Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmoose View Post
This. But also add Litespeed’s titanium head tube extender. Makes for a much nicer finished look than a big stack of spacers.

https://litespeed.com/collections/ac...tube-extenders

I had them install one of these on my Cherohala and my neck is grateful. 🙂

Best of luck in your search.
That looks like a nice solution.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
^This
thanks.
OK, but frame size numbers have become meaningless theses days. Even in the old days you'd have to ask center to center or center to top.

Most brands have switched to even more meaningless S, M L XL or numbers that are only the seat tube length, like my 46cm Cinelli or 47cm Yoeleo frames that are close to an old 52cm.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:27 PM

Best off the shelf I know of is carbon: The latest Argon 18 Krypton/Pro takes a 700x40 and has endurance-length wheelbase/chainstay.

Small is a possible 370mm reach, 587mm stack [with the +25 front].

Previous years' model had a +30mm option, which would bring up the stack a smidge. Different frame design though.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:43 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

365 reach and 580 stack are the best guess target at this point.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:54 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Best off the shelf I know of is carbon: The latest Argon 18 Krypton/Pro takes a 700x40 and has endurance-length wheelbase/chainstay.

Small is a possible 370mm reach, 587mm stack [with the +25 front].

Previous years' model had a +30mm option, which would bring up the stack a smidge. Different frame design though.
That's a possible. Will take a look. Thanks.

Have had 30 rise short stem on bike and change in bars to try on current bike. Handling not great but helping narrow down what might.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:08 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
365 reach and 580 stack are the best guess target at this point.
The Specialized Diverge in size 52 has 577mm stack and 374mm reach. Shorten the stem by 10mm and you get right to your numbers.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:22 PM

Warning: I know sometimes I am a broken record on this topic.

The OP said more road than off-road. Two suggestions with stack/reach numbers in the right range, the Spesh Diverge and the Argon18 Krypton Pro, would have pretty different handling in the sizes noted. The Diverge has a 70.5 head tube angle, pretty slack. The Argon18 with simlar stack/reach has a 72.3 HTA, much more road-like in handling.

With smaller frames it's always worth looking a the geo besides looking at stack/reach. I've had one slack HTA all-road bike and just didn't like the sluggish handling on the road. Your preferences may vary.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:32 PM
Back At It!

so I seem to be in a similar boat with you on this..

One option I found to work pretty well on my used Serotta is a 6* stem turned up and Spec. Hover bars to get the hoods where I light them.. these bars also have the added plus of a short drop that lets me use the drops more.. there are a few other bars like this as well, Ritchey makes some..

from a new bike perspective, the Argon mentioned has piqued my interest as well as the SL8 Roubaix.. with the Roubaix, I think the published stack is without the added height for the FutureShock.. also, the new Roubaix has clearance for 40mm tires.. But, I think the Argon can be had a bit cheaper if you are paying full MSRP.. if the Argon interests you, check out YouTuber Chris Hall.. he is an an ultra-endurance cyclist over in the UK that speaks very highly of his Argons and, from what I can tell, will actually answer you back if you reach out to him..

as others have said, I would not give two seconds to how spacers or an upturned stem looks.. if the bike works for you, it works.. (I can give a little deference to how it could affect handling I guess)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:07 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Warning: I know sometimes I am a broken record on this topic.

The OP said more road than off-road. Two suggestions with stack/reach numbers in the right range, the Spesh Diverge and the Argon18 Krypton Pro, would have pretty different handling in the sizes noted. The Diverge has a 70.5 head tube angle, pretty slack. The Argon18 with simlar stack/reach has a 72.3 HTA, much more road-like in handling.

With smaller frames it's always worth looking a the geo besides looking at stack/reach. I've had one slack HTA all-road bike and just didn't like the sluggish handling on the road. Your preferences may vary.
The OP also referenced a Crux and riding 42mm tires.
To me, that means the focus is on gravel bikes that can handle 2x and are 60mm or so of trail. The diverge has a slack hta, but also used a 55mm offset fork. Trail is 67mm with her states tire size.
And with gravel bikes often having slightly more upright geometry compared to paved road bikes, it seems like a pretty good category to search.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:22 PM
Back At It!

^ the issue I find when looking at stack and reach on a gravel bike is the reach is often much longer due to them using a much shorter stem.. I try and figure out what it would be with a 90 or 100mm stem, but can still be a bit confusing.. to me, at least..
Old 05-01-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Snip
The OP also referenced a Crux and riding 42mm tires.
To me, that means the focus is on gravel bikes that can handle 2x and are 60mm or so of trail. The diverge has a slack hta, but also used a 55mm offset fork. Trail is 67mm with her states tire size.
And with gravel bikes often having slightly more upright geometry compared to paved road bikes, it seems like a pretty good category to search.
67mm of trail is kinda long in my book, based only on my preferences for a road-ish bike. It may be worth noting that geo with the same trail can also have different wheel flop. The Diverge mentioned has more flop (22mm) than a geo with a steeper HTA and lower fork rake. I don't like the feeling of having much flop but that's a preference, yours may vary.

The point is that in stock bikes, small ones have more trail and flop usually. And going to the gravel category to get more stack may come with other characteristics that the person may or may not want.

Last edited by NHAero; 05-01-2024 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Shoulder surgery and deteriorating cartilage has me looking for a compliant riding bike with tall stack height in the 52-53 frame size, prefer ti and
2x compatible, more road than off road focus for handling (Crux is a good example). Ability to run 27.5 a bonus but 700 x 40-42 primary.

No saddle to bar drop or even a bit above saddle at this point. Modifications made so far haven't been ideal.
- Moots Routt 45
- Seven Cycles Evergreen Rider Ready Endurance geo
- Custom
Maybe give a call to Allied. The Echo looks like it be good choice. I think Allied offers “+” size (i.e., 52+) with longer head tubes that extend beyond the top tube (it did when I purchased my Alfa). https://alliedcycleworks.com/collections/echo.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:38 PM

One thing the OP didn’t mention is whether or not standover height is a concern. That Moots Routt has a 31” standover in a size 52, which may not be great for someone with shorter legs. The Crux is around 30”, but the Diverge and the Litespeed Flint (with head tube extenders) are both close to the desired reach/stack numbers while having more margin in standover height in the 28” range and can accommodate the tire sizes requested.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:51 PM

Check out Seeker ADV, Chris McGovern is doing steel and ti bikes with plenty of stack.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
67mm of trail is kinda long in my book, based only on my preferences for a road-ish bike. It may be worth noting that geo with the same trail can also have different wheel flop. The Diverge mentioned has more flop (22mm) than a geo with a steeper HTA and lower fork rake. I don't like the feeling of having much flop but that's a preference, yours may vary.

The point is that in stock bikes, small ones have more trail and flop usually. And going to the gravel category to get more stack may come with other characteristics that the person may or may not want.
I agree that 67mm is a lot of trai for a road bike or even an all road bike.
But I ride frames that are quite big and the trail number on my size frames are typically lower than smaller frames due to smaller frames needing to have a slacker hta for toe clearance.
I like 58-60mm for my gravel bike and actually my main road bike with 32mm tires falls into this range too.