Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

which size is best???? HELP

All city Mr pink

Heres the dilema.. Im 5'10" Long arms (6'4" wingspan if that makes sense)

I had the 55cm it was ok felt a little big so I thought id sell that frame and try a 52cm- it feels small.

ran the 55cm with 110 stem and reach felt good
52cm w a 120 stem feels cramped (need 130 prob)

my saddle height is 75cm bb/c to top of saddle
flexible with bar drop etc.

Should also mention freakishly long femurs.. If that affects anything- typically run a 25mm setback post w saddle almost all the way back to get kops

http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_pink

any help is appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3061.jpg (69.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Luwabra; 09-21-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:43 PM

Something doesn't add up here. The 55 only has 5mm more reach, but you felt cramped on the smaller size with a 20mm longer stem? In theory you should have been 15mm more stretched out on the smaller size. Are you sure you were running the same saddle height, and more importantly the same saddle setback?

To me the decision between the two frames is how much drop you need as there is 20mm more stack on the 55.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Thanks bones^ I'll check ea post as they were different brands maybe one is less/more setback ik I used a Thomson elite setback on the 55.

Also it was 10mm more stem in using a 120mm on the 52 currently

Last edited by Luwabra; 09-21-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
Thanks bones^ I'll check ea post as they were different brands maybe one is less/more setback ik I used a Thomson elite setback on the 55.

Also it was 10mm more stem in using a 120mm on the 52 currently
Gotcha - With the 120mm stem on the 52 frame, your reach still should have been 5mm longer compared to the 55 with the 110mm.

Assuming you are using the same saddle on each frame, make sure you have the same setback by measuring the distance of the tip of the saddle in relation to the BB.

You have to know your saddle setback and saddle height before you dial in your reach. Your reach is manipulated with stem length (and bar height to an extent) - Never adjust reach with saddle setback.

Edit - it sounds like it is a setback issue - I'm pretty sure the offset on the Thompson's are around 18mm, so less than most offset posts - but you mentioned you had the Thompson on the 55, so I'm not sure...Again, make sure you have the same offset by simply measuring how far the tip of the saddle is behind the BB AND making sure you use the same saddle.

Also, are you also using the same handlebars? Different brands/models also have different reach and drop - this can skew things a lot!

Last edited by Bonesbrigade; 09-22-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:11 PM

I can't offer fitting advice, but you should probably plug in your phone!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 PM

It is interesting because the 52 is closer to a 55 than the 55
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 AM

View

Here's a shot of current fit.. maybe im just not used to that much post exposed on a more traditional geo. Idk the reach is pretty right on after riding more. The old hub is covered by bars when in drops is right on. Idk maybe I'm overthinking this. The drop is fine I'm flexible enough still (for now!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3089.jpg (144.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I can't offer fitting advice, but you should probably plug in your phone!!!
They don't call him Sparky for nothing.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM

Are you feeling cramped because your reach is less (which it isn't, or only by 5 mm at most) or because your bars are now 2 cm lower (assuming you have the same spacers added and so on, because your head tube is 2 cm lower)? I'm guessing it could be the latter and it isn't really a reach problem but you need your stem higher?

You also might have your knees too far up into your cockpit, given your long femurs. That can create a cramped feeling and can force more hip rotation than you are used to.

I've had a couple All City Nature Boys and a Big Block as winter fixies and this bike is like the rest of them. They tend to fit a bit big but aren't by any means bad. Don't use those measurements like spotting the front hub through the handlebars -- those are all out of date and don't give you any idea about fit. You should be measuring stack and reach, and then should be considering variables such as whether your shorter position on the smaller frame is altering hip rotation or the like. Stack and reach is a nice idea for a frame builder but it doesn't always fit you properly -- it's giving you the size of the box but not how you're packed in it, so to speak. It avoids issues such as where your knees are relative to your shoulders only if you measure stack and reach from frame points, not from the bars or saddle or with crank arm length in mind. But definitely don't use those old CONI measurement standards like front hub position or KOPS.

Nice looking bike. Needs white bar tape.

Last edited by 11.4; 09-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM

thanks for the insight 11.4

white tape would require a white saddle imo that I do not own. also white tape,gravel....??? i may try it, thats out of my comfort zone but ill try living on the edge
Old 09-28-2017, 10:42 PM

White tape can look good w/o a white saddle depending on the frame. That mr pink would definitely look great with just white tape. The fit looks wonky though, saddle slammed back with hoods / bars also rotated backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk