Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM

You can build whatever tower of Babel you want when you have more money than most countries.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I post a simple tube of an incredible piece of architecture and the forum finds a way to grind it into the ground. I was not seeking kudos, but was probably not expecting it to turn to sh*t so fast. Welcome to the USA. Microcosm?
Welcome to the new normal. That's why I'm not there.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 PM

I was in your Baja normal last week

that's a kindlier normal than the US normal. But we are on the road to screwing that up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
Welcome to the new normal. That's why I'm not there.

Last edited by eddief; 02-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
I post a simple tube of an incredible piece of architecture and the forum finds a way to grind it into the ground. I was not seeking kudos, but was probably not expecting it to turn to sh*t so fast. Welcome to the USA. Microcosm?
If my tongue in cheek comment initiated the decline, I owe you an apology. It is indeed an interesting and ambitious architecture project. It took a lot to get it approved, and a long time to build it. I do think, despite my comment, that the ambitiousness of the structure sends a message about the company valuing creativity and emphasis on beautiful design. This is the kind of building that does a lot for outside signaling and inside signaling and culture. So I do think it is much more than just a more modern building.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The house that Steve built, and Tim destroyed.
Apparently you have not seen AAPL stock recently.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 PM

There was nothing "tongue in cheek" about comment.

Nothing.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 PM

This thread is awful.

Last edited by cadence90; 02-23-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
There was nothing "tongue in cheek" about comment.

Nothing.
Care to share a product that you'd consider a creative success that was launched under Cook's stewardship? He has been a great steward of shareholder value, but not so sure he's been a great steward of the "insanely great" products of the past. I see minor incremental improvements being sold as a big deal. That is the "that tim destroyed." part of my original comment. It is tongue in cheek because he was also integral to making apple into the company it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
Apparently you have not seen AAPL stock recently.
First off, I was not talking about stock price, which has been up significantly under Cook. I was however talking about the perceived lack of creativity out of the company in the time that Cook has been at the helm. And yes, I can both respect financial returns as an investor and see a company that has lost its mojo. But if you want to look at stock performance...

From an August 2016 article, not my words.
Quote:
On August 24, 2011, Apple shares closed at around $54 per share, adjusted for the stock split and dividends. Yesterday, the shares closed at $108.85 per share. At first look, one would think that was an outstanding performance considering shares have slightly more than doubled. However, the Nasdaq was trading at 2468, the day Tim Cook took over as CEO of Apple. The technology heavy index closed last night at 5260. So in the five years that Cook has been CEO of the company, the Nasdaq is up around 113% and Apple has returned 102%. I am not even starting to compare Apple's returns in the five-year period since Tim Cook took over as CEO with the companies run by Jeff Bezos, Reed Hastings, Mark Zuckerberg and the rest of mega capitalization tech land names, which make Apple's returns look pretty pathetic.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:36 PM
v a n i l l a

Tim Cook rides a C60 with EPS and Boras as sold by my LBS.

What those of you not from around here don't realize is how few large companies are lucky enough to have an actual campus where most local employees are co-located.

I used to work near the center of what is now the spaceship a long time ago.
It was a myriad of the vanguards of the time - DEC, HP, Tandem. Names that no one under 30 has probably heard of.

Walk across the street from the spaceship and now you are in a neighborhood. a suburban track neighborhood. Nowhere else in the valley is such a dominant company next to a regular neighborhood.

Facebook, Linked-in and Google are on baylands. Oracle, sort of near housing. Cisco spread everywhere. Whats left of Yahoo is in an industrial park.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:25 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Typical stupid comment from some one who knows little.
Other than your comment being rude, ad hominem and out of line, it is completely vacuous.

You think you know enough to take a wild, roundhouse punch like that, I think you'd better back it up with something that makes you sound smart instead of puerile.

Quote:
I disagree. What's sometimes missing here in some responses is the ability to roll with the flow of conversation, through all its tangents, differences of opinion and non sequiturs. This isn't a mathematical equation, it is a conversation.

I'll give you kudos for bringing up an interesting work of architecture intrinsic to a fascinating icon of behemoth capitalism going through various phases of its continual reinvention; as all tech companies must do to varying degrees.

I think it is a mistake to continually expect Apple to define itself as a creator of technology that became a pivot point for an entire world, as the invention of the iPhone did. Can't bet the company on those types of generational upheaval. But Apple does what they do very well and in their own unique outlook and design, and that isn't a bad thing. As such, looking for the next global technology epiphany from Apple is too limiting a corporate ideal to pursue and one that cannot be targeted and strategized for anyway.

Warren Buffet views AAPL as a value investment and not as a growth investment. For now, maybe that's OK.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Quote:
you did nothing more than post a video. no insight or comment other than "how'd they make that?"

if that's your contribution to start a thread, don't get miffed by the path those who follow decide to take.

if you wanted to focus on "an incredible piece of architecture" then you should have led off with that.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
People git excited about their Apple (Computer).

Old 02-22-2017, 09:43 PM

Wow..... maybe some people round here need to go for a ride. Sheesh....
Old 02-22-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

I disagree. What's sometimes missing here in some responses is the ability to roll with the flow of conversation, through all its tangents, differences of opinion and non sequiturs. This isn't a mathematical equation, it is a conversation.
this! not just for this thread, but for any online forum conversation where people tend to talk at one another rather than with.
this is an online forum with no limit to the types of members. one could say its diverse. because your brain thinks the thread should proceed in one way does not have any effect on the responses of everyone else. yeah, we all are speaking the same language, but we have different meaning associated to different words/phrases/concepts despite the familiarity. carry on
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM

good point

my mistake was in taking for granted that most here would share that opinion. should know better by now. and i am sure the response would have been the same whether i stated my opinion or not. insanity is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
you did nothing more than post a video. no insight or comment other than "how'd they make that?"

if that's your contribution to start a thread, don't get miffed by the path those who follow decide to take.

if you wanted to focus on "an incredible piece of architecture" then you should have led off with that.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, tower of babel