Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I wish the 'nipple driver' thread was more interesting than this one
Reminds me when working at Folsom State Prison installing closed nipples and rigid risers for a drip irrigation system. One of the workers made a joke regarding these parts and a female worker took offence. She filed sexual harassment, the worker on probation for this position was fired, not sure what she got out of it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Pack fill

OK everybody, take a deep breath and realize that with all the other important stuff going on this is not really a big deal. Not a wise choice, but really such a fuss???
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM

Well, I never heard of Wolf Tooth before, but I have now.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
The knee jerk competition to see who can be the most offended that is popular these days can get out of hand pretty quickly.
^^^^So much this.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:33 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSLyFTKB...y=bicyclepubes
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
^^^^So much this.
Yes, because nobody (at least nobody you know) is GENUINELY offended by casual homophobia - basically calling people who use SRAM a fag.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Yes, because nobody (at least nobody you know) is GENUINELY offended by casual homophobia - basically calling people who use SRAM a fag.
Ugh. Here we go.

Never did I agree with what was posted and I vehemently agree that the picture was tasteless and stupid. But I ride SRAM and have friends (and a family member) who prefer same sex and the most that picture would garner from them (or me) is an eye roll.

I just think that getting all worked up and demanding the company "do better" and letting it ruin one's friggin day is just stupid.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Ugh. Here we go.

Never did I agree with what was posted and I vehemently agree that the picture was tasteless and stupid. But I ride SRAM and have friends (and a family member) who prefer same sex and the most that picture would garner from them (or me) is an eye roll.

I just think that getting all worked up and demanding the company "do better" and letting it ruin one's friggin day is just stupid.

Because you aren't being targeted. And since you're not, how can you say what should and shouldn't offend people? If you consider the fact that someone (granted maybe without permission) thought that making homophobic jokes on a platform designed to sell things would help sell things, you should see why people would think it's offensive.

The fact that some people here are comfortable saying "haha get over it" is equally offensive. And no, I am not advocating censorship but yes I am advocating accountability which is why I remarked earlier about safe spaces.

To a certain demographic of a certain age, everywhere used to be a safe space. You could say what you wanted about anyone not in your demographic and not be challenged. Now that people are being challenged for these comments - they want to stay in that safe space and tell everyone else that they are "looking to be offended." Ironic.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Pubes' take on it was not unfunny.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Agreed, people live to be ofended these days. Get over it and move on.
Because being offended took the place of being smart and thinking by yourself applying logic to information.
Being offended is short enough to tweet. Also, it´s drama and drama equals having a life. I could go on and on..
So in the end it´s all shallow " i am offended too" and Likes.
Any similarity w/ classic sci fi dystopia is only a coincidence.

Last edited by colker; 03-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM

Certainly expecting people to "just get over it" is not appropriate.

I don't think it is reasonable to somehow suggest that only the "targeted" people can have a meaningful opinion here, for one thing, it might be hard to separate out who is being truly targeted and who is not. More importantly we all have a say about how we think people with different opinions, no matter what they are, are to be treated.

The riot at Berkeley is a bad place to be concerning reactions to opinions. We all have the right to express opinions, we all have the right disprove of opinions. If we can't do it civilly we are going to be in a really big mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Because you aren't being targeted. And since you're not, how can you say what should and shouldn't offend people? If you consider the fact that someone (granted maybe without permission) thought that making homophobic jokes on a platform designed to sell things would help sell things, you should see why people would think it's offensive.

The fact that some people here are comfortable saying "haha get over it" is equally offensive. And no, I am not advocating censorship but yes I am advocating accountability which is why I remarked earlier about safe spaces.

To a certain demographic of a certain age, everywhere used to be a safe space. You could say what you wanted about anyone not in your demographic and not be challenged. Now that people are being challenged for these comments - they want to stay in that safe space and tell everyone else that they are "looking to be offended." Ironic.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 03-28-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Certainly expecting people to "just get over it" is not appropriate.

I don't think it is reasonable to somehow suggest that only the "targeted" people can have a meaningful opinion here, for one thing, it might be hard to separate out who is being truly targeted and who is not. More importantly we all have a say about how we think people with different opinions, no matter what they are, are to be treated.

The riot at Berkeley is a bad place to be concerning reactions to opinions. We all have the right to express opinions, we all have the right disprove of opinions. If we can't do it civilly we are going to be in a really big mess.
Well said.

We have a right to our opinions not a right to facts. Too may opinions are being treated as thought crimes and too many opinions are being treated as fact because they are seen to be on the right side of history and morality. Simply being offended is non-sense and childish behaviour. A civil debate that exchanges ideas in the open changes minds, not shouting down the enemy and vilifying them simply because they don't see the world the way your in-group does do.