Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM

Here is my old trusty friend a Match built Hampsten Cinghale from 2000. I have many miles on it and it needs some serious tlc this year, but it is the bike that I just never get tired of. I even sold it once to a friend then bought it back. Wow what a terrible picture. Question if I have already posted a picture how come I can not post it again? I posted a picture of my bike on March 11th in the production bike section but no I can not post that one here, it is much better picture too. Oh well I am trying to get the hang of this picture posting thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1dscf0017.jpg (77.9 KB, 291 views)

Last edited by john903; 03-26-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:28 PM

This Serotta CRL was refinished by Keith Anderson and it along with another that is larger are two that i plan to give to my sons one day. I am still sorting saddles on this one. I have ridden other bikes, newer, lighter, etc. but none better. The other CRL sports a 6700 drivetrain and more "modern" wheels. Both are great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1926.jpg (57.6 KB, 296 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 PM

Beautiful bikes!

I've owned my Crosshairs longer than any other bike. It's too versatile (and fun) for me to give up. I have a go fast bike that's sitting around lately because I just can't go fast anymore.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Small ring

My keepers are generally bikes they cannot easily be replaced. Right now I have three bikes each in two locations. It turns out that there's two De Rosa's and one Cinelli in both locations. I am lucky in that I can ride stock sizes and don't really require a custom. I have a De Rosa professional and a De Rosa Primato in both locations. I also have a Cinelli SC at one home and a Cinelli NSC at the other. I don't need three bikes at each location and would love to sell one but can't bear to sell any of them. I guess they're all keepers.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho74 View Post
Beautiful bikes!

I've owned my Crosshairs longer than any other bike. It's too versatile (and fun) for me to give up. I have a go fast bike that's sitting around lately because I just can't go fast anymore.

My old Crosshairs is the bike I most regret selling for all the reasons you mentioned. It was just a fun bike to ride.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Ditto on the DK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eleanor 2.jpg (76.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I think we need to see pix of the three Italian bikes.
Heh.....here you go.

The Losa (more here)

I don't seem to have any really good pics of the Pog.

Frejus (more here)

Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by john903 View Post
Question if I have already posted a picture how come I can not post it again? I posted a picture of my bike on March 11th in the production bike section but no I can not post that one here, it is much better picture too. Oh well I am trying to get the hang of this picture posting thing.
The forum software only lets you post it once. You can try resizing or renaming the pic....that often tricks it into letting you post again.

But the easier method is to go to your pic, right click on it, select 'view image info' (or something similar depending on the browser) and then copy the address. This allows you to use the 'insert image' icon to post it as a regular pic rather than an attachment.

This pic I presume? Nice bike.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:32 PM

touring bike

Green Tamarack.jpg

My almost 20 year old Tamarack custom touring bike. Shown here freshly re-painted and upgraded.

Last edited by David in Maine; 03-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 PM

Merckx Millenium

I have been a serial frame switcher and usually keep a stable of 4 road bikes. I enjoy all my bikes, but I think the one that is my keeper is my Merckx Millenium 3. Being a clydesdale, I need a stiff bike and the Merckx provides that in spades. But there is a certain calmness to the ride that I have never experienced in another bike. It is probably a tad small for me, a 63cm would fit me a little better than this 61cm, but it is more than close enough for my needs.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Thanks for posting those great Italian bikes

Love that Frejus!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:16 PM

This one is my only truly-hard-and-fast keeper. It's nothing special, just an '87 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. It was a mutt even when it was new, with Columbus Cromor tubing, Suntour shifting, Ofmega cranks, and Modolo brakes. It was the cheapest model that Bianchi made that was built in Italy, and that likely means it wasn't the highest quality even then. But it was my fist "good" bicycle, bought as a high-school teenager with gift money from grandparents and money saved up from a summer job. I raced it in a few USCF junior events in New York state in the late 80's, but mostly rode it around the backroads of Dutchess County and dreamed of Italy and getting out of my small town (which wasn't really that small, after all, but it felt like it at sixteen). I've replaced the components many times, but the frame remains. Thanks to the amazing patience of my parents, who stored it in the rafters of their garage while I flirted with a succession of other bikes. Now, though, I can't imagine replacing it. It wouldn't be worth anything much to anyone else, anyway.

It's a keeper. I'm attached to my other bikes, but they're not the beginning.

Ironically, it's back to being semi-relevant these days as it fits 700x32's. Here, she stands almost ready for Eroica California -- just need to swap out the pedals.

Last edited by mhespenheide; 03-27-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Well obviously for me the Rapha Cross IF. That one is a keeper for sure...I don't want to buy that three times anyway.

The one I keep grabbing is the SEVEN I got here last year. It was supposed to be too long (well only half a cm) however, it just feels great. Rebuilt it this winter with Campy 10speed and it is even better than before.

love this thing! It was the bike that I rediscovered my love of cycling last summer.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM

I tend to roll over the Fleet frequently, these are the ones I can't see selling anytime soon.

The Workhorse rain bike
Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Serotta nhx. I bought the thing new in 1991. It was the only bike I rode for about 15 years. Went from Shimano 600 to Durace 7400, and then to Record 10. Rode it a lot. Now has a nicer Campy seatpost and Rolls saddle. Along with a couple of guitars, it was the best thing I ever bought.

Still have it, and also a few newer bikes that I also like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHX 1.JPG (142.1 KB, 119 views)