Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2016, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Edwards View Post
How is tire clearance on the MXL? Is it true 23c is the limit?
Mine does 25s easily and probably 28s on narrow rims no problem either. 27c tubies easy. Mine is a 1990 MXLeader. These were fairly 'mass produced' and the exact placement of the rear brake bridge may 'vary' a bit. Depended on day of week and whether or not after lunch or not.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:22 AM

I will chime in with the others on the MXL...and yeah, Old Potato is right...I don't think I have ever found a bike that descends like like the MXL...it is just a wonderful ride. That said, the corsa extras that I have tried are terrific and should I ever add another to my stable (currently at 5) it would be that...
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM

Both of my MXLs will take a Pro Race or GP 25C. However, they're pretty tight and it's unlikely that I'd be able to get a bigger tire in on either one of them.

Keep in mind that these bikes were designed in an era when 19s and 21s were the norm...

Texbike
Old 01-27-2016, 08:41 AM

Terrific info. I can see it doesn't bother anyone to talk Merckx here
Everyone must love their Mxl's since I rarely see them for sale. Should have bought the blue team one in the classifieds. My size.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I haven't ridden an Arcobaleno but have had multiple MXLs, Corsa Extras, and an 01. They're all great bikes but yes, the MXL has that something extra (I personally feel that it's primarily in the fork). If you're going for a Merckx, may as well make it a MXL...

Texbike
I agree with this about the MXL fork. That seems to be the primary difference for me. I had an MXL and still have a Corsa Extra. I love them both, but recently sold the MXL because they were not so different to me that I could justify keeping them both. Because Corsa Extras are more readily available, maybe give one a shot and if you like, keep your eyes out for an MXL.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:51 AM

Tronny...if you are looking to find a MXL....I can only say this is a good place as lots of folks here ride them...stick around and surely one will come up at some point...not only that, but a great bunch of people here with tons of knowledge...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

I have heard some pals gripping about the mxl not able to take in "fatter" tires especially in the rear... Mine was made in 1992, kinda like old pal, I can easily fit a 27mm Pave in the back, no issue. For me, that's as "fat" as I wish to go on a road bike.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Weisan...whew...that one is gorgeous...never seen that dark green with yellow!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
I agree with this about the MXL fork. That seems to be the primary difference for me. I had an MXL and still have a Corsa Extra. I love them both, but recently sold the MXL because they were not so different to me that I could justify keeping them both. Because Corsa Extras are more readily available, maybe give one a shot and if you like, keep your eyes out for an MXL.
That's not a bad idea. I barely missed an 'Extra frame on eBay last week. It went for $350. I didn't know what I wanted at that point so i didn't try very hard to win. I've already got two options of groupsets set aside for this project too.
That doesn't mean I won't jump on a built bike with C Record or something if it pops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Weisan...whew...that one is gorgeous...never seen that dark green with yellow!
Truth! Sweet ride.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
That's not a bad idea. I barely missed an 'Extra frame on eBay last week. It went for $350. I didn't know what I wanted at that point so i didn't try very hard to win. I've already got two options of groupsets set aside for this project too.
That doesn't mean I won't jump on a built bike with C Record or something if it pops up.

Truth! Sweet ride.
What size do you need? I have a 60cm MXL in a box in my attic.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
What size do you need? I have a 60cm MXL in a box in my attic.
UGH. That would be sweet! I'm too little.
Need a 55-56.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
UGH. That would be sweet! I'm too little.
Need a 55-56.
Not to go too far down a goat path, but you're 6' and need a 55-56? I'm 5'10" (32" inseam) and usually ride a 55-57 depending on STA/HTAs. My Merckxs are in the 56 range (TT) and fit wonderfully. Another note to keep in mind is that stock MXLs tended to have slacker HTAs which would impact the TT length that you would typically consider. As an example, one of my MXLs has a 58 cm TT but rides like a 56.

Texbike
Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Not to go too far down a goat path, but you're 6' and need a 55-56? I'm 5'10" (32" inseam) and usually ride a 55-57 depending on STA/HTAs. My Merckxs are in the 56 range (TT) and fit wonderfully. Another note to keep in mind is that stock MXLs tended to have slacker HTAs which would impact the TT length that you would typically consider. As an example, one of my MXLs has a 58 cm TT but rides like a 56.

Texbike
I guess really I'm 5'11". Just depends who measures, haha.
I ride a few different sizes ('15 Felt F3 is a 56, '85 Bianchi Mondiale is a 59, '02 Bianchi Vigorelli is a 55).
Out of those, I feel the 59cm Bianchi is a touch big since I like a tighter feel and shorter head tube, but it's just such a sick frame. The 55cm has a very long stem, like 120-130mm, but I like the steering. Very racy. The Felt 56cm is about as perfect as I can get I think.
ETA, just was thinking about the angles you mentioned, my '02 Vigorelli has a very angled ST, even visually. That may contribute to my sizing on it.

Maybe I need to look at a geometry chart.
Maybe 56-57 E.M.?

Last edited by TronnyJenkins; 01-27-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM

Does any have a geometry chart for the MXL you could post here?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Apparently this one is old, but I may want to look at it later so I'm posting it.

ETA, not sure what this is, but the address says MXL.