Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
next gen nissan leaf is supposed to get 150 miles per charge...will that end range anxiety or just set the bar higher ?
Coupled with any range is knowing there is some way to charge the thing when ya get there. That isn't any sort of given yet.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM

Lightbulb

My wife thinks we should put a deposit on a Model 3. I'm torn, if it's refundable there's really no downside. However, there are so many deposits now that the tax credits will undoubtedly be gone before everybody gets one and there's no telling when the car will actually be available…

A Tesla or any other electric could not be our only car, my wife frequently drives fairly long trips. MOTOH, 200 miles would last me a week or two most of the time and I don't usually drive further than 200 miles at a crack.

I am pretty curiousabout/interested in the Chevy Bolt as well. My wife doesn't like it at all. Close minded, doesn't care about the details or any logical arguments. The plus of the Bolt (Imthink) is that there will be federal tax credits available on it for quite a while, so for many people it will be cheaper than a Tesla model three.

Doug
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM

I think that by the time the model 3 actually gets to market and tesla overcomes all the hurdles to make it happen the market will shift or a bigger player will steal the moment

Its a technology company not a car company. Marketing only gets you so far

Think cannondale and dirt bikes
Old 04-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Everything is connected

This is an excerpt from an October 2015 Consumer Guide review of the Tesla Model S, with a link to the complete review below. Note that this was posted months before the current deposit offering.

"The real problem may be down the road, when Tesla migrates its technology from the $127,000 P85D down to the $35,000 Model 3, which it says will be launched in about two years. And there is also the concern about the cost to consumers once their Model S warranties expire.

It’s one thing to have a quirky, problematic car that sells 20,000 units per year to wealthy people who probably own at least one backup vehicle. It’s quite another when Tesla scales up to its 2020 projection of 200,000 U.S. Model 3 buyers, who may not have the luxury of being so forgiving."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...gh-performance

I haven't read the fine print regarding the refundable deposit, but what happens if Tesla files for protection?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

$1 billion in funding. Partner with Renault. Charging stations next to off ramps and gas stations. Hundreds of public electrical outlets...robots were installed at dozens of service stations that could extract the used battery from underneath the car and replace it with a fresh one in about five minutes. The idea was to put an end to so-called range anxiety, which has long been offered as an explanation for why electric cars have failed to catch on with consumers. With the Better Place network, a driver could easily navigate from, say, Tel Aviv to the resort town of Eilat, a little over 200 miles away, with only 15 minutes or so in stops.

1,500 cars sold.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3028159/a...e-better-place

Last edited by 93legendti; 04-03-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
$1 billion in funding. Partner with Renault. Charging stations next to off ramps and gas stations. Hundreds of public electrical outlets...robots were installed at dozens of service stations that could extract the used battery from underneath the car and replace it with a fresh one in about five minutes. The idea was to put an end to so-called range anxiety, which has long been offered as an explanation for why electric cars have failed to catch on with consumers. With the Better Place network, a driver could easily navigate from, say, Tel Aviv to the resort town of Eilat, a little over 200 miles away, with only 15 minutes or so in stops.

1,500 cars sold.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3028159/a...e-better-place
Our big Volvo Hybrid is 2.5 hours to total recharge with 240, 7 hours with a regular 110 outlet. I need at least 250 miles in range but aside that as a road car the batteries(there are lots of cells) need to charge a lot faster, especially with no small gas engine (all electric).

Tags
conspicuous consumption