Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 09:36 AM

Garmin Vector 1st Gen pedals - anyone still using...successfully?

I'm still outfitting my son's bike for racing/training. He's (racing age) 12, so I'm trying to keep things relatively low-tech/low cost (travel related to racing is a more significant cost center than any of his equipment). That said, I noticed that a local bike non-profit/recycling shop (donated bikes/parts, they re-sell and rebuild really cool urban bikes & for every bike sold, one is donated to someone in need...y'know, all the good bike karma you can hope for) has what may be a set of 1st generation Vector pedals relatively cheap. I wasn't necessarily in the market for a PM for my son, but if it's cheap enough, i could see these being helpful & the fact that they easily transfer to other bikes & crank lengths (ie, for a growing kid) is nice.

I still have & use a set of 1st Generation vectors (technically, updated to Gen 2 via various Garmin tech support interactions....worn out flange on the masts & then some battery consumption issues). I'm curious if I'd be signing up for a new world of hurt putting these apparent time capsules into use or if I could expect to be able to collect some helpful data. Should I expect to replace the masts/antenna (whatever they're called) with the Gen 2 type (ie, replace the silver, metal ones with the black, plastic ones) & maybe be fine?
Old 02-29-2024, 09:54 AM

I have gen1 updated to gen2 ... yes update them. The silver ones were horrible and easy to bend.