Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 PM

Local kid got doored and the driver is trying to screw him...

Nice, eh?

A kid we know (in school with our kids) was riding home in the combo bike/parking lane* and he got doored. He got away with minor scrapes but his bike is wrecked and the door got creamed. I hear it just about came off the hinges and it's totally inoperable.

The cops came & took a report. I think he has a witness, too.

They're trying to get him to pay for the door.

Got any advice I can pass along to him?
Anyone know the Kalifonia vehicle code as it pertains to this?

*The combo lane is a wide, delineated lane on each side of the road. Maybe 10 feet wide. Though it's clearly marked "bike lane" cars get to park against the curb and the remaining space is for bikes. Great idea...

Last edited by Dr Luxurious; 02-08-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:01 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Nice, eh?

A kid we know (in school with our kids) was riding home in the combo bike/parking lane* and he got doored. He got away with minor scrapes but his bike is wrecked and the door got creamed. I hear it just about came off the hinges and it's totally inoperable.

*The combo lane is a wide, delineated lane on each side of the road. Maybe 10 feet wide. Though it's clearly marked "bike lane" cars get to park against the curb and the remaining space is for bikes. Great idea...
Isn't it up to the parked vehicle to assess the safety in opening the door or pulling out?

I once pulled away from the curb and immediately got hit by an oncoming car. My [stupid] fault. Of course it's now fodder as a lesson for my 16yo driver.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Link to Cali Veh code.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=22517.

Vehicle Code - VEH
DIVISION 11. RULES OF THE ROAD [21000 - 23336] ( Division 11 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 9. Stopping, Standing, and Parking [22500 - 22526] ( Chapter 9 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

No person shall open the door of a vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless it is reasonably safe to do so and can be done without interfering with the movement of such traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.
(Amended by Stats. 1963, Ch. 162.)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:09 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Get a notarized statement from the witness and demand that the police cite the driver.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12 PM

Timing makes all the difference. If the door was standing open and the kid hit it, then yes go after the kid for the cost. If the door was flung open onto him, no.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle-...ect-22517.html
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Vendor

SF Bike Coalition has a crash checklist and listing of bike friendly lawyers.

http://www.sfbike.org/resources/
Old 02-08-2016, 11:16 PM

pretty sure the person that opened the car door is at fault, they need to check that traffic is clear before "fouling" the lane. Have the kids parents talk to their auto insurance agent. The kid could claim that he was "assaulted" by the driver with a deadly weapon (door), get doctors report and estimates to replace bike, etc. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2016, 04:08 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

In MA it doesn't matter how long the door is open, if it gets hit it is the parked car operators fault.

I know this because a young lady came along and hit the door of my parked car as I was standing outside the car after climbing out. She came from several blocks away and misjudged the distance, just catching the edge of the door. Scared the s++t out of me but according to the police officer who responded (and a subsequent call to a lawyer) still my fault.

As said before, check with an attorney but the law sounds similar.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 AM
It An't Me Babe

The sorry, sad state of the average person's fitness or situational awareness both conspire to work against keeping a bicyclist safe from being doored. There is a warning notice inside of many NYC taxicabs warning passengers to look for bicyclists/traffic before exiting. It's better than nothing but people aren't attuned to reading the inside of car doors so they're gonna do what they do anyway.

The rushed, harried city taxi passenger doesn't check but you can spot movement inside the cab so a rider might still get tipped off about a door opening. It is a game of milliseconds.

I hate to say it but fat people inside of taxis rarely give any indication because when they get outta a cab they fling the door wide open. Boom! They gotta get that door fully wide open so that they can extricate themselves from outta the pit that is was their cocoon in the back seat of the car. They lack any core strength to balance themselves in getting out of a cab; there is sheer dead weight to hoist themselves out - using both hands and ankles hooked to the wide open door opening. This splendid humanity doesn't disembark from a vehicle, they pour themselves outta a vehicle like 9 yards of lard poured out of a cement truck. A sight to behold and seen in the streets and avenues of NYC far more often than supermodels getting out of taxis in front of Bloomingdales.

America - land of the big and the home of the brayed.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Nice, eh?

Get a Lawyer...It's no different than the kid riding along and the car pulled ut and hit him. The kid had the right of way.

Get a Lawyer..Above cites the law..the kid wasn't wrong, get a lawyer.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
the sorry, sad state of the average person's fitness or situational awareness both conspire to work against keeping a bicyclist safe from being doored. There is a warning notice inside of many nyc taxicabs warning passengers to look for bicyclists/traffic before exiting. It's better than nothing but people aren't attuned to reading the inside of car doors so they're gonna do what they do anyway.

The rushed, harried city taxi passenger doesn't check but you can spot movement inside the cab so a rider might still get tipped off about a door opening. It is a game of milliseconds.

I hate to say it but fat people inside of taxis rarely give any indication because when they get outta a cab they fling the door wide open. Boom! They gotta get that door fully wide open so that they can extricate themselves from outta the pit that is was their cocoon in the back seat of the car. They lack any core strength to balance themselves in getting out of a cab; there is sheer dead weight to hoist themselves out - using both hands and ankles hooked to the wide open door opening. This splendid humanity doesn't disembark from a vehicle, they pour themselves outta a vehicle like 9 yards of lard poured out of a cement truck. A sight to behold and seen in the streets and avenues of nyc far more often than supermodels getting out of taxis in front of bloomingdales.

America - land of the big and the home of the brayed.
poty.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Administrator

This is what car drivers carry insurance for - accidents. it's simply malicious for them to go after the kid in such an accident.

unfortunately oldP is likely right. even though the kid is probably 100% in the right, probably need a lawyer familiar with the applicable laws and processes to straighten it all out. more incurred cost.

at least he wasnt hurt badly, the rest can be sorted.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:43 AM

I can't imagine a judge not siding with the kid in this case. Dooring is like getting hit from behind, it's always the persons fault who hits you from behind. I got hit by a guy who pulled out of a parallel parking spot on my bike. The idiot cop gave me a ticket and the insurance companies were after me. My bike went flying through the air and hit another car. They came after me, I ignored it till it went to court where the judge dismissed it and then never came back.

They are probably just threatening him in hopes for something.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I hate to say it but fat people inside of taxis rarely give any indication because when they get outta a cab they fling the door wide open. Boom! They gotta get that door fully wide open so that they can extricate themselves from outta the pit that is was their cocoon in the back seat of the car. They lack any core strength to balance themselves in getting out of a cab; there is sheer dead weight to hoist themselves out - using both hands and ankles hooked to the wide open door opening. This splendid humanity doesn't disembark from a vehicle, they pour themselves outta a vehicle like 9 yards of lard poured out of a cement truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincustom1 View Post
poty.
Yes - Can we please make this a sticky?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Last edited by thollandpe; 02-14-2016 at 04:22 PM.