Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 AM

Campagnolo Wishlist for Eurobike 2015

So Eurobike 2015 is about to get going and I am really crossing my fingers that our friends in Vicenza, Italy are about to make some significant announcements.

High on my wish list:

Gear Range. I'd like a cassette that ranges from 11 to 34.

Disk Brakes. Wake up folks. Everyone has this, it's time. I have been using a combination of TRP Spyre and Campy Record levers. It's ok, but not awesome. Full integration and true hydraulic disks will be welcomed.

1x11. With bigger cassette range and hydraulic disk brakes, it will be natural to release a CX-specific group set.

What's your Campagnolo wish-list?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
Disk Brakes. Wake up folks.
AFAIK there was/is/will be a behind-closed-doors presentation of Campa's disk brake system for OEMs.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:01 AM

One has to ask one self why would Campy do something like this? A behind close doors demo for OEM is likely to go hand in hand with an NDA. I will speculate that the reason to do this is to show something that is not ready and possibly to collect feedback that could go into a revision before release.

That is likely to translate into nothing for consumers in 2015, possibly not before Q2 2016. Pity.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 AM

tubular neutrons!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
So Eurobike 2015 is about to get going and I am really crossing my fingers that our friends in Vicenza, Italy are about to make some significant announcements.

High on my wish list:

Gear Range. I'd like a cassette that ranges from 11 to 34.

Disk Brakes. Wake up folks. Everyone has this, it's time. I have been using a combination of TRP Spyre and Campy Record levers. It's ok, but not awesome. Full integration and true hydraulic disks will be welcomed.

1x11. With bigger cassette range and hydraulic disk brakes, it will be natural to release a CX-specific group set.

What's your Campagnolo wish-list?
Campagnolo follows trends, market speak, etc, less than the other big S, and certainly less than, 'lets get it out now-we'll fix it later', other "S" group maker.

Doubt they will do the big cogset gig, BUT you can do that now with shimano 11s and a Campagnolo mid or long cage rear der.

Yes, they will do disc brakes, for good or ill. Probably with Formula, another Italian company. BUT remember, Campagnolo is aimed at the racer, high-ish end enthusiast..not the dirt guys.

1by makes no sense. With the superior front shifting of shimano and Campagnolo, why sacrifice gearing and make a huge gap rear cogset(that may not be good for anybody), instead of a front der? I have never understood what about 'gravel' or cross riding means your front der won't work?

Cross racers don't need a 10-40, 1by setup. Most in Europe don't even 'need' or want wet disc brakes...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
One has to ask one self why would Campy do something like this? A behind close doors demo for OEM is likely to go hand in hand with an NDA. I will speculate that the reason to do this is to show something that is not ready and possibly to collect feedback that could go into a revision before release.

That is likely to translate into nothing for consumers in 2015, possibly not before Q2 2016. Pity.
Except well made, very functional, reliable, well shifting mechanical and electronic groupsets and a wheel lineup that is more versatile and second to none..pity. shimano really won't have anything 'new and amazing'..sram will, and we'll see if it stands the test by consumers..

BTW-2015 bike shows is all about 2016, in spite of the silly product intro calendar that starts in late summer. Bike shops everywhere are discounting 2015 product(and also losing $ doing so) for the 2016 stuff, being introduced now-silly.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Campagnolo follows trends, market speak, etc, less than the other big S, and certainly less than, 'lets get it out now-we'll fix it later', other "S" group maker.

Doubt they will do the big cogset gig, BUT you can do that now with shimano 11s and a Campagnolo mid or long cage rear der.

Yes, they will do disc brakes, for good or ill. Probably with Formula, another Italian company. BUT remember, Campagnolo is aimed at the racer, high-ish end enthusiast..not the dirt guys.
I ride dirt, I tour, I ride road and I want the same system of shifting on all of them.

I spoke to a compagnolo representative in March at the Berlin bike show. He said that the most requests they get are for a bigger gear range cassette. Campagnolo does not make any long cage derailleurs for their 11 gears setup so if they do bring something out, they may bring a new derailleur as well.

I pointedly asked the same fellow if they are working on Disk Brakes with Formula. His answer was "God NO". So we have to see.

I also disagree with your last statement - any company is aiming to increase market footprint, customer base and revenues. The way to do this is to appeal to more riders. Lets see what happens!
Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I ride dirt, I tour, I ride road and I want the same system of shifting on all of them.

I spoke to a compagnolo representative in March at the Berlin bike show. He said that the most requests they get are for a bigger gear range cassette. Campagnolo does not make any long cage derailleurs for their 11 gears setup so if they do bring something out, they may bring a new derailleur as well.

I pointedly asked the same fellow if they are working on Disk Brakes with Formula. His answer was "God NO". So we have to see.

I also disagree with your last statement - any company is aiming to increase market footprint, customer base and revenues. The way to do this is to appeal to more riders. Lets see what happens!
Except this one.

Campagnolo has been kinda iconic for a while. They are not the 'everything to everybody' type company. They just deleted one of their low end groups while improving the top 3. They care zero for 'gravel grinding', a little in cross, not much. Their forte is SR/Record/Chorus..They don't care about 'gravel grinding' the same way Porsche isn't interested in making a truck or Rolex making a electronic watch. Small company with a much different philosophy. If that doesn't suit some riders, like Rapha, they say 'oh well'. It's not always about the $/Euro/Lira/etc.

They appeal to more riders by making better stuff, the stuff they make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_35.JPG (11.0 KB, 408 views)
Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 AM

I stand corrected regarding the real derailleur. It's funny since they write that this component is optimized for the use with triple cranks and 29 teeth cassette :-)

Lets see what comes out. With folks like Rotor coming out with a full groupset the market might become even more competitive at the high-end...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I stand corrected regarding the real derailleur. It's funny since they write that this component is optimized for the use with triple cranks and 29 teeth cassette :-)

Lets see what comes out. With folks like Rotor coming out with a full groupset the market might become even more competitive at the high-end...
Hydrastic shifting..internal hydraulic lines.....yikes, like taking a digital aircraft, and making it back into analog with torque tubes, cables and chains..

FSA with 'wireless lite' group..we'll see but Campagnolo, IMHO, has pretty good grasp of who they are and where they want to go.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:

I doubt Campy really cares at all. Those of us that ride it, will always ride it. As an example, indexed shifting. It took Campy a long time to bring those to market, not to even bring up brifter shifting.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:56 AM

There is a German saying that really fits well here. This is entirely from my perspective as a campy rider:

Hope dies last.

Let me hope and dream.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 AM

I would like to see, and purchase a Campag. 47/57 reach brakeset. Would also like the silver hubs back in production.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Campy has always done their own thing, for good or ill.

The last thing they need to do is chase someone like SRAM.

I'd be happy with Record hubs in a variety of drillings.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM
not banished

They've been talking about the death of Campy since the 90s MTB boom.

They said the same for Apple.

SRAM's worry isn't campy, it's Shimano. Shimano learned to live in a world with Campy, clearly they hate SRAM. Not sure why anyone would select SRAM over Shimano.

And as Elder Spud said, forget not Campy's wheels. Those things rock.

My only wish - bring back record hubs in silver and various spoke holes.

Tags
campagnolo, eurobike 2015