Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 AM

I got attacked by a goose..

My commute to work consists of taking the bus the first 20 miles or so, then riding my bike the last 2.5 miles.
Yesterday, about halfway to work I'm riding on the sidewalk (low to no foot traffic, and the roads to crazy to ride on in this area), minding my own business, and I see 2 geese up ahead about 15' off to my left side.
I've never had an issue with "City geese" at this distance, so I did my usual thing. Slow down a little, make sure they see me so I don't startle them, keep an eye on them, but don't make eye contact, and don't make and sudden aggressive moves. Works every time, and they usually don't pay me any attention..

This big guy wasn't very impressed with my technique, and started running at me full rip. At this point I had nowhere to go except straight, so I speed up a little to keep him at my side rather than getting in front of me, figuring I'd pass, and that would be the end of it.. He must have figured out my plan, because he took off flying directly at my left side, and it became obvious that he wasn't stopping, so I put my left elbow out a little to cushion the blow for both of us, and to keep me from being knocked over. That worked pretty well, but it still felt like somebody threw a bag of sand at me.
He disappeared behind me, and without even looking back, I dropped down to the smallest cog, stood up, and started cranking, once again thinking that would be the end of it..
Nope, and 30 seconds later I hear his wings flapping on my right. Turned my head just as he went flying by about 2' from my face. He landed about 25' ahead of me, off to the right this time. Then he turned around, started running at me again, then started flying at me again. This time I stayed upright, and right before the moment of impact, i put my chest on the bars, and he flew right over me. Again started cranking like a mad man. When I finally looked back, he seemed satisfied with his efforts, and was heading back to his lady friend.
I'm an animal lover, so I'm glad neither of us were hurt, and next time I'll definitely give them more space.

Nobody was hurt (except for the goose getting upset, which bothered me), and the motorists got a good show, so it makes for a funny story now that it's over.

Enjoy!

Last edited by jasnooks; 04-15-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 AM

TPIWWOP!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM

A goose can take care of your house really well, even better than a dog.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 AM

Makes it even funnier, because I stayed in the sidewalk because the street was to dangerous..
Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
A goose can take care of your house really well, even better than a dog.
Very true!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:51 AM

There are a lot of Canadian Geese here at the moment (PNW), and I pass some on a MUP I use almost daily. They generally dont pay any attention to me and I look straight ahead and pass them, usually giving them a healthy amount of space as I pass. I've wondered though if they'd actually ever attack me for some reason. Now after this thread I realize it's possible, lol.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
There are a lot of Canadian Geese here at the moment (PNW), and I pass some on a MUP I use almost daily. They generally dont pay any attention to me and I look straight ahead and pass them, usually giving them a healthy amount of space as I pass. I've wondered though if they'd actually ever attack me for some reason. Now after this thread I realize it's possible, lol.
I think it's mating season right now. It seems like I see them in pairs rather than groups this time of year. Either this one was protecting it's mate, or my front seizure inducing blinky pissed him off, lol
Old 04-14-2017, 08:00 AM
You still here?

Canadian Geese being migratory birds aren't very territorial. Domestic geese on the other hand, they can be fierce as the OP described. We had several 'watch' geese on our farm that would honor to the best watchdogs you could I shine.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:17 AM

It's nesting season time. And yes they can get pretty aggressive during this period. I've been known to high-tail it from them when necessary.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnooks View Post
I think it's mating season right now. It seems like I see them in pairs rather than groups this time of year. Either this one was protecting it's mate, or my front seizure inducing blinky pissed him off, lol
Lolz. Yeah come to think of it I usually see them in pairs right now. I'll keep it in mind for sure.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 AM
The B!

jeez.. I keep pepper spray on my bar for dogs, now I gotta get it ready when I pass geese
Old 04-14-2017, 08:58 AM

man, thats funny. had to be on a nest or some such. how odd.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Canada Goose.....

Nature's equivalent to s big, flying rat

Just sayin'

😎

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM

That would have scared the crap out of me. Hitchcock flashback. Good for you for keeping your cool. I probably would have taken a swing at him and he would have bit a chunk of my arm off.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 AM

So, this morning, same spot, same goose. He recognized me from 50 yards away. Stood up and puffed up his chest..
I took my chances with the traffic on the road this time, lol