Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM

I think Grant Peterson has predicted that Electric Motor Powered Bicycles will one day replace bicycles. Here in SoCal, they are becoming a nuisance on the MUPs. and if they are so great for commuting, then they should make a special Electric Motor Powered Bicycles lane on the freeways. Something needs to be done before some 60 lb. machine, driven by a 300 lb. exec., that lost his drivers license, mows down a toddler on his way home from happy hour.
I feel strongly about this because I have seen some close ones.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Whale of a

Something needs to be done about Ebikes?

Seems like the list of transportation related safety improvements is very long and ebikes as of yet would not be in the top 50.

On MUP trails maybe they might get into the top 5 but as with all other problems judgment is not always on great display when enjoying then great outdoors.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlyon View Post
Something needs to be done about Ebikes?

Seems like the list of transportation related safety improvements is very long and ebikes as of yet would not be in the top 50.

On MUP trails maybe they might get into the top 5 but as with all other problems judgment is not always on great display when enjoying then great outdoors.
Electric Motor Bicycles are relatively new and many folks are not aware of the dangers posed. Most everyone knows not to play in the street, but it will take a few accidents before everyone realizes that the MUP is also dangerous when 28 mph motorbikes are using it to get home from work.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
From the 50% mark down, there will be a temptation to move across the bell curve - all of the sudden they can do those epic rides they've read about in magazines.
Your comment brought me a laugh. The average, mass consumer, sedentary 'Murican neither reads, reads bike magazines nor aspires to epic rides. None of the above is what they do best!

For the most part I disagree with the main elements of your premise because the mere fact of an e-bike being of open cockpit two-wheels makes it self selecting and limiting to the people that will remain open to its use. This is a car culture society, and for the bulk, in more ways than one, of average Americans they will not be looking to cross over to two wheels anymore than they want to ride motorcycles or return to any form of bicycle which they left long ago as a rite of adulthood in getting their first driver license.

I support e-bikes, the more bicycles in all its myriad forms, the better. MUTs are not for e-bikes anymore than it is appropriate for a sport cyclist and if or when e-bikes get accepted and popular, the local municipalities will enforce those MUT restrictions by dealing with it when they gotta deal with it.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

I stopped in Hygiene today...great coffee and a home made blueberry pie thing that brought tears to my eyes. The other thing that brought tears to my eyes, was a rather large fella, that cruised up on what appeared to be, a e-bike Friday. Complete with 3 computers on his handlebars( I looked while he was in the loo)...iPhone, Garmin and CatEye. Only thing missing was a power meter(huh??)....sorry, enthusiast bike ride...don get it.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:14 PM

I want one for my wife. She wants to bike commute but doing it on a regular bike isn't real likely (time, showers, etc.), but an ebike would make it a legit option.

Of those who have one, did you dip your toe in first or dive into the deep end? Do you recommend a purpose-built ebike or a conversion? If a conversion, which kit (assuming a kit)?
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 PM

For my wife, I've been thinking about just buying a E rear wheel.....E assist. Everything is contained in the rear hub. She has bad knees.....from much surgery, and is limited to slow 10 mile rides at 6-10 MPH. Some E assist could extend her range, and maybe increase her speed some. She would ride only on trails, but no shortage of routes around our area. Just a E assist rear wheel might not be so obvious if they begin enforcing "No motors" rules.

There are several manufacturers of rear wheels sorta like this one. 700C. Freehub takes her Shimano 9 cassette. She keeps her gears and brakes, just rear wheel has assist. https://electricbikereview.com/super...enhagen-wheel/

Last edited by Ralph; 03-27-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 PM

e is for evil..
that´s my thought.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
I want one for my wife. She wants to bike commute but doing it on a regular bike isn't real likely (time, showers, etc.), but an ebike would make it a legit option.

Of those who have one, did you dip your toe in first or dive into the deep end? Do you recommend a purpose-built ebike or a conversion? If a conversion, which kit (assuming a kit)?
Just curious, why not a scooter? Even less sweat, more range, more cargo space, etc.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Just curious, why not a scooter? Even less sweat, more range, more cargo space, etc.
Depending on municipality, a scooter will almost always require registration and depending on DMV class of scooter, insurance and a motorcycle-class license qualification.

Any e-bike, as mostly undefined by DMV, is therefore untaxed, unlicensed and uninsured. Which makes it wild, wild west and any number can play.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post

I test rode one myself first before considering one for my wife. After riding it for a few minutes, I figured it would work for her. Once she confirmed by testing it herself, we dove into the deep end. I have no experience with conversions, so I can't speak to them. But I've been very impressed so far with the Specialized Levo. Specialized commuter style e-bikes start at about $2500, so at that price, it might make sense to get a fully integrated bike from a known entity with a proper warranty, rather than a donor bike/dyi-kit set up (assuming the budget allows). I have no affiliation, but this seems like a decent deal, all things considered.

Check this out:https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...an/turbo/66185
Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
For the most part I disagree with the main elements of your premise because the mere fact of an e-bike being of open cockpit two-wheels makes it self selecting and limiting to the people that will remain open to its use. This is a car culture society, and for the bulk, in more ways than one, of average Americans they will not be looking to cross over to two wheels anymore than they want to ride motorcycles or return to any form of bicycle which they left long ago as a rite of adulthood in getting their first driver license.
So limit the distribution to just people who ride two wheel vehicles. e-bikes will still cause a shift in the fitness scale.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
So limit the distribution to just people who ride two wheel vehicles. e-bikes will still cause a shift in the fitness scale.
So, some people will elect to pedal e-assist bikes over non-assist bikes.... And those that chose e-assist bikes do may not be as fit as those who ride non-assist bikes. YIKES!!! The HORROR!!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
I think Grant Peterson has predicted that Electric Motor Powered Bicycles will one day replace bicycles. Here in SoCal, they are becoming a nuisance on the MUPs. and if they are so great for commuting, then they should make a special Electric Motor Powered Bicycles lane on the freeways. Something needs to be done before some 60 lb. machine, driven by a 300 lb. exec., that lost his drivers license, mows down a toddler on his way home from happy hour.
I feel strongly about this because I have seen some close ones.
I've seen the same thing from cyclists on their way from happy hour to, well another happy hour. Close calls with others riding bikes and driving cars. Our bike trail, ARBT takes one right into downtown with lot's of happy hour locations.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Huh? What is your point here? This is still a free market consumer economy we are talkin' about, right?

I mean this with all respect, but I think your line of thought is caught up in your own narcissism in valuing a lifestyle earned in part by a fitness lifestyle. I do not believe the average American wants to be just like you or is in the least bit curious of wanting to experience your lifestyle. Fitness scale, as some arbitrary scale you apply on others, is a just a measure you use to look down on them.

Any cyclist cruising at 20mph is in good form. I don't think anyone is using an e-bike to cheat at going 20mph because they are too afraid of the work it takes to FTP @ 20mph wattage - the sport of cycling is not on their radar and they couldn't care less that someone is capable of 20mph under their own power.