Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Was interested - then saw the geometry..

Why do bike brands think sub-400mm reach is acceptable for an XL?
Well, they may have some kind of idea from selling slightly more bikes than you have about what people want in different sizes?
Old 04-18-2024, 12:39 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The brake hoses run through the headset, regardless of how they make their way from the handlebars.
fair enough.. not a bike for me then..
Old 04-18-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Maybe they read all your posts here praising Pegoretti?

Difference being though that Pegoretti frames have level TTs, so they don't look like aesthetic abominations with a -12 or -17 stem..

Plus Pegoretti stock geometry is based on a premise that you'll run a long(ish) stem and need/like long(ish) setback - which isn't really how most/any newer allroad bikes are being designed.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Isn’t that kind of the point with these all road bikes? That they’re made for people who just can’t fit the typical road race geo without a ton of spacers, stem and bar adjustment / additions?

I believe that it’s been mentioned a few times on the escape collective podcasts that they hoped for fast bikes that look good with more relaxed geo. Seems like some manufactures listened.

For sure there will continue to be pro-level racing bikes in the future, but having a bike that looks, rides and feels like a pro bike without requiring pro weight and flexibility can only be a good thing, right?

And integrated storage and mounts for these are a nice add on, but don’t see it as being a full stop requirement. But between this and the Endurace, Fray, Roadmaxhine, Domane, and Roubaix it’s getting a bit crowded in a good way.
I'm fine with there being options for those who want to sit upright and find that a more comfortable way to ride a bike - but these are being marketed as performance-focused allroad bikes that can be raced in places like BWR SD or similar kinda-road, kinda-gravel, but still want to go fast conditions. All I'm saying is they've jumped the shark in the biggest size and have gone so tall with the stack and short with the reach that handling would be compromised to such an extent as to make the bike unrideable if someone wants to emulate a more performance-oriented position..

OR - they can get a custom carbon frameset from Pursuit, Hampsten/Eyewater, etc.

OR - look for some specific models like the BMC Kaius or Basso Palta, which are ostensibly gravel bikes but have geometry more suited to performance allroad riding than these "allroad" bikes.

I'll stop my baseless ranting now.. lolz.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Difference being though that Pegoretti frames have level TTs, so they don't look like aesthetic abominations with a -12 or -17 stem..

Plus Pegoretti stock geometry is based on a premise that you'll run a long(ish) stem and need/like long(ish) setback - which isn't really how most/any newer allroad bikes are being designed.
So your comment was just aesthetic? They're only selling these frames through dealers with a custom fit, so I assume they could be set up with a long stem as appropriate.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:22 PM

I like how you think. Making a quiver killer into a n+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
This type of bike is part of a quiver. It’s the in between bike for when your road bike and gravel bike aren’t quite right.

I’ve been on a quest to find what I call the 50/50. For rides that are half dirt and half pavement.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with there being options for those who want to sit upright and find that a more comfortable way to ride a bike - but these are being marketed as performance-focused allroad bikes that can be raced in places like BWR SD or similar kinda-road, kinda-gravel, but still want to go fast conditions. All I'm saying is they've jumped the shark in the biggest size and have gone so tall with the stack and short with the reach that handling would be compromised to such an extent as to make the bike unrideable if someone wants to emulate a more performance-oriented position..
You have to stop thinking about the bike without the rider or that a bike has to fit *you* to be performance focused.

Two riders of different proportions can have the same torso angle when you set them up in their ideal saddle position with very different frame geometry and reach/stack.

One of them will have the bars closer to them and higher. You look at the two bikes and you think one of the riders must be in a more relaxed position.

But once you put the two different riders on the bikes you see they just require a different bike to get a similar fit.

The market right now markets race bikes that fit you and endurance/all road that fit the other end of the proportion spectrum. It's just another level of them not making enough sizes.

Last edited by benb; 04-18-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:17 PM

Frame design looks very much like the Giant Revolt.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:28 PM

Parlee makes a nice bike. I have had a few Chebaccos and others over the years. I don't hate the look of integrated cockpits, but much prefer access to the cables if need be and while building up bikes.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2024, 07:13 PM

It feels like I'm in the minority of new bike buyers but I'd prefer to keep the cables outside the stem and headset also. Is there any technical reason a manufacturer couldn't give you the option of buying a frameset with one more hole in the fork and down tube?

I've been looking for a modern bike with easy cable routing and slightly relaxed geometry that can take 32s with fenders but haven't had much luck.

Last edited by LGrider; 04-18-2024 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:33 PM

^

it's an easier layup not to have holes for one. The bike is not for me as the stack is not to my liking, but otherwise it looks very nice. Handmade in the EU, wax nude finish like my Zero.. pretty nice.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGrider View Post
It feels like I'm in the minority of new bike buyers but I'd prefer to keep the cables outside the stem and headset also. Is there any technical reason a manufacturer couldn't give you the option of buying a frameset with one more hole in the fork and down tube?
Comes down to if they deem it worth the investment of doubling their SKUs. I highly doubt it's worth it to any manufacturer since integrated/hidden cabling is perceived as more "premium" and every size of frame will require at least another very expensive metal carbon mold and additional layup design. Just doesn't make economic sense for any frame manufacturer.

For custom carbon, like the Parlee supposedly is, it might be possible for an upcharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGrider View Post
I've been looking for a modern bike with easy cable routing and slightly relaxed geometry that can take 32s with fenders but haven't had much luck.
Caledonia and Synapse seems pretty close to matching those criteria. Or the previous gen Endurace and Domane work as well. The Roubaix is close, and there are some people who just replace the futureshock with a solid piece to get rid of that extra complexity.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:53 PM

Quote:

I wonder who has sold more frames, peg or parlee? not that this makes their geometry right or wrong, curious to know though.

As far as the parlee goes, well, I don't think unfashionably too short front center will make or break sales on something like this.

I don't know they break down on sales of 10k builds but I assume a large fraction are older folks buying something nice and not high performance geometry trend following hyper analytical science of performance "I order my stems in 1 millimeter increments like team sky" types
Old 04-19-2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I wonder who has sold more frames, peg or parlee? not that this makes their geometry right or wrong, curious to know though.

As far as the parlee goes, well, I don't think unfashionably too short front center will make or break sales on something like this.

I don't know they break down on sales of 10k builds but I assume a large fraction are older folks buying something nice and not high performance geometry trend following hyper analytical science of performance "I order my stems in 1 millimeter increments like team sky" types
You have solid points as usual -- and as usual, I'm off tilting at twirly-wheels..
Old 04-19-2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
^

it's an easier layup not to have holes for one. The bike is not for me as the stack is not to my liking, but otherwise it looks very nice. Handmade in the EU, wax nude finish like my Zero.. pretty nice.
I should have said some of that too - it's not for me, but it's a beautiful bike and I love Parlee's whole thing, so I wish them success with it..