Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 10:09 AM

Spring /Fall Jacket recommendation.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death.
I need to replace a gore windbreaker that finally bit the dust after 10 years.

I am looking for something that would do well between say 50s-65.
I have an excellent winter jacket that is good from 20s to nearly 50, if unzipped.
I also have a Rapha Gilet which is nice for high 50s-65 with arm warmers.
I dont really like arm warmers and prefer to just put on a jacket, even if I unzip it. I have baselayers, but again, want to eliminate extra layers /pieces so I can get out the door and not end up with full pockets.

Any recommendations? I dont need full on rain proofing. Water resistant is fine. Breathability in that temperature range (50-60/65F) would be great.
At least 1 pocket, race cut and a 2 way zip in a perfect world.

Looking at maybe the Rapha Classic Wind Jacket II. Also perhaps a Gore Torrent (rain jacket). Assos Mille GT wind jacket.

Anything else?

Last edited by skouri1; 05-22-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:11 AM

I have and like Castelli ROS light jacket
Old 05-22-2024, 10:13 AM

https://www.ornotbike.com/products/m...acket-obsidian

Done. I have three of them.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:15 AM

Honestly, the best shells will be rain shells as that seems to be where the innovation has been and then it can pull double duty in your wardrobe. I prefer to have one because it also makes packing and travel easier, and the new ones are so good that you're not choosing between waterproof and breathable like you used to have to.

If you can find a Gore Shakedry that's rated as the most breathable, or the Q36.5 Rain Jacket X is probably even better ATMO because it has pocket slots and is nearly as packable with a better fit.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:19 AM
#RYFB

I don't think the Rapha wind jacket meets your requirements at the low end of temperatures; I have an older version and it doesn't provide any insulation. Also, possibly fixed in the newer version, once you sweat a little it loses its wind insulation on the arms. Take a look at the Brevet insulated jacket, good for the lower temperatures and won't overheat you when it warms up. The light grey color is currently 50% off and available in all sizes.

Edit: Rapha sizing is always weird in jackets; if you buy online I strongly recommend buying the two sizes that you think will work, then return the one that fits less well. Unless of course you live somewhere near a clubhouse and can figure out sizing in person.

Last edited by cgolvin; 05-22-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
seconded.

If it's really chilly with a light vest over.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 AM

Thirded for the Ornot. Have the vest and its fantastic.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:38 AM

The Rapha Pro Team jacket would fit the bill here.

I havent found anything that breathes better when riding hard in temps in the 40-55 degree range.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The Rapha Pro Team jacket would fit the bill here.

I havent found anything that breathes better when riding hard in temps in the 40-55 degree range.
Was going to suggest this one, too. Mine are older, so don't know if current version is as nice.

Then there's the classic: Assos Airjack 851. Probably only found on eBay at this point, though. And too much jacket above 50 degrees F. Then you're into Intermediate Evo jersey territory.

If you already have the Rapha vest, you could just get a long sleeved Rapha jersey and wear it with the vest, too. LS Brevet jersey or the one with wind panel front, maybe.

Last edited by tv_vt; 05-22-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:57 AM

I have a slightly different take on this. I run super hot, so in colder weather, in the temperatures you're describing, I don't want any insulation. I just need a wind jacket to block the wind in front, that's a really breathable mesh in the back so I don't overheat.

I've been using this Pactimo wind jacket lately and it's been great.

If you run hot like me, you'll want to give it a shot!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:10 AM

In those conditions I often wear a wool or polar fleece jersey over a light base layer.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:11 PM

q36.5 Hybrid Q
Good from 40 to 60 ..
I'm in So Cal and this is the best 3 season jacket (it's really long sleeve jersey with wind control) around for our temp fluctuations.

8 am it's in the 40's .. by 10:30 it's 60+ ... Versitile!!
Old 05-22-2024, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I revised my original request 50-65F degrees. my old jacket did not breath great. i dont mind being warm as long as I can unzip a bit. However, I get cold pretty easily as I dont have a lot of insulation, so even vest alone under 60 I don't feel great.
The OrNot Microclimate seems nice.
I want a jacket, not a jersey to be clear. Don't want to rebuy entire wardrobe for fall.

I am considering rain jackets too, though I have trouble believing they are truly breathable now. Perhaps the people who keep talking about boiling in a bag on some of the reviews just run hot or expect the garment to do too much.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:35 PM

Another vote for the Ornot microclimate. For me, it works great in that temp range, give or take a base layer at the lower end. Packs up small when you need to take it off
Old 05-22-2024, 12:56 PM

Castelli

I’m a huge fan of the Castelli Perfetto jackets. I run the jacket/jersey solo in the 60s, dropping into the 50s I’ll throw in a light baselayer and low 50s, high 40s, a thicker baselayer.

Water and windproof, and just a great versatile piece.

I own 3 LS and 3 SS versions… short sleeve is great for 60s and rain up to mid 70s and rain… absolutely love this kit.

Warning to all to size up. I’m and XL in Castelli and large in almost all other brands…