Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2023, 05:48 AM

I posted some info on the original post but the growth of debt from 600 to 5 billion over 20 months is new.

Reported in FT today. This is a massive default in Austria.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:06 AM

I read about Wiggle-CRC last week, but now can't remember where, basically the same thing. Stopping international sales/shipments and going UK-only. Even though I don't recall the website, I do know it is a reputable site where I get info on other happenings in world-wide business, not just the bike industry.

It's too bad because I really, really liked their DHB bib shorts. Thankfully I have a few pairs still in the bag that I can use as replacement for several years. Also, purchased several of their Lifeline tires for road & SS/fixie bikes. Good quality at a nice price.

The wife and I watched the Mr. Selfridge series on PBS Masterpiece, and really enjoyed it. Afterwards I did a little research on the real-life guy. Interesting reading. I had forgotten they were a part of the big corporate conglomerate.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I'm all in on Bike Inn now.
Interesting to hear.....have been considering buying a few parts from Bike Inn but haven't purchased from them before. Your experience has been good?
Old 12-05-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Interesting to hear.....have been considering buying a few parts from Bike Inn but haven't purchased from them before. Your experience has been good?
I've ordered from them a few times - had to cancel one of the orders when I realized the item was first "shipping from their warehouse". After 1.5 weeks I gave up. The other stuff they had in stock and shipping was a bit longer than a week.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Always good info from Sir Douglas the Erect.
Yep. My inside source (Frederick the Flacid) confirms Sir Douglas' post.
Old 12-05-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I've ordered from them a few times - had to cancel one of the orders when I realized the item was first "shipping from their warehouse". After 1.5 weeks I gave up. The other stuff they had in stock and shipping was a bit longer than a week.
Great to know....they have some Deda Vinci stuff in stock that is super hard to find in the sizes I need. Will give them a shot.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I don't get it. They're an internet retailer, right? They already were set up to ship overseas and take those orders. Why would they opt to just shut off selling outside the UK, in order to "focus on the UK domestic market"? Sales were down overseas, so the solution is to not sell overseas?
They had staff to communicate in something like 60 languages, presumably working around the clock. That would be a much harder task than simply working with UK customers.

International shipping is a nightmare. Delays, lost packages, returns, Customs etc all add to the ball ache so, again, focusing on the UK probably makes sense.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
It has been 100% good. But, pay for the upgraded DHL shipping and don't be in a hurry.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
It has been 100% good. But, pay for the upgraded DHL shipping and don't be in a hurry.
Agreed. Bike Inn has good prices but shipping to the US takes a while. I've had to wait 3 weeks or so for an order from them. That's with their cheapest shipping options. I have no experience with any expedited shipping from them.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:14 PM

I have ordered a few items now from bikeinn without issue and you get the option of snail mail or DHL expedited and have received items in the expected timelines with either method. I will continue to use Merlin as long as they are shipping outside the UK as I have always had good service through them.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
I I am sure that CRC will follow suit soon as well.
Yup done deal & sad to see both go
My wife liked the DHB stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRC.jpg (56.5 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg wigg.jpg (51.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 12-14-2023, 07:24 AM
Administrator

This is a massive bummer IMO.

When I first got really into cycling, I would have absolutely not been able to afford to ride Campag or good tires without the UK shops making the price of entry attainable. Those shops almost certainly shaped my buying habits and preferences. Too bad to see them all go.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:24 AM

Rene Benko and his Signa Group Bankruptcy is a gift that keeps giving. KaDeWe, the 116 year old Berlin Department Store filed for insolvency. And it looks like Globus, the Swiss retailer will also file. Two more businesses as collateral Damage from Signa.

After a recent trip to Selfridges in London, I'd say they are just scraping buy. Another Rene Benko special.

And if you are wondering about the small bank sell off this week, Rene Benko is also a catalyst as Julius Baer has written down the loans to Signa.

Chain Reaction and Wiggle were just collateral damage from a SPAC and a real estate developer piling on debt.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Chain Reaction and Wiggle were just collateral damage from a SPAC and a real estate developer piling on debt.
Sadly, this isn't terribly unusual. I'd like to see a regulator do something about this practice, but the terms and enforcement would likely be quite tricky.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:27 PM

Headline, "The company has 'finally hit rock bottom' – WiggleCRC axes almost every member of staff"