Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 06:21 PM
cnighbor2

Modern 9 or 10 speed Campagnolo alloy Groupset

what is a source beyond eBay to purchase a New Modern 9 or 10 speed Campagnolo alloy Groupset Chorus preferred
Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 06:26 PM

Here... and of course across the hall, and also the CL search websites.

Post a WTB in the 'Classies... if this hasn't already served that purpose...
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM

You may be hard pressed to find a new complete 10 speed allay group from one source. Velomine usually has some derailleurs and other bits. NOS brakes and hubs will be hard to find. How about Athena 11 alloy? Best deal in the recent lineup.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 PM

Current Veloce ?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
what is a source beyond eBay to purchase a New Modern 9 or 10 speed Campagnolo alloy Groupset Chorus preferred
Thanks
9s last made in 1999/2000....Chorus 10s last made in 2006, but wasn't 'alloy'. Last Chorus alloy 2001..15 years ago..Centaur alloy 2002/3..13 years ago.

So ebay in the US or Europe, maybe Japan..
Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 AM
なんでやねん

Modern 9 or 10 speed Campagnolo alloy Groupset

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post

Have to agree that new Veloce is actually really nice. And great value.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:04 AM

I'm currently undertaking this project. I've done pretty well so far on the 10 speed front. I've picked up a like new Centaur RD off the bay for about $40, and a NOS Record FD WITH 28.6 clamp for $35. Snagged a silver centaur CT UT crankset that's pretty minty off the bay, and picked up some Centaur shifters here that should be coming shortly. Went with some silver VO brakes for reach (also picked up here). Also picked up a centaur alloy seatpost and some 32h daytona hubs that are used, but in good shiny shape, both off the bay.

All in, spent about $450 excluding the seatpost and hubs, and about $600 including them and it should look pretty clean when done. Just need some rims and some silver cockpit items, and I'm home.

Edit to note - for the items I get off the bay, I just set up saved searches and search twice a day (AM and PM) sorted by newest items first. Only a couple pieces pop up per day, so not hard to stay on top of it, only takes a few minutes. Once something I want comes up, I set up the sniping software and try to ignore it for 6 days. Working well so far.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by druptight View Post
I'm currently undertaking this project. I've done pretty well so far on the 10 speed front. I've picked up a like new Centaur RD off the bay for about $40, and a NOS Record FD WITH 28.6 clamp for $35. Snagged a silver centaur CT UT crankset that's pretty minty off the bay, and picked up some Centaur shifters here that should be coming shortly. Went with some silver VO brakes for reach (also picked up here). Also picked up a centaur alloy seatpost and some 32h daytona hubs that are used, but in good shiny shape, both off the bay.

All in, spent about $450 excluding the seatpost and hubs, and about $600 including them and it should look pretty clean when done. Just need some rims and some silver cockpit items, and I'm home.

Edit to note - for the items I get off the bay, I just set up saved searches and search twice a day (AM and PM) sorted by newest items first. Only a couple pieces pop up per day, so not hard to stay on top of it, only takes a few minutes. Once something I want comes up, I set up the sniping software and try to ignore it for 6 days. Working well so far.
Send the hubs to me and I'll build with some H+Son TB-14 in polished silver..
Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Send the hubs to me and I'll build with some H+Son TB-14 in polished silver..
I've been considering having someone build vs. building myself. I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Total Fred

I have a pristine 9s Chorus currently in the classifieds. Feel free to make me an offer. I had a higher price posted on it, but am more motivated to sell it after recent splurges.

I also have a like new 10s Chorus alloy group with wheels. That is waiting for some fun restoration project in the distant future.

Tai
Old 02-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Charles, I'm assuming by "alloy" you mean polished. Even though Chorus and Record 9 Ergos and derailleurs were still in the Campagnolo catalog as late as 2006, that's still 10 years of hoarders scooping up the last bits. Once it became clear that Campagnolo was no longer going to produce a polished high end group, demand increased for the polished Chorus and Record 9/10.

You would have an easier time locating a NOS group if you were willing to go with something below Chorus. I could probably put together a complete working group of NOS parts from my stash, but it would consist of various groups (meaning Daytona, Veloce, Centaur) and model years. If you really want NOS Chorus I'd suggest choosing a year and picking up the parts one by one as they become available. NOS does still turn up occasionally. My last piece of Chorus was a long cage RD that I traded for a pair of Protons. I still regret that but I couldn't bring myself to use it anyway.

Pic from 2006 catalog of the 9 speed page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 Campagnolo 9 speed cr.jpg (45.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 AM

Tough call, Ebay is really your best bet. I have managed 2 different 10 speed record/chorus mixed groups each for under 500. Just gotta pick and choose, be patient, and look for the deals.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:10 PM

I assume you're talking used at $500.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I assume you're talking used at $500.
A mix of lightly used and NOS. got new cassette, crank, chain and rear mech. Brakes, BB, brifters and FD were lightly used.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Yes, big difference in price for NOS. Only 1 pair of NOS polished Chorus Ergos on ebay, at $700 from a notoriously high priced reseller. I don't find any in the recently sold archives. Closest thing I see is a pair of Daytona 10s for $200 shipped, which is a great price at this point in time. I think they were about $140 at retail when current.