Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 AM

This thread needs about fifty posts to catch up with the "superbowl thread."

I for one have never watched an entire football game. I aim to keep it that way. It might pass for entertainment if games were edited to take out the three or four hundred time-outs and commercials.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
So, does anyone here know who won?

Still don't even know who played
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
This thread needs about fifty posts to catch up with the "superbowl thread."
Maybe a Mod can combine the 2 threads
Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
It might pass for entertainment if games were edited to take out the three or four hundred time-outs and commercials.
Actually, the NFL expressly prohibits that because, in actuality, there is typically only about 6 to 7 minutes of action in any game. The other 53 minutes of ticking clock involves huddles, measuring the down, QB counts, etc.

Repeated instant replay hides this fact very well.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:44 AM

I definitely do not care about the super bowl, or watching sports in general.
I grew up playing sports but can't really get into watching em. It's a game. You're watching people play a game.
Also another thing I don't understand...sports video games!
You're playing a game where your character is playing an actual game!
Wouldn't you rather be the one playing the game!?
Sports were a pass time while I was growing up. It's just weird how something so casual and innocent growing up has such an influence/popularity. I even have friends who think it's so immasculine to not be into sports...although I am more physically active than that group of friends.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM
#bottlestorage

It helps in my house that my wife enjoys sports; baseball and football, so we will tune in during an evening game. During the day, I will more often listen to baseball or football on the radio while working in the garage or playing with the kids outside.I won't typically alter my plans for the day around sports, unless it is a Bears/Packers game or something special, and even though I couple it with a social event to hang with friends and test out UBER. Win/Win

Part of why I don't ride as much is because I don't like 4 hour blocks of time obligating my day, watching sports is part of that. I actually enjoy sports, but I don't have that much free time, I would rather play with the kids and do my own activities.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Some are, some aren't:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100008...91140029897890

It's getting better I guess.
Yours is an argument based on exception. Leave the linemen out of it and I'll argue these are the best athletes going. If you look at strength, speed, flexibility and ability to do the basic things thought of as athletic. Lift as a percentage of body weight, run, jump, what group is better??

Even the average modern lineman where weight to a point is a benefit is likely under 30% body fat more like 20%. Sure there are still some fat boys on the line but it's steadily becoming more muscle less fat.
Look at the D back and wide receivers, compared to 10-15 years ago, these guys are ripped like fitness models or body builders and can move like you can't imagine. The good backers are pushing 240-250 and run like sprinters and move like ballerinas

I'm fine with not liking them or not liking the game but to call the average NFL player not athletic just doesn't wash.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Yours is an argument based on exception. Leave the linemen out of it and I'll argue these are the best athletes going. If you look at strength, speed, flexibility and ability to do the basic things thought of as athletic. Lift as a percentage of body weight, run, jump, what group is better??
I don't think so. If you want to pick a football-like sport as the apex of athleticsim then I don't see why anyone would choose American football over rugby, Australian rules football, etc. Those guys have the same qualities of American football players but have to work for more than a few minutes per hour.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM
50 bpm

Anyone else here not remotely care about football?

Richmond paid $4.1 million start to finish for the 2015 Road Worlds, but much of that was to improve existing infrastructure and will have a lasting effect.

I'm not sure what financing a billion-dollar stadium does for a city, beyond 10 Sundays a year and the occasional monster truck event.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Richmond paid $4.1 million start to finish for the 2015 Road Worlds, but much of that was to improve existing infrastructure and will have a lasting effect.

I'm not sure what financing a billion-dollar stadium does for a city, beyond 10 Sundays a year and the occasional monster truck event.
And in many cities you have two big-ass single-use stadiums next to one another like we have here in Baltimore.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 PM

the other thing is that we may be the only country where fully a serviceable stadium is torn down in favor of something new. Old Trafford is built in 1910; Stamford Bridge in 1877; Bernabeu in 1947; Parc de Princes in 1897; and Camp Nou in 1957. All of these have undergone renovations, which does indeed cost money, but it's definitely not as wasteful as building something de novo...

for some reason we had to implode our old stadia, make room for new ones, and then we'll get clamoring for the leveling of the newish stadia barely 20 years in. FedEx field was built in the mid 1990's, and Dan Snyder already wants something new? SMH

Last edited by echappist; 02-09-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:50 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
the other thing is that we may be the only country where fully a serviceable stadium is torn down in favor of something new.
I don't think this is as symptomatic of a country, as much as it is a pre-condition for being awarded a major sporting event by some of the well known organising bodies like IOC, FIFA, etc. Isn't that also a factor (genuine question?)

Wondering aloud:
Shouldn't the concept be that a city's nomination will be considered based on its track record of existing infrastructure? Why do whole cities bow down to such flimsy sporting clouts for a one-time event? I've never been able to understand this, especially when there's not much money, on the face of it, seems to be had by the city. It just seems to me that the city is hosting a party, the proceeds of the party go to the organising body, and the setup/marketing/cleanup of the party is left to the city again.

I guess, I'm curious to know the economics of a city's coffers pre/while/post organising an event like this, in that is it a net-loss, or a net-profit?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
the other thing is that we may be the only country where fully a serviceable stadium is torn down in favor of something new.
We should follow the example of Rome

Old 02-09-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Leave the linemen out of it and I'll argue these are the best athletes going. If you look at strength, speed, flexibility and ability to do the basic things thought of as athletic. Lift as a percentage of body weight, run, jump, what group is better??
Decathletes, obviously.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 PM

Agree with 100% of what you are saying. My wife knows she is lucky that I don't spend one second watching ANY type of sports. Everyone assumes I watch cycling. Nope that's just as boring. Paris Roubaix and Flanders is the only exception. On the job site i got ···· for not knowing or caring about anything sports. Guess im not matcho enough. I find it really bizarre how people get so damm fanatical and emotional over something they have no control over. We have a group of friends from south aamerica, dude is practically crying the entire game. ··· it's just a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
I definitely do not care about the super bowl, or watching sports in general.
I grew up playing sports but can't really get into watching em. It's a game. You're watching people play a game.
Also another thing I don't understand...sports video games!
You're playing a game where your character is playing an actual game!
Wouldn't you rather be the one playing the game!?
Sports were a pass time while I was growing up. It's just weird how something so casual and innocent growing up has such an influence/popularity. I even have friends who think it's so immasculine to not be into sports...although I am more physically active than that group of friends.