Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Trials and tribulations of fitting myself

This past year I've cycled through a stack of sweet bikes without it seems ever getting to even one that truly fits and feels like it belongs.* It seems I've been doing this whole bike-buying and fitting thing wrong, and should have realized it, oh, I dunno, 6+ months ago.

But I didn't.

Now I'm sitting with a really great looking Pegoretti in my garage that has some excellent ride characteristics, has parts I like, etc., but I'm still confused if it actually fits me - or if I'm contorting myself to accept the tall front-end and other vagaries of trying to make it work because its what's in the garage and its a Pegoretti and its rare and super-sweet.

I guess I need to stop trying to do this myself and just go get another fit done - either on the Peg or on a fit-cycle contraption- and see what that tells me before going after something else.

Maybe they'll tell me the Peg is just fine or needs a trim of the head tube to get it right for me. Or maybe I'll just need to find something that's equivalent to the Kestrel...

* The one bike I've really felt comfortable on from day-one it hit my garage is the Kestrel Legend SL I took in, rode two centuries and a couple other rides on, and then sold because it wasn't as "cool" as some of the other ones floating around - will, that and I didn't really like the SRAM or the tire clearance...

It's coordinates were:
  • 58.6 TT
  • 72.75 STA
  • 73.25 HTA
  • 17.9 HT
  • 41 CS
  • 100.7 WB
  • 71 BB-Drop
  • 43 Rake
  • 405 Reach
  • 583 Stack

Last edited by Clean39T; 10-11-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:10 PM

You're done.

You have the numbers you need, and it sounds like you're wandering aimlessly in search of a stock bike that meets your desires.

Just take the Kestrel numbers to a builder and give them your money.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
You're done.

You have the numbers you need, and it sounds like you're wandering aimlessly in search of a stock bike that meets your desires.

Just take the Kestrel numbers to a builder and give them your money.
Maybe. There's also the question of whether to trust my memory. The fact that it felt fine jumping on and riding big miles is a good sign though. If doing a custom, I'd opt for a horizontal TT and taller HT to have less spacers. But is there an off-the-peg frame that has those coordinates?

Example: Merlin Empire has almost identical stack/reach numbers to the Kestrel (582/406 vs. 583/405).

Compared to:

Last edited by Clean39T; 10-01-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM
cmg

strip the Pegoretti, keep what you want, sell the rest. you have the stack and reach numbers to guide you. get an aluminum bike to test the numbers. luck.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:51 PM

PM sent. No one loves a Peg more than I do. If it isn't right, it isn't right.
The challenge is finding a fit person who can get it dialed for you.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM

So confused by fitting myself

After plugging numbers in for the Peg and the Kestrel, I'm even more confused. It appears the reach is almost identical with the stems I was running on each (120x-6 on the Kestrel, 130x-17 on the Peg), and it's just the stack that is different by the expected 2cm.

How do the calculators deal with setback vs. zero-setback posts though? That's confusing to me too...

Why does it feel so different if they aren't that far off on paper?

http://www.bikegeo.net/#

Last edited by Clean39T; 10-01-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM

Keep the Pegoretti and sell everything else

Don't buy another road bike for at least 6 months, better a year

Don't look at eBay, etc

Ride your bike

Spend the money you get from selling your other bikes on a trip somewhere

(Some unsolicited advice that you should feel feee to disregard. It's advice I should probably follow myself!)

Best of luck!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Bit of a /rant/ coming...

I've been buying bikes because they look cool to me, are a good deal, seem within the ballpark fit-wise, and have some expected characteristics I should like. It's been fun for the tinkering aspect, but not so much for the riding part of the equation. Really, all it's done is land me cycling through a stack of sweet bikes without getting to even one that truly fits and feels like it belongs.*

I've been doing it wrong, and should have realized it, oh, I dunno, 6+ months ago.

But I didn't, so now I'm sitting with a really great looking Pegoretti in my garage that has some excellent ride characteristics, has parts I like, etc., but ultimately doesn't have me feeling like the bike is fit to me - moreso that I'm contorting myself to accept the tall front-end and other vagaries of trying to make it work because its what's in the garage and its a Pegoretti and its rare and super-sweet.

It seems like the right answer is obvious: if you don't feel comfortable - go get a fit!

So, I guess I'm off to find a fitter with an adjustable size-cycle type contraption to hopefully get my some stack/reach coordinates that can guide me to a list of frames that should work for me - or specs to give a custom builder.

THEN I can get back to hunting for fun stuff. Or not. Maybe when I find a bike that fits, I'll be more interested in riding it than playing with it and searching for new stuff.

Or maybe they'll tell me the Peg is just fine or needs a trim of the head tube to get it right for me. Dunno.

/rant_off/

* The one bike I've really felt comfortable on from day-one it hit my garage is the Kestrel Legend SL I took in, rode two centuries and a couple other rides on, and then sold because it wasn't as "cool" as some of the other ones floating around. Theoretically, I should be able to figure out its coordinates and use that to guide another acquisition...but even still, seems like I should probably just bring those with me to a fitter and take it from there.

