Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 05:44 AM

Best/most reliable Campagnolo Ergos

I'm currently using Chorus 11 on my winter bike, and it's not really cutting the mustard. I mean the Ergos themselves are fine; it's the chain/cassette and quality of the shifts that're lacking when it's not been cleaned for weeks/months (whoops!)

Obviously I could spend more time cleaning my bike, but I'd prefer not to.

So, what I'm looking to do is "downgrade" to 10 speed, or possibly even 9 speed, in an attempt to get a more reliable setup that'll last longer (I'm positive my 11 speed drivetrain wears out much quicker than my older 8/9/10 speed ones used to do).

Which, in you guys's opinion are the best/most reliable 9 or 10 speed shifters? I'm only looking for Ultrashift levers.

I've got some Veloce Ultrashift (2010 vintage I think) on another bike, and I've had Centaur from a similar year in the past, both work(ed) well (these both have the newer shape hoods that're the same as my Chorus 11).

Are these what I should be looking for? Or are there better options?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 05:59 AM
Lanterne rouge

So, you want stuff that works even when you dont take care of it?

Seems like it would be easier to do a little maintenance. Chorus is good stuff.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
So, you want stuff that works even when you dont take care of it?

Seems like it would be easier to do a little maintenance. Chorus is good stuff.

This. Even a basic regular cleaning of the drivetrain will extend it's life and keep it shifting smoothly. That's got to be much cheaper and easier than changing it.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:39 AM

:-D

Unfortunately I don't really have the means or the motivation to clean my bike regularly. It'd be nice to have a yard with an outdoor tap and a hose, but I don't......And I'd prefer not to clean my bike in the shower.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 AM
ZhugeLiang

I have access to an outside hose and tap...but that's not what I use to clean my bike.

All I need is baby wipes, WD40 and some rags.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:49 AM

I am clean freak but you don’t have to be.

I always have a can of some sort of teflon spray that I use clean the chain, cogs derailleurs and heck even my pedals. Like WD-40 it will remove grease and grime but unlike WD-40 it has better lubricant quality with silicone and teflon etc. Before the ride I will use a dry wax lube quick on the chain.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:54 AM

I moved back to Campag. 9v with down tube levers for my utility road machine. This was the best equipment decision I've recently made. Very low maintenance and reliable as heck. No regrets.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Just use rock n roll gold lube instead of that garbage stuff most shops stock. it is perfect for people who don't like cleaning their drivetrain because it cleans as it lubes. I find it needs to be applied pretty frequently in wet weather but it takes five seconds.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 AM

If you are seriously thinking about downgrades, I like the Centaur 10 alloy, pre-quickshift era. Levers are solid, mechs are solid and the 10 speed chain is a little thicker on the plates.

Still works best if cleaned though. A simple wrap of an old rag around the chain, and a back-peddle to pull the whole chain through, and a couple of drops of lube helps a lot. IMO, "washing" is for mountain bikes covered in mud, & not much else...
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Make some rags and get to cleaning. Nothing works well when it isn't maintained.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have never cleaned my bike outside with a hose. You can clean your bike easily inside. Also how dirty are you getting your bike? If you are ridding in the rain regularly and its messing up your drive train that much i would sugest getting some fenders.

Or get a single speed bike because everything else is gonna need a tiny bit of maintnance
Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 AM

I have a 10 speed Daytona group that I am considering parting with. Let me know if you are interested.

Brad
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Hose? Shower?

If you're riding cyclocross or a MTB, maybe.

When I ride my road bike in winter salt, sand n' slush, I wash the bike right after the ride with a pail of warm water and a sponge out in my driveway. Works well, and takes 5-10 min or so. Then, in those nasty conditions, lube the chain every couple of rides.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Hose? Shower?

If you're riding cyclocross or a MTB, maybe.

When I ride my road bike in winter salt, sand n' slush, I wash the bike right after the ride with a pail of warm water and a sponge out in my driveway. Works well, and takes 5-10 min or so. Then, in those nasty conditions, lube the chain every couple of rides.
Yup..dirty chain wears stuff out quickly..bucket warm water, dish soap, big sponge..let dry, lube chain. Doesn't have to be pretty. No such thing as a free lunch..
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
:-D

Unfortunately I don't really have the means or the motivation to clean my bike regularly. It'd be nice to have a yard with an outdoor tap and a hose, but I don't......And I'd prefer not to clean my bike in the shower.
The vast majority of my maintenance on each of 4 bikes with Record 10, SR 11, Chorus 11, and Chorus 10 involves simply wiping down the chain after every ride - no water, no degreaser (sand and slush nothwithstanding...). That's it. I have been using that NFS lube, and it seems to have improved the chain cleanliness in this regard. But a simple wipe down and all ride quietly and as close to flawlessly as I think anyone could expect. Other maintenance is done as required, but keeping the chain clean is really the most important thing that keeps everything running great for me.

Last edited by OtayBW; 03-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.