Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM
ColonelJLloyd ColonelJLloyd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
The range is 408% so more like an 11-45
Assuming only one chainring.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 PM
donevwil's Avatar
donevwil donevwil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Assuming only one chainring.
As is every Alfine application I've ever seen.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:25 PM
ColonelJLloyd ColonelJLloyd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
As is every Alfine application I've ever seen.
Sure, but my point is that an IGH typically replaces a 2x drivetrain. Or at least it did until everyone and their mother hopped on the 1x wagon. If one were going from a 50/34 crankset an 11-32 cassette would be close (428%) to the equivalent range of an Alfine 11.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-09-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM
donevwil's Avatar
donevwil donevwil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Sure, but my point is that an IGH typically replaces a 2x drivetrain. Or at least it did until everyone and their mother hopped on the 1x wagon. If one were going from a 50/34 crankset an 11-32 cassette would be close (428%) to the equivalent range of an Alfine 11.
Yes, I understand. My perspective was apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Your perspective is clearly different, more power to you.

Back to the bike, I'd love to hear the OP's opinions on the drivetrain.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-09-2017, 03:13 PM
54ny77 54ny77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,583
wow, had no idea all that gearing was possible (i've never ridden a bike with alfine and generally am very unfamiliar with the equipment).

thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM
RudAwkning's Avatar
RudAwkning RudAwkning is offline
Resident Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
Gearing for internally geared hubs always comes down to the ratio of front ring to rear sprocket.

For comparison, my Ellis Strada Fango has an 42/28 with an 11/40 cassette. Based on a the 29x2.1 tires, the gear range in gear inches is:

___42
11 110.5
13 93.5
15 81
17 71.5
21 57.9
24 50.6
27 45
31 39.2
35 34.7
40 30.4


___28
11 73.7
13 62.3
15 54
17 47.7
19 42.6
21 38.6
24 33.8
27 30
31 26.1
35 23.2
40 20.3


The Steve Rex with its 42T chainring and 23t cog (a 1.8 ratio) with the Alfine hub, based on the 650b fatties is:

42x23
108.8
95.4
84.3
73.9
65.3
57.3
50.3
44.4
38.9
34.4
26.6

So by comparison, I'm missing the two lowest gears on the Ellis. I've got a 24t cog on order (aftermarket) and may switch to the stock Alfine crank with a 39t. That'll get me 1 step lower. But at the end of the day, if I'm hitting really gnarly $hit, I should be on the Ellis anyway. This is my "townie" afterall

Although Shimano does warn against going below a 1.8 ratio. A 39x24 will be pushing 1.6 which is beyond the recommended torque meant to be applied to the hub. But I'll never use that 108.8 high gear, and I'd love 1 step lower!

Last edited by RudAwkning; 08-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:16 PM
RudAwkning's Avatar
RudAwkning RudAwkning is offline
Resident Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8aaron8 View Post
Very cool bike, I never thought a townie could be cool Also, the paint is lovely.
Candy red over gold looks so sick in the sunlight.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM
RudAwkning's Avatar
RudAwkning RudAwkning is offline
Resident Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Yes, I understand. My perspective was apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Your perspective is clearly different, more power to you.

Back to the bike, I'd love to hear the OP's opinions on the drivetrain.
There's no straight 1 to 1 gear, so you're always engaging the interplanetary gearing system. Which means, on paper, I should be fighting drag. Especially with the helically cut gears. Quieter, but less efficient.

There are 2 "index" points above and below neutral that act as a digital "barrel adjuster". I've only just started playing around with them to see which will give the smoothest shifts.

The drivetrain doesn't like to shift under heavy load, so I'm adjusting my shift timing for when my driveside leg is about to hit 6 o'clock. Not quite as brainless as my Ellis XTR di2 which lets me do whatever the fu(k I want, when I want!

Taken from Sheldon Brown:

"Shimano has avoided having a nice efficient direct drive gear 5 (or 6). As it is, the hub uses a single gear train in gears 1, 7, 8, 9, thus these are likely the most efficient gears. Two gear trains are used in gears 2 ,3, 4, 10, 11 (medium efficiency), and three are used in gears 5 and 6 (probable lowest efficiency). Under very low loads, the parasitic losses from the overrun roller clutches may be more apparent than the gear train (meshing + bearing) losses."

All that being said, the hub is super smooth and the shifts happen instantly, unlike other Nexus/Alfine cable driven systems I've tried, which can be finicky as hell.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 PM
donevwil's Avatar
donevwil donevwil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
There's no straight 1 to 1 gear, so you're always engaging the interplanetary gearing system. Which means, on paper, I should be fighting drag. Especially with the helically cut gears. Quieter, but less efficient.

There are 2 "index" points above and below neutral that act as a digital "barrel adjuster". I've only just started playing around with them to see which will give the smoothest shifts.

The drivetrain doesn't like to shift under heavy load, so I'm adjusting my shift timing for when my driveside leg is about to hit 6 o'clock. Not quite as brainless as my Ellis XTR di2 which lets me do whatever the fu(k I want, when I want!

Taken from Sheldon Brown:

"Shimano has avoided having a nice efficient direct drive gear 5 (or 6). As it is, the hub uses a single gear train in gears 1, 7, 8, 9, thus these are likely the most efficient gears. Two gear trains are used in gears 2 ,3, 4, 10, 11 (medium efficiency), and three are used in gears 5 and 6 (probable lowest efficiency). Under very low loads, the parasitic losses from the overrun roller clutches may be more apparent than the gear train (meshing + bearing) losses."

All that being said, the hub is super smooth and the shifts happen instantly, unlike other Nexus/Alfine cable driven systems I've tried, which can be finicky as hell.
You speak the truth. I'm very familiar with the mechanical shifting Alfine 11 as I built one into a commuter for my wife.

One note, keep an eye on maintenance and change the oil when recommended. I underestimated the mileage my wife was putting on hers and did the first oil change a few hundred miles later than recommended. She commented that the shifting had gone to sh!$ and I had no explanation for her, changed the oil and all was better.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM
RudAwkning's Avatar
RudAwkning RudAwkning is offline
Resident Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
You speak the truth. I'm very familiar with the mechanical shifting Alfine 11 as I built one into a commuter for my wife.

One note, keep an eye on maintenance and change the oil when recommended. I underestimated the mileage my wife was putting on hers and did the first oil change a few hundred miles later than recommended. She commented that the shifting had gone to sh!$ and I had no explanation for her, changed the oil and all was better.
I believe the Alfine digital display has a "change oil" warning light on it, no?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM
donevwil's Avatar
donevwil donevwil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
I believe the Alfine digital display has a "change oil" warning light on it, no?
At least changes on the 11 are easy compared to 8s. Although a few forums had comments on using cheaper alternate oils I ended up buying a can of the Shimano fluid ($$$) for piece of mind. Should last the life of the hub.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM
NHAero NHAero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 993
Very cool bike!
Could you run a belt on an Alfine build, had the frame been set up for that?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM
coelacant coelacant is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 241
I like the minimalist light mount. Very cool! it's what I would do if I were to have a dynamo front wheel built... One of these days.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 PM
RudAwkning's Avatar
RudAwkning RudAwkning is offline
Resident Slacker
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,219
A right proper day in Tamarancho. #underbiking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4849.jpg (153.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4851.jpg (120.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4848.jpg (86.7 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:55 AM
fuzzalow fuzzalow is offline
It An't Me Babe
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: a helluva town
Posts: 3,903
Nice bike, looks like fun.

I never say to anybody slam that stem even though I slam that stem - It is all good and all done in service of the ride.©
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.