Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Buy a new frame. The whole point of a bike like the Chromag is to use a short stem; they're meant to be ridden stood up.

If you want a bike to just sit on and get the miles in, then get something else with suitable geometry.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Yes, as I said, this is a particular kind of hardtail that is intended to be used in nasty terrain - its not a Ritchey 29er! (though those are cool too). The Chromag guys not only sell, but extensively ride, these bikes, so I would say that while it is partially marketing, these folks also beat on their bikes. The guy I spoke to even linked to a vid of him riding and he's a mid-40s lifer - not the 23yr old dirt jumper kid that you usually see in their vids, so it was the real thing.

To be honest, since building it, I haven't properly beaten on it (tailbone wipeout on a skateboard!) so I have ripped around on some easy trails and ridden to park with my kids, curb-hopping etc. What I should do is ride it as is.

I do know that a few people have said my bar is pretty narrow at 730mm) - crazy to XC people, but it makes sense when railing downhill.

Buying a new dropper doesn't seem a great idea and the Chromag guy was certain that the Large was my size (he said I could get away with the Med/Lg, but I refused that one).

Its a great bike and nicely made, so I need to figure out how to dial the contact points.

Last edited by d_douglas; 03-27-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 PM

I won't ride anything shorter than 760mm, actually looking at some 780s for the new bike. It seems weird, and trees are a concern, but I've found my skills have improved compared to when I rode 680s, and it's no longer an issue. Perhaps the same will be true for you. But get some good trail miles in before spending any money!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

To be honest, since REbuilding it, I haven't properly beaten on it (tailbone wipeout on a skateboard!) so I have ripped around on some easy trails and ridden to park with my kids, curb-hopping etc. What I should do is ride it as is.
Just to clarify, I have beaten on this bike in its former setup and it also felt cramped until you start riding scary stuff - then the cockpit size makes sense. Its just that the new seatpost makes the reach 20mm shorter than it did before.

I have a buddy with a million parts, and he surely has a 760mm bar to try. Maybe I should ask him for a loaner (to buy, naturally)