Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM

C40 build - cockpit

Had a previous post on C40 build paint touch up which had several helpful responses. Thanks for the advice, that issue is taken care of. Had a follow up question in that thread about the cockpit which I am not entirely satisfied with. Fuzzlaow and Cadence 90 helped me out with that but have another question hence new thread.
Currently, cockpit consists of Deda Zero 100 stem and handlebars. Don't like the 8 degree angle with attendant rise to stem vis-a-vis the traditional straight top tube so ordered a Zipp service course sl stem with a - 17 degree which should give a stem horizontal to TT.
Also considering swapping the Deda Zero 100 bars for the Deda Zero 100 Shallow. The latter has more of a classic bend which I like aesthetically but might also work well with the 11sp Campy ergos.
I'm sure forumites have tried and could compare both? Thanks.

Last edited by galgal; 03-28-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM
It An't Me Babe

I can't comment on ergo bend bars as I have not used them but I am responding to the crux of what you were originally asking about which I originally read as one concerning Campagnolo ergo shifting in the drops. And as there are as yet no replies and I can offer a suggestion/solution, here we are.

Campagnolo, Madonna del Ghisallo bless them, are correct in making their shifter ergonomics very reliant upon a racebike posture. Nobody shifts from the drops with the mouse ear unless the shifters are setup the way Campagnolo wants, and thinks it is correct, as the way to upshift. Kinda like Apple insists about certain things.

So you gotta run the shifters low. If doing so compromises comfort riding the hoods, them I'd suggest that the setup for both the shifters AND the rider fit & position is not correct from the vantage of riding a sporting, drop bar bicycle.

Thinking of a response to your inquiry was what I posted on this topic in the bike fit section - what I've said here is essentially the same as what I posted there.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Thank you kindly, sir.
On my two other bikes running Campagnolo, which both have straight TTs, I do have the hoods/shifters set low on classic bend bars. Like the look and feel, and it is perfectly easy and comfortable reaching the downshift thumb shifters from the hooks.
My mistake to be lured by the ergo/compact set up. Am installing the -17 Zipp stem today and will see if I can properly move the hoods further down on the Deda bars. If not, will swap them for Deda Shallow bars which do have a classic bend that would allow moving the hoods lower.
Btw, that is a really nice bike and set up in above pic!
Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 AM

Many, myself included, consider the Zero100s the perfect bars for Campy 11s shifters cos you can get an almost perfectly flat or level transition from the bars to the hoods. And from the drops (due to the "double radius curve") the thumb shifter is easily accessible (for most adults).

As for the Zero100 Shallow bars, they're great if you prefer classic bars. As Fuzzalow mentioned you'd want to place the shifters lower in order to reach the thumb tingee. I prefer the "compact" Zero100s; however, the shallow bars remain comfortable for someone used to more modern shapes (95% riding on the hoods).

Shallow bars in this setup:

-17 stem

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-29-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM

I will differ slightly. i ride w/ deda shallow bars which are similar to Cinelli Giro DItalia. I have small hands and shift down easily the mickey mouse ears while aligning the tip of the levers w/ the bar flats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pinarellosaab1.jpg (76.8 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I will differ slightly. i ride w/ deda shallow bars which are similar to Cinelli Giro DItalia. I have small hands and shift down easily the mickey mouse ears while aligning the tip of the levers w/ the bar flats.
So the Deda shallows are similar to Cinelli Giro bars - good to know. Might just opt for them, though will heed Beeatnik's advice and see if I can make the Deda Zero 100 work.
Riding weather in NYC today so should get to it. And thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:38 AM

I'm running the Superleggera bars with the new Campy Revolution 11s shifters on my EPS and find it also has a similar transition. I'm not running the cables through the bars, so they are a bit fat around the stem but that's my own fault.

@beeatnik - nice shots to help explain too. What stem is that? I have a Nemesis currently but also would prefer one level to the TT with a traditional geo. I have a set of Deda Trentacinque for a C50 build, but not sure that's going to work. Plus I will be running 10s Record
Old 03-29-2017, 11:45 AM

rob, the stem is a 3T (pro or team, the one with the red stripe). going with the Zipp Sl stems now as they are available in a -17 murdered out with nice torx bolts.

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-29-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM

@Beeatnik. Yes, thx for pics, very helpful.
I'm using the Zipp sc sl -17 stem as well. Very nice
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Alright, finally got bike set up and took first ride, a leisurely 25 miles. Nice weather, everything on bike works, fits and rides just fine. Not going to comment on ride quality, it's a C40, except that it put a smile on my face.
Don't need to tweak anything beyond raising saddle a little. Swapping the Deda stem for the Zipp was a good thing.
The Deda Zero 100 with Campy continued to mystify me though. I think I'm with Fuzzalow on Campy hood set up on this. Bars feel fine on top and in the drops by themselves but not optimal with Campy. It's not just reaching the mouse ear shifters in the drops but also while on the hoods. I had to move my fingers back a bit to do that. It's not that I can't reach them while in hoods or drops but it was effortless in my other bikes which had them set up as Fuzzalow suggests. I'm going to incrementally rotate bars to see if that helps and just try to get used to ergo/compact bars, though I wager Deda Shallows might be in my near future. Thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions for the build. Couple of pics to show handlebar/hoods set up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0094.jpg (104.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 PM

Handlebar pic didn't go through, sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0095.jpg (115.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 PM

C40 looks great. 2015 Campy updates the frame without detracting from the classic lines. Digging every build I've seen so far.

As for the bars, here's a few good pics of how I set mine up:

Campy 10 w/ Deda Speciale (same drop and reach as Shallows)

Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 PM

Beeatnik, thanks for the pics. Will help as I try and tweak the hoods/handlebars. The pic on the Moots suggests that I could try moving hoods a bit further down.
Btw, incredibly lovely bikes, to state the obvious.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Many, myself included, consider the Zero100s the perfect bars for Campy 11s shifters cos you can get an almost perfectly flat or level transition from the bars to the hoods. And from the drops (due to the "double radius curve") the thumb shifter is easily accessible (for most adults).

As for the Zero100 Shallow bars, they're great if you prefer classic bars. As Fuzzalow mentioned you'd want to place the shifters lower in order to reach the thumb tingee. I prefer the "compact" Zero100s; however, the shallow bars remain comfortable for someone used to more modern shapes (95% riding on the hoods).

Shallow bars in this setup:

-17 stem

Beeatnik ... the hard to find Mapei C59 .. what size is that frame ?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:23 AM

I replaced my old daytona 10sp levers w/ centaur powershift. The downshift mickey mouse ears are placed forward on powershift.
I have to say that on the older levers i also had to reach for the button like OP mentioned.
I thought the new 11sp US levers would have the same ergo design.