Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 09-24-2017, 03:43 PM

Fitting Frustration

My first post on this forum after lurking for several months. There's some very useful information available here which has really helped me as I become more familiar with cycling. Thanks to all the knowledgeable folks who contribute to this forum.

Earlier this summer I purchased a Specialized Roubaix Comp (56cm) and have been riding regularly since. I was a runner for many years but have had to all but stop due to lower back issues. Cycling has been a savior for me—it's the first exercise I've truly enjoyed since my days of pounding the pavement. The Roubaix (I was fitted for the bike) feels great. I'd like to purchase a second bike—a hardtail mountain bike—for riding trails (no racing, nothing extreme), gravel roads and also to commute when the weather isn't great and to take a route that includes some significant miles on gravel roads.

I've been to several shops and ridden a number of different models. Here's the thing: I consistently seem to fall right between a medium and large size. I am 5'9.5" tall, with a 32" inseam (measured with the book between my legs method). The kicker for me is the standover height—it's always a bit high (right up against me) on the large frames. The mediums seem to fit me correctly standover-wise, but I feel more comfortable when riding the large frames (though I'm not sure how to qualify this—it's more of a "feel" thing). I'm also a little more comfortable dismounting from a medium-size bike. The folks I've spoken with at bike shops have been mixed with their suggestions—some advising me to go with a large, others steer me to mediums and still others acknowledging that I'm between the two sizes. Ugh.

I've read mixed opinions about the importance of standover height, but it seems that this may be a bigger issue with a mountain bike than a road bike?

If it helps, here are the geometry specs for my road bike.

Specialized Roubaix Comp
Seat Tube Length: 501mm / 19.7244 in
Top Tube Length: 561.8mm / 22.112 in
Head Tube Length: 150mm / 5.9 in
Reach: 381mm / 15 in
Stack 611mm / 24.06 in
Standover Height: 785mm / 30.9055 in

And as an example, here are the specs for a Specialized Chisel in Large:

Seat Tube Length: 470mm / 18.5 in
Top Tube Length: 622mm / 24.48 in
Head Tube Length: 110mm / 4.33 in
Reach: 441mm / 17.36 in
Stack 619mm / 24.37 in
Standover Height: 814mm / 32.05 in

And here are specs for a Medium Specialized Chisel:

Seat Tube Length: 430mm / 16.9 in
Top Tube Length: 594mm / 23.3 in
Head Tube Length: 95mm / 3.7 in
Reach: 418mm / 16.45 in
Stack 605mm / 23.82 in
Standover Height: 790mm / 31.1 in

Specialized Chisel

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation (between two sizes)? If so, what was your resolution? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM

Fit

Do you have a fit document for your Roubaix?

Saddle height
Saddle setback
Reach from tip of saddle to center of bars
Drop from saddle to bars
Stem length
What size top cap and spacers under stem
Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Do you have a fit document for your Roubaix?

Saddle height
Saddle setback
Reach from tip of saddle to center of bars
Drop from saddle to bars
Stem length
What size top cap and spacers under stem
Yes.

Saddle height: 723
Saddle (fore/aft): -15
Reach (bar/hood): 532
Drop: 7
Stem (Length/Angle): 100/12

Not sure about the toe cap and spacers. There were some further adjustments made after the initial fitting.

Last edited by DreamInColor; 09-24-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Medium

I think a large would be big on you. Your saddle height is not that high. My saddle height is 1cm taller than yours- And I prefer how a medium mountain bike feels.

Also- don't blindly buy into the short stem thing.

People are pushing long bikes with really short stems and wide bars. Many bikes on the floor have a stem of around 50mm- this will alter how a large feels vs. a medium.

It is totally acceptable to ride a mountain bike with a longer stem if it fits you better.

I like a 100mm stem on a medium mtb that has stack 597 and reach 423. Stem is -6 degree with no spacers underneath.