Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2023, 10:39 PM
Sunshine

I geeked on Resolutes for a bit, but looking back- the supple sidewalls really were just poorly designed/manufactured sidewalls. Those things wept like nothing else. The only things comparable based on reviews are how terrible RH tires are to seal up.

Took them off twice and neither tire would seal tubeless for that 3rd m9inting attempt.

Just terrible quality control.

They make a + version. But not in tan wall. Lame.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:44 PM

Interesting. I’ve used them for years. No issues with weeping whatsoever. So many variables I imagine. I live in a desert climate so who knows maybe humidity has something to do with it. On the other hand the stuff I ride could rarely be considered loamy hero gravel. Classic west coast chunk…not easy on tires at all. I’ve abused them, done long bike packing trips with them, and have been pleased.

What I will say though is stay away from WTB Byway. They are heavy and (for me) they don’t roll nearly as well as they look like they might. Just kinda dead feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I geeked on Resolutes for a bit, but looking back- the supple sidewalls really were just poorly designed/manufactured sidewalls. Those things wept like nothing else. The only things comparable based on reviews are how terrible RH tires are to seal up.

Took them off twice and neither tire would seal tubeless for that 3rd m9inting attempt.

Just terrible quality control.

They make a + version. But not in tan wall. Lame.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
Hot take, the ultradynamico rose jff has been excellent. Fast rolling, has been plenty in wet and dry Marin single track and fireroad and no issues so far.
/concur/

-I would definitely try this UD tire in the 700x42??-size if I could
-Rene Herse Steilacoom (700x38)/Hurricane Ridge (700x42) in Standard Casing would be great I think, too
-Vittoria Terreno Dry 700x40 (these run a bit small in 700x38)

I would think of which attribute (suppleness/robustness) you are willing to sacrifice a little to get the other one.

-The Vittorias are probably just a hair more robust, but I doubt will be as "terrain massaging" (as Romance Ronnie puts it) as the UD or the RH knobby tires.

-Traction on mud would be better on the RH/UD than the Terreno

-There is a significant price increase on the RH tires over the other two, and I would want to see what UD was bringing to the table at $65 (IMO a fair price for a nice quality tire)

Edit: According to bicyclerollingresistance.com, RH knobbies roll faster, but weigh a bit more. They have no data on Ultradynamico, but website claims 485g for the 700x42??https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...eno-dry-tlr-40

Here in the midwest we try a ton of different gravel tires. I have no personal experience with the aforementioned tire models, but have read a metric tonne of reviews, as well as surveying the masses of gravel racers in my locality. I currently ride the RH Bon Jon Pass, but encounter very little mud. I'd honestly just try the Ultradynamicos, all things considered.

Last edited by carlucci1106; 01-06-2023 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:58 AM

Panaracer is generally my go to for this. I haven't really had any durability issues. I've used Steliacooms and honestly can't tell the difference, for the extra $50 apiece.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:11 AM

FWIW I've run RH tires only with tubes, never bothered to set up tubeless, and have only flatted once. That was with 32mm stampede passes in the extra light casing. No flats on barlow passes or oracle ridges. I've also had great luck with panaracer paselas. The most troublesome gravel tires I've run re flats were a shortlived period with panaracer smooth gravelkings, which I set up tubeless, had multiple punctures that sealant wouldn't seal, and had to stuff with a tube anyways to get home.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
If you're in Europe, the Tufo Thunderos have been well reviewed: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ravel-thundero
I have the Tufo Speeduro in a 40 and it is my favorite tire to date. Good combo of roll and grip, holds air great and has been real durable. Prefer over the Challenge, Conti and Schwable versions I have had
Old 01-06-2023, 08:42 AM

I know this isn't really out of the box thinking but I was very very happy with the Conti Terra Speed 40mm. I switched to a slick Pannaracer for commuting and it felt like a huge downgrade in terms of suppleness. Neither tyre has given me any flat trouble.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:58 AM

Specialized Tracer.

I don't know why it doesn't get more love. Its on the same casing as the Pathfinder Pro that people seem to love, which means its bulletproof and rolls pretty quick, but its got a tread pattern that works on most surfaces. Its got a bit of a dentist drill sound on pavement, but most small knob tires do. I'm on my third pair and love them.

The 38mm is a 42mm on my 25mm internal wheels, it barely fits in my frame. I wonder how big the 42mm casing is.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Specialized Tracer.

I don't know why it doesn't get more love. Its on the same casing as the Pathfinder Pro that people seem to love, which means its bulletproof and rolls pretty quick, but its got a tread pattern that works on most surfaces. Its got a bit of a dentist drill sound on pavement, but most small knob tires do. I'm on my third pair and love them.

The 38mm is a 42mm on my 25mm internal wheels, it barely fits in my frame. I wonder how big the 42mm casing is.

Love my Pathfinder Pros. Wouldn't hesitate to get the Tracer if I needed more knob.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:26 PM

While I have had really good luck with the WTB Resolutes, I currently ride the Pathfinder Pro 42s and like them a lot. I rarely ride in wet/muddy conditions but they have done surprisingly well the few times I have had to ride them through mud.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
FWIW I've run RH tires only with tubes, never bothered to set up tubeless, and have only flatted once. That was with 32mm stampede passes in the extra light casing. No flats on barlow passes or oracle ridges. I've also had great luck with panaracer paselas. The most troublesome gravel tires I've run re flats were a shortlived period with panaracer smooth gravelkings, which I set up tubeless, had multiple punctures that sealant wouldn't seal, and had to stuff with a tube anyways to get home.
Interesting. I was assuming. GKSK for the OP, but haven't personally had any trouble with either the slicks or knobbies. Also running RH with tubes because tubeless has been hit or miss for me.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Interesting. I was assuming. GKSK for the OP, but haven't personally had any trouble with either the slicks or knobbies. Also running RH with tubes because tubeless has been hit or miss for me.
Don't recommend GKSK for wet or muddy conditions. Love them for dry stuff though.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:26 PM

I like WTB Raddlers.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:47 PM

I like the IRC Boken and if a bit narrower, Challenge Almanzo in 33 is another great off the smooth roads tire.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:13 AM

What did you end up with ?