Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 PM
You still here?

No Enigma in Mexico? I might have to change that.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
No Enigma in Mexico? I might have to change that.
Nothing yet. We could certainly make up something special for you.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:49 PM

I've been eyeing that Extensor Xcr but it's not clear which paint design is included in the price .
Old 03-28-2017, 04:54 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I've been eyeing that Extensor Xcr but it's not clear which paint design is included in the price .

The Elementary Design is the stock design. It is part paint, part natural brushed stainless steel. The logos you would be seeing are the brushed stainless showing thru. We had a yellow one at NAHBS. I have pictures of it. I'll post them today after I size them down to fit.

A quick note, we can polish the stainless finish that would show thru the paint(logos) and the stays that would be bare. But, a brushed finish is easier to care for. If you scratch the brushed stainless, you can use a green Scotch Brite pad and little buff it out. A scratch on polish is much tougher. It's the same with a titanium finish thats brushed vs polished.

The Extensor is a Signature Collection frame. It is made in the U.K. Right now Columbus is out of tubing till May 20th. So there is a slight delay in getting one done. Typically a U.K. Made frame is done and delivered in 90 days. But due to the tubing delay it's a bit longer. This is the reason the Extensor frame for Matt Phillips at Bicycling Magazine is delayed a bit.

If you check out Bicycling Magazine on Facebook, Matt Phillips did a Facebook live feed from NAHBS in the Reynolds booth. They were talking about the Reynolds RZR wheels but the bike the RZR's were on was the yellow Extensor I am posting pictures of.

Last edited by sales guy; 03-28-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Vendor

This is the Enigma Extensor XCr frame. It was at NAHBS but not in our booth.

Reynolds wanted to have one of our bikes for their booth. Deal was, if we put their wheels on it, they would post it in their booth. I said sure and asked what everyone else was doing. They said every bike in the booth so far was titanium. So I was like, well we are doing stainless then. The original idea was to have it painted in the Reynolds BLUE color. But Columbus is out of tubing till May 20th. So that idea was scraped. This frame/bike was a demo we had in Britain. It's actually heading back there because it is sold now.

The bike was spotless. No scratches or dents or anything. It was really nice to show off as there was not a bunch of stainless frames there. Maybe a handful. It would have been nice to have in the booth to talk about, but oh well. Always Interbike!

It is a stock geometry frame. It is Made in the UK. It is a spin of the Elementary Design scheme. We painted more of the stays though. The logos and chainstay are brushed stainless steel. The color is between a fluro yellow and regular yellow. A full fluro color fades quicker so this gives it a better base that won't. It has a nice deep clearcoat over everything.

The build, minus the wheels is what came over from Britain. It is our stem and seatpost- yes, painted to match. And that can be done on any post or stem for an up-charge. It is a full Campagnolo Chorus 11 kit with an Edco MonoBlock cassette cause the wheels they sent, Reynolds RZRs were Shimano bodied. The skewers are the ones from Reynolds. Tires, Veloflex tubulars(my personal ones).
And yes, it is a stainless steel cage to keep with the 'stainless' theme.

The standard Elementary Design finishes the stays closer to the BB and the Seat Cluster area and leaves more exposed stainless steel. We can do whatever paint wise. But like I mentioned above, it's better to do a brushed finish VS the polished finish. Easier to care for. But we can absolutely do either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0579.jpg (71.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0581.jpg (57.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0601.jpg (62.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (53.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.jpg (61.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0582.jpg (86.2 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0623.jpg (65.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0635.jpg (76.3 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.jpg (133.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0592.jpg (37.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 AM

Thanks for sharing these awesome bikes! Quick question not sure if this was asked yet. How come you guys run a 31.6 seatpost vs 27.2 thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
Thanks for sharing these awesome bikes! Quick question not sure if this was asked yet. How come you guys run a 31.6 seatpost vs 27.2 thanks!

It hasn't been asked yet. There are a few reasons. One, durability of the frame. Stiffer frame for more power transfer. And it is a bit more comfortable. 31.6 posts can be thinner and flex a bit more than a 27.2mm post. But be just as durable or more durable than a 27.2mm post.

Last edited by sales guy; 03-28-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
And it is a bit more comfortable. 31.6 posts can be thinner and flex a bit more than a 27.2mm post.
That is the opposite marketing that the rest of the industry uses. That said, one is only a shim away from using a 27.2mm seat post if they don't subscribe to the Enigma rationale.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
That is the opposite marketing that the rest of the industry uses. That said, one is only a shim away from using a 27.2mm seat post if they don't subscribe to the Enigma rationale.
Yep, it is. I know it sounds off. And yes, you can easily put a shim in.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
It hasn't been asked yet. There are a few reasons. One, durability of the frame. Stiffer frame for more power transfer. And it is a bit more comfortable. 31.6 posts can be thinner and flex a bit more than a 27.2mm post. But be just as durable.
very interesting and good to know!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
very interesting and good to know!

I know it sounds backwards to everything everyone else is saying marketing wise. But here's the issues:

With a 27.2mm post, for a larger compact frame, there is too much flex. Too much post sticking out and it has more leverage on it. It can lead to bent seatposts. With a 31.6mm post, you don't have as much flex, less chance of a bent post. There is just enough flex to take off some of the harshness that roads give you.

I have found this issue out personally on my mountain bikes. I have bent many 27.2mm posts on it. Never bent a 31.6mm post though. I am 6'3 and 240 pounds. So for someone like me, a 31.6mm post makes tons of sense. For smaller/lighter riders, yes, a 27.2mm post makes more sense.

But you also have to factor other things into the seattube diameter. Many times, companies make the seattubes larger to keep stiffness in the frame. But then it becomes too harsh and people don't like them. Specialized is a perfect example of why they use Zerts in the post. To add comfort. They are still using a 27.2mm post tho. So by their own and pretty much everyone elses marketing, a 27.2mm post automatically gives you a more comfortable ride. Then why add Zerts? Its cause they are making the frame stiffer for power transfer. Which kills all the comfort.

I know it sounds backwards.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM

Ive been checking out the website. It is very informative..really like it.

I'm very drawn to this bike..the Elite HSS. I love the orange.

Do you guys ship to Canada as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enigma_EliteHSS_2_d8e2be47-8d30-4f05-8065-4deb1ccd2ce8.jpg (46.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
Ive been checking out the website. It is very informative..really like it.

I'm very drawn to this bike..the Elite HSS. I love the orange.

Do you guys ship to Canada as well?

The website is pretty detailed. It's like 90% there. There are a few questions we get but most of the questions can be answered off the website.

That paint scheme is the 'Elite Design' It is the stock colorway for the Elite HSS frameset. It is a slight twist on the Elementary Design. You can do any main color and any contrasting color for the logos which is the smaller sections like on the fork and stays. You can also add stripes- like at the end of the main color and on the fork. And you can obviously get the seatpost and stem to match. All of those would be an up-charge.

As for shipping to Canada, yep, we can. I have not yet, but I can make it happen.

The Elite HSS, we had one of those at NAHBS as just a frame. It was in the Anvil FrameWorks booth in one of the jigs. It was black main color with the fluro orange for the secondary color. The fluro is really nice. AND, it matches the fluro orange bar tape from Fizik perfectly!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 PM

i really like it with the painted stem and white accents.

I just have to figure out what customs would do with the charges

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Vendor

Here is the review from Road Bike Action Magazine, May 2017- 'Euro Issue'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAB May 2017 cover .jpg (48.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg RBA May 2017 main pages.jpg (74.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg RBA May 2017 review page.jpg (53.1 KB, 152 views)