It's coordinates were:
  • 58.6 TT
  • 72.75 STA
  • 73.25 HTA
  • 17.9 HT
  • 41 CS
  • 100.7 WB
  • 71 BB-Drop
  • 43 Rake
  • 405 Reach
  • 583 Stack
Your name already says it all. Clean39T. You're the guy who wants to ride the big chainring, who isn't satisfied with anything less, who wants a corn-cob cassette and slammed stem. But this isn't about your bike. This is your marriage, and your whole life is seriously at risk here. You always want that next woman, that next fantastic night with someone different, that place you've never gone before with a partner. Don't pretend. You know you're staring at a wall and saying it's really about yourself and you just don't have anything more in you. It's kissing the wall or turning around and embracing that loyal, kind, understanding partner leaning against the garage door all these years. You seriously need therapy. Reach and Stack both fail with age -- everything starts to sag. But the bike remains. Get some help before it's too late.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Your name already says it all. Clean39T. You're the guy who wants to ride the big chainring, who isn't satisfied with anything less, who wants a corn-cob cassette and slammed stem. But this isn't about your bike. This is your marriage, and your whole life is seriously at risk here. You always want that next woman, that next fantastic night with someone different, that place you've never gone before with a partner. Don't pretend. You know you're staring at a wall and saying it's really about yourself and you just don't have anything more in you. It's kissing the wall or turning around and embracing that loyal, kind, understanding partner leaning against the garage door all these years. You seriously need therapy. Reach and Stack both fail with age -- everything starts to sag. But the bike remains. Get some help before it's too late.
Brilliant!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post

Lols. I've been this way with bikes (never satisfied, always changing something) since I was like 13 and flipped bikes on eBay and the Nickle Ads to make enough to buy more parts...difference now is having the disposable scratch to get myself in more trouble.

It doesn't translate elsewhere. I've been happily together with my wife for 12 yrs, and haven't ever been dissatisfied or looked to "upgrade".

The Clean39T thing? Jumped in my head when joining the site after just reading The Rider by Krabbe...riffing on a line in there.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Eh, I hate to be unhelpful, but... I'm in the middle of something similar myself. The two bikes I'm comparing have similar reach, but they feel quite different in their fit in terms of fore/aft position and the amount I'm stretched out. There's something else that I'm missing.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Eh, I hate to be unhelpful, but... I'm in the middle of something similar myself. The two bikes I'm comparing have similar reach, but they feel quite different in their fit in terms of fore/aft position and the amount I'm stretched out. There's something else that I'm missing.

I'll have to see what the professionals say...

I had a great 65mi ride yesterday, set a couple PRs on a longish climb, etc. But something still felt a bit wonky in my positioning - maybe setback? Dunno. Despite any of that, the Peg is a effin rocketship going down hills and likes to power over rollers very impressively.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:26 AM

I know that feeling that a Peg delivers with stability on the downhills and the almost springing sensations over rollers. It almost feels like it is snapping back with the added efforts. Top tube length and stem length are only part of it as seat tube angle and head tube angle affect the final distance from sit bones to brake hoods. This also assumes you have the same reach bars and same saddle on both bikes. The other variable is where your hips are in relation to the bottom bracket and where your weight is distributed front to back. You might even need a suggestion for clear position, and optimal seat height and saddle to bar drop. I know I did.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I know that feeling that a Peg delivers with stability on the downhills and the almost springing sensations over rollers. It almost feels like it is snapping back with the added efforts. Top tube length and stem length are only part of it as seat tube angle and head tube angle affect the final distance from sit bones to brake hoods. This also assumes you have the same reach bars and same saddle on both bikes. The other variable is where your hips are in relation to the bottom bracket and where your weight is distributed front to back. You might even need a suggestion for clear position, and optimal seat height and saddle to bar drop. I know I did.
When I get a chance, I'm going to try moving my setback around a little bit and enlisting the wifey's help with some photog'ing to put up on here and see what y'all think. I did do the "no hands" test and I think I'm pretty well balanced at the back end (not falling forward much) and maybe have my setback where it should be. If anything, I'm maybe more rear-ward biased than I should be: when I'm really putting the watts down on the flats with my hands in the drops it almost feels like there isn't enough weight on the front end, like it's getting flighty up there. I also feel like I have to lean forward and probably grip the tops too much when seated climbing. Maybe both of those are functions of too much reach/stack.

Anybody have a fitter recommendation in Portland, OR that is on the independent side? I know there are some good store-affiliated fitters, but I'm a little leery of going in to get fit and being steered to something on their floor - I want to pay for the service without any "goods" attached.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Why don't you just get a Retul fit? I know everyone has their favorite method of making sure that the bike that they have fits them, and with that, a Retul gives you quantifiable numbers that you can work with. Once you're dialed in, you're dialed in.

However, you do have to have some faith in the numbers. If you think that afterwards you're not where you should be, then it's on you. If you go to someone who (supposedly) knows more than you do, puts you in the range that you should be, then everything else is in your head. Most people aren't the unique flowers that they think they are, and chances are, a stock bike will fit you just fine. You just need to be convinced that's where you are supposed to be. You might be close, you might be way off... but once you know, then you won't hope to "get lucky" with some "magical" bike that (for some reason) works for you.

Most folks might scoff at the $250 cost, but I guarantee that's less than you're losing on bikes that don't fit and parts you can't use. And once you know your numbers, you know your numbers.