Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM

Advice re: running M952 cranks on a CX bike?

I'm putting together an older Steelman cross bike right now, and I need some advice as far as how to dial in the crankset.

I just picked up a set of M952 cranks for it - I'm hoping to replace the spider with a 4x104 BCD so that I have more gearing options. Ideally I'd like to run something like a 36/48 combo on these cranks.

I found this bike which shows a similar setup, but I'm not sure which length BB it runs or if it's designed around a 135mm hub or mountain chainline:

http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searc....aspx?id=45264

If anyone has run this setup in the past with success your advice is much appreciated!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:42 AM

Your Steelman is most likely a 130mm rear OLD and set up for road cranks. And the shortest BB for the M952 cranks is 109.5mm. It will be close enough for decent chainline and front shifting will be fine with a XTR FD. The 5x110bcd spider is probably easier to find.

In 1998 the Ibis Hakkalugi was shown in their catalog set up with this crank. But the Hakkalugi was 135mm rear and can clear 50mm tires easily.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
Your Steelman is most likely a 130mm rear OLD and set up for road cranks. And the shortest BB for the M952 cranks is 109.5mm. It will be close enough for decent chainline and front shifting will be fine with a XTR FD. The 5x110bcd spider is probably easier to find.

In 1998 the Ibis Hakkalugi was shown in their catalog set up with this crank. But the Hakkalugi was 135mm rear and can clear 50mm tires easily.
Correct - 130mm rear end, and has road cranks on it. I'll give the 109.5mm BB a shot and see what happens. Thanks very much for the help.

BTW - if anyone sees this and has an XTR spider available for 'regular rings' (including the square taper XT removable spider) let me know!