stuff anymore. They are big with municipalities, shipping companies and auto manufacturers.
Aw geez - I didn't even see any subscription possibility with them after they shut down to consumers. That was the best app of its kind out there, IMO.....
Old 03-19-2024, 09:36 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I mostly don't care about police warnings. My car is as stealth as can be, the police can't see station wagons. And the police here don't really pull you over till you make the jump to light speed (~90mph) which my car really doesn't like to do. But Waze also seems to do police warnings better than anyone else.
Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. I’ve been pulled over twice in the last 8 years. First time was in our old 100% stock green Subaru Outback, doing 77 in a 70 driving out in rural Wyoming. He must’ve been bored.

Second was in our current Kia Telluride. Which is basically a wagon (it’s actually got less ground clearance than the Outback). Doing 8 over.

Just the other day, I saw a minivan pulled over. The police don’t care.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:43 AM

I still use Waze for the warnings. I do find that you need to be careful in certain traffic situations when it reroutes you. I have suffered from the "Waze effect", where it suggests an alternative route on smaller side roads, and enough people follow its advice to quickly jam up those roads.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:13 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. I’ve been pulled over twice in the last 8 years. First time was in our old 100% stock green Subaru Outback, doing 77 in a 70 driving out in rural Wyoming. He must’ve been bored.

Second was in our current Kia Telluride. Which is basically a wagon (it’s actually got less ground clearance than the Outback). Doing 8 over.

Just the other day, I saw a minivan pulled over. The police don’t care.
probably just checking to see if it was stolen....