Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
- Osprey Farpoint for carry-on/overhead air travel (usually in combo with a daypack)
So...for my upcoming trip I ordered the Farpoint and a Daypack +.

I'll do some prep to see if it works better than my old two wheelie. (I hate spinners.)

IIRC, SEA has a good amount of walking to the transit system once you're outside the terminal...but it's been a while...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
So...for my upcoming trip I ordered the Farpoint and a Daypack +.

I'll do some prep to see if it works better than my old two wheelie. (I hate spinners.)
IMO, as long as you're ok with a backpack, it does work better. I don't love a backpack over a blazer/jacket, but I don't usually wear one on the plane (or if I do, it's tweed or cord and more resistant to creasing than a suit jacket).
Old 04-18-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
IMO, as long as you're ok with a backpack, it does work better. I don't love a backpack over a blazer/jacket, but I don't usually wear one on the plane (or if I do, it's tweed or cord and more resistant to creasing than a suit jacket).
I always travel in play clothes.

If I'm on sales calls, I will literally strip in the parking lot immediately after the last call, or one nearby , to get back into play clothes.

Nobody has ever commented...yet...

For my upcoming trip, I'm traveling the day before and taking a redeye home at the end of the conference. I will not worry about creasing my blazer

...treated myself to the Mint experience for the redeye.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-18-2024, 12:04 PM

I do a lot of 1-2 night trips and travel light, but generally need to be a bit more formal than a typical backpack. I highly recommend Waterfield, I usually use the pro executive backpack:
https://www.sfbags.com/collections/laptop-backpacks
Old 04-18-2024, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
My mistake. Mine is a GR2 as well. I’ve had it for about 10 years or so. Been through lots of trips, hikes, thrown around. The thing is heavy but tough. One of the shoulder straps got torn a little. Goruck repaired it quick. Good as new now.
For those that like a GoRuck style pack, I found this pack to the best of that breed IMHO. Very tough, very light.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/ultra-dragonfly/

Each weekly drop sells out very quickly.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:01 PM

I use a TOM BIHN Tri-Star with the Co-Pilot.
The Tri-Star size works for international flights and is typically used more as a duffle, though it has backpack functionality that hides in a pocket. The Co-Pilot fits perfect in the half split section of the large front pocket of the Tri-Star.

The co-pilot carries essentials such as toiletries, camera and iPad, headphones, note taking stuff, and I typically pull the Co-pilot out of the Tri-Star upon boarding the plane. The Co-Pilot also serves as a personal handbag while visiting the destination, which allows me to keep the bigger Tri-Star with clothes at the hotel. I like that the two bags can nest and pair down into a single bag and also convert to a backpack if needed.

Last edited by Erikg; 04-20-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:24 AM

I'm a very big fan of all Mission Workshop bags and have used them for multi day trips. I have 2 bags from them, the vandal that is use for travel I have had for over 10 years and it's still going very strong. Theirs plenty of pockets for organization and it's very comfy to wear. Their arkiv system is very cool too and seems great for traveling. I generally will put a small tote with the things I want to use on the plane in it and take it out before sitting down and stashing the backpack in an overhead bin.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:40 AM

I bought an ILE backpack several years ago and like it, although I mostly use it for vacation travel as I am an elementary school teacher.

Looks like they have a lot of different options of backpacks and travel bags now.

https://ilequipment.com/
Old 04-21-2024, 12:37 PM

1 or 2 night trips I bring my topo designs global travel bag 40L backpack. Laptop sleeve, plenty of storage pockets. Longer trips I'll bring a small spinner carry on hard case with the 40L bag or a canvas topo designs briefcase. All that luggage that mentions "luxury" in the title is a hard pass. It's business travel, not that complicated.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:46 PM
Too Few Miles

Crud. Too late to the conversation.

I'm a huge fan of the GoRuck GR2 40L.

I have darn near one million airmiles on mine. It still looks brand new after being subjected to everything from Chicken Busses in rural China to literally being tied to a Llama in Peru.

Absolutely the best single piece of travel equipment I've ever purchased. Ever.

For business it safely holds all the needed electronics. I emphasize safely! Never anything broken.

For business it has plenty of room for materials. I moderate focus groups, so need a ton of stimulus.

For business it easily and wrinkle free handles multiple suits, shirts and ties. Just get a garment cover and fold those suits, shirts and pants in thirds.

For business it is dressy enough (in black) for Board of Directors meetings.

It's my Swiss army knife of travel.

And for leisure travel it's the only bag I travel the world with. 3 or 4 weeks is a breeze. Even with a full size camera and lenses.

For cycling, just strap the helmet to the front and unstrap when you toss it all in any overhead bin (and I say "any" 'cause it's never not fit).

Cheap? Nope.

Worth every darn penny?

You bet!

Joel