Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM

+1 on the tire jack. I had a wheel/tire combo I just couldn't mount until I got a VAR Tyre tool, then they went on without too much effort. Nice tool.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 PM

Cool, investigating that tire jack. Would you recommend going to Velox instead the strips that came with them? That's what I've always used on handbuilts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Cool, investigating that tire jack. Would you recommend going to Velox instead the strips that came with them? That's what I've always used on handbuilts..
Velox is thicker than most nylon or similar rim strips.

Back in the day folks used strapping tape... using tubeless tape is probably the most popular current alternative to a traditional rim strip.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM

i've got fulcrum zeros, carbon zeros and bora ones, and put Shwalbes and Specailized gripton (caused its rated least rolling resistance and therefore makes me very fast) on by hand on all of them.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Just mounted one on a spare Fulcrum Racing 4 (which I know is basically a Campy wheel) and it was still a PITA, but not quite as bad as the Neutrons. Going to leave it on and pumped up for a day or two and then see if it'll go on the Neutron easier..

I was able to mount an old Bontrager R3 on the Neutron by hand.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 PM

GP4000's and S-Works Turbos and turbo cottons have been the most difficult clinchers I've tried mounting. Challenge tires, they slip right on. Also the cheaper Specialized tires are easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 PM

I've been running Michelin Pro 4 Service Course for several years and they tend to be easier than some of the other tires when it comes to mounting.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 AM

Try some Schwalbe One tires. Very easy to mount.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Is that typical for the Vittorias then? I couldn't imagine trying to deal w these on the side of the road, even if they did loosen a bit..
My experience with Vittorias, and particularly with the Open Paves, is that they are pretty snug initially but stretch to a comfortable size once installed for a bit. If you wanted to use that tire, I wouldn't worry too much about a roadside repair... mine were a PITA to get on at first, but went on/off easily with just my hands after that. If you can't get it on your campy wheels, I bet installing on an easier wheel for a few days would provide that little extra stretch to get them on the Neutrons.

For what it's worth, I just replaced mine with the newer Corsa G+ and those were much easier to install.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
My experience with Vittorias, and particularly with the Open Paves, is that they are pretty snug initially but stretch to a comfortable size once installed for a bit. If you wanted to use that tire, I wouldn't worry too much about a roadside repair... mine were a PITA to get on at first, but went on/off easily with just my hands after that. If you can't get it on your campy wheels, I bet installing on an easier wheel for a few days would provide that little extra stretch to get them on the Neutrons.

For what it's worth, I just replaced mine with the newer Corsa G+ and those were much easier to install.
Thanks - was able to get one on the Neutron without killing the tube and one on a Fulcrum wheel - got them pumped to 120 PSI and going to leave them there. My goal was to run these with latex tubes, so we'll see if they loosen enough to try that..

Thanks all!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 PM

F$%k that s$%&t.. i would ride clinchers to avoid pre mounting, stretching in dryers, using levers and tire jacks.. why not ride tubulars if you are going through all the work for chriss sake??????
Not to mention tubulars ride better and make any bike look 10x cooler.

Last edited by colker; 03-27-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Try Michelin, maybe Specialized... even Conti I found to be tighter.

Vredstein - super loose, to the point I won't use them.

Also.. do what works with UST setups. Take a dixie cup of water, put a couple drops of dishwasher soap in it. Stir and apply to the tire bead. It will go right on. Same thing with all the other methods, you likely won't need the soapy water the second time they get mounted.

Last edited by benb; 03-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
F$%k that s$%&t.. i would ride clinchers to avoid pre mounting, stretching in dryers, using levers and tire jacks.. why not ride tubulars if you are going through all the work for chriss sake??????
Not to mention tubulars ride better and make any bike look 10x cooler.
What, did Old Spud create another user name 'colker'? The only thing missing here is the 'nancy' part...

Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
What, did Old Spud create another user name 'colker'? The only thing missing here is the 'nancy' part...

Easy big fella...I wouldn't have said the F that S part...but yes, using clinchers is for Nancys.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Easy big fella...I wouldn't have said the F that S part...but yes, using clinchers is for Nancys.
... or when you are broke, live in the streets, can´t afford tubulars and live off clincher wheels you find in the dumpster. Then it´s understandable.