Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
"Hey sorry I can't build your bike. I'm dying. Here's your parts back and good luck with another builder."

Took me 5 seconds to type that. This guy has had two years of being jerked around.
Lady
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 PM

Man, I feel for you. I paid fully for a frame about, oh, 10 years ago from a certain FB'r and have yet to see it. It's money gone and I'm never getting it back. Lots of effort and cajoling...nada. It really sucks.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Holy crap

As most others have mentioned, I too would out this person by now.

I'd also be very curious to know experiences of other customers that this builder has had in the period preceding your approach date, and since. Only way to do that is by getting the conversation going, and hence outing them, perhaps a year back.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Other than some satisfaction for the OP (and the rabble that loves a pissing contest) what does outing the builder really achieve? If it motivates him to fix everything, then I'd say by all means do it, but if it just makes things worse, then why bother?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:30 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Other than some satisfaction for the OP (and the rabble that loves a pissing contest) what does outing the builder really achieve? If it motivates him to fix everything, then I'd say by all means do it, but if it just makes things worse, then why bother?
Might achieve nothing for the OP, but I sure would be motivated to know others' experiences, and from there would be very eager to force the said builder's business to become more customer friendly. Public naming/shaming can work wonders in this regard.

Does the customer/builder sign on some sort of document that outlines this agreement, at all, or are these transactions all purely based out of good faith?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think sofie will get any satisfaction out of "shaming" the builder. I'm also not sure it can get worse. At this point she is out parts and her deposit. At the very least, it's a warning to others. At most, she gets her parts/money back.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Instead of considering it "outing", how about looking at it as pursuing some assistance from the Paceline community. I'm sure someone local to the builder would be willing to drop in and assess the lay of the land.
I think this is a good idea for a next step. Maybe some discrete inquiries either here or ATH to check with the mods on each forum to see who they think would be a good contact with Builder X.

Re-establishing communication would be a start. If none of that works out, then more forceful methods might be the only options left.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 PM

in before the lock

aka

how many cats are currently scouring the internet looking for builders who make "precious" bikes and have had health issues in the last two years

aka

there are two sides to every story

aka

hope it all works out
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 PM

Out. Help framebuilder come to Jesus and achieve salvation.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2016, 11:51 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
how many cats are currently scouring the internet looking for builders who make "precious" bikes
So now it's the victim's fault for wanting one of those bikes? Wow.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM

even if builder had a real health issue or something preventing him from responding further, outing him or her would help advise others pursuing a business relationship with builder. not getting your deposit back is standard in this situation but the parts you own and supplied should have been sent back and they weren't. absolutely unacceptable

do you know any cyclists back in your old home town who could stop by and see what's going on. ask for your parts face to face if he hasn't sold them off already. then they can send them to you in the mail

Last edited by cinema; 02-09-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
So now it's the victim's fault for wanting one of those bikes? Wow.
i meant there are some hints (maybe not so subtle or tactful) as to the cat's identity. he's had health problems and he builds niche bikas.

the op won't need to out him. a few zealous forumites may start throwing out names. and that's when things get kooky.

Last edited by beeatnik; 02-09-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
i meant there are some hints (maybe not so subtle or tactful) as to the cat's identity. he's had health problems and he builds niche bikas.

the op won't need to out him. a few zealous forumites may start throwing out names. and that's when things get kooky.
Gotcha. I thought "precious" was being used as a pejorative and read that as criticism of the OP. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 AM

Thanks for all of the responses so far, guys.

I would get absolutely no personal satisfaction from making life more difficult for anyone, including the builder, which is why it's taken me so long to take more drastic measures, I guess.

It's reassuring to hear so many thoughts expressed that jive with (or exceed) my own frustrations. I like to keep things in writing when it comes to complicated transactions, but I will attempt to get him on the phone before taking things further. To those of you who say I'm very patient, I am, but I am also doing my best to keep everything I write about this online factual and to the point.

And, please let's not start speculating about the builder's identity, I wouldn't want anyone else's reputation to suffer.

And as far as I know he will not be at NAHBS, and neither will I.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:30 AM

OP--you are very restrained and kind to the builder. Hope the good karma pays off for you.

Seems overly taboo to make any negative comments about builders here. I understand some restraint, but it's excessive. Why should a builder be shielded far more than say a SRAM or ZIPP if they didn't deliver or come through on a warranty? The bikes people buy on here are expensive and buyers know what they are getting into and in turn this lets the cream of the crop builders really shine (and in turn demand higher prices etc).
Closed Thread