Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2023, 01:44 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I usually go back in a remove the photos only because I don’t use a hosting site and I thought it saved space or bandwidth. Am I wrong to do that?
Not wrong at all, I use a hosting site and remove links after removing the pictures from the site, partly to preserve limited storage space but also to conserve bandwidth.

Personally, I prefer to preserve asking price information but consider final selling price private to the seller, their choice whether or not to share. Though I understand Clean's point about PL bro deals not being a good source for market insight on pricing.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Not wrong at all, I use a hosting site and remove links after removing the pictures from the site, partly to preserve limited storage space but also to conserve bandwidth.

Personally, I prefer to preserve asking price information but consider final selling price private to the seller, their choice whether or not to share. Though I understand Clean's point about PL bro deals not being a good source for market insight on pricing.
I've never seen anyone post what the item sold for. That's not necessary. It does help others with getting an idea of what is a realistic price for things if the asking price stays in the ad after the sale. If 4 people sell an item over time and $85 moves it but the one selling for $100 goes through multiple bumps without selling, that's good for everyone to know.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:59 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I've never seen anyone post what the item sold for. That's not necessary. It does help others with getting an idea of what is a realistic price for things if the asking price stays in the ad after the sale. If 4 people sell an item over time and $85 moves it but the one selling for $100 goes through multiple bumps without selling, that's good for everyone to know.
I generally agree though sometimes one can infer that the seller got his asking price; I was responding to @kppolich's post above.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:34 PM

The classifieds here on Paceline were not meant to be an enterprising flea market enterprise. When someone sells an item, the posting should be deleted. Or at least the original poster should have the option to leave, or delete the post.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I often delete prices out of kindness to others who may not want to sell things as cheaply as I do. These aren't liquid markets. A previous price is irrelevant to any current price - all that matters is what's available in the market at the time any individual good is offered for sale and what the buyer's BATNA is.

And I don't care if someone flips what I sell cheap, intentionally or because they forgot what they paid -- that is, unless they chisel me down on price or waste a bunch of my time, end up getting an even greater deal because I just don't care to quibble over $5-10, and THEN turn around and flip it.. that's not in the spirit of the forum. Even then though, I don't call folks out on it. Life is short. Once something's left my garage, it's not mine. I can't count the number of times I've sold something cheap that I didn't need at the time, only to turn around and spend 2X as much when I need it down the road. So it goes. I'm owed nothing.

Also, don't assume that anyone passing on deals is a vendor based on their volume. Vendors make money on their transactions, or they quickly go out of business. Obsessed enthusiasts lose money on every transaction, and are okay with that because it isn't about the money - it's about the experience and the hobby. It should be pretty clear who's who based on their pricing. If you don't like it, go elsewhere. Willing buyer, willing seller markets take two to tango and you're under no obligation to express interest in my castaways and cutouts.
Good post, Dan.

And I'm a big supporter of advanced editing the title to SOLD vs all the other gyrations that move things back up in the queue or don't easily indicate something is no longer available. There's a lot of posts moving available items off p1 awfully quickly. At the same time, I will bump others' postings for good sellers with great stuff at good prices as a srevice to the forum.

And mea culpa, I have forgotten about stuff I sold every once in a while; I should search my items and clean them up....

Last edited by teleguy57; 07-13-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
And mea culpa, I have forgotten about stuff I sold every once in a while; I should search my items and clean them up....
I figured Charles was calling me out with that one, so I took my medicine and went back through the last four pages of my listings to clean stuff up.. if anyone wants to necromance a listing older than that, it's on them
Old 07-13-2023, 05:17 PM

Please don't just change the title to "SOLD." As that word to the title.
Old 07-13-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Please don't just change the title to "SOLD." As that word to the title.
Agree, that is what I do, just didn't say it clearly.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:19 PM

I just put a "sold" post in a thread and leave it at that

If I'm selling treasures here, they are priced to sell and I could care less what the new owner does with the item. I'm really not concerned with enabling the OCD of some of you when it comes to the process. Particularly if your sheckles did not come my way. It's a freebie thing to use the classifieds here, not high finance

For the record, I miss the alert posts of funky items that some posters used to share in the Classifieds. I say, bring em back
Old 07-13-2023, 09:10 PM

And here I thought the most frustrating part of our classifieds is when someone doesn’t state a size in the title.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I will also add a request when an item is sold to leave the price in the body of the ad. It helps those trying to sell similar items down the road.
I'm in agreement with this and the OP's request.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I just put a "sold" post in a thread and leave it at that

If I'm selling treasures here, they are priced to sell and I could care less what the new owner does with the item. I'm really not concerned with enabling the OCD of some of you when it comes to the process. Particularly if your sheckles did not come my way. It's a freebie thing to use the classifieds here, not high finance

For the record, I miss the alert posts of funky items that some posters used to share in the Classifieds. I say, bring em back
Better than nothing but it takes little time to edit the title. It wastes people's time to look through listings and find sold at the end.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:46 AM

You're getting a free service, don't get so entitled about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Better than nothing but it takes little time to edit the title. It wastes people's time to look through listings and find sold at the end.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Though if someone is doing closet cleanouts and sells stuff to basically just cover shipping cost, is this good or bad to publicize final sale price?

On another note, is it best practice to edit subjects on WTB listings with "FOUND" added, and/or what they had to pay?
Old 07-14-2023, 11:52 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
You're getting a free service, don't get so entitled about it
"so entitled"? Jeez, chill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
On another note, is it best practice to edit subjects on WTB listings with "FOUND" added, and/or what they had to pay?
Yes to editing the title, but adding sale price is, like staying over, optional.

Tags
tarcklaffs, tarcksale classies troll