Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 09:20 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Is Glen going to make a stock Elephant that is not a disk bike? Unfortunately for me his stock bikes are a bit small for me too...
No, not that I know of. Wonder how much he'd charge to weld on some bosses, or if that's an option at all on his stock nfe's.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
No, not that I know of. Wonder how much he'd charge to weld on some bosses, or if that's an option at all on his stock nfe's.
They are available on the custom bikes, but on the stock bike damage may be already done when the disk brake tabs are welded on...
Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
I definitely want disk brakes but also want some extra stuff done like light guide tags amongst other things. I am thinking of maybe going custom. Do you know when the next batch will get done? and if the list can still be joined?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 AM
n - 1

I see. Well, if I go custom, I'll be specing it with 26" rim brakes. Maybe even clearance for 2.75" tires. Hmm.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 AM
aka RAEKWON

The good thing is if you do 26" tires that big you can go 27.5 as well if you want.

I was also thinking about putting some couplers on it but not sure yet. I also am not a big fan of the forest green (its nice but I just don't like green as a color). I might do in some time early next year to have the bike for next summer.

Also Sean has posted a statement on rcog. Interesting and its great that he is clarifying stuff and even if true I just would not want to rely on not knowing what I am getting when I am getting it.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I definitely want disk brakes but also want some extra stuff done like light guide tags amongst other things. I am thinking of maybe going custom. Do you know when the next batch will get done? and if the list can still be joined?
They pretty emphatically stated at one point last Spring that they would not do any custom options on the stock.
I too am curious about where they are in the production schedule. Last time I checked they were into their second batch.

Last edited by marciero; 09-06-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:03 AM
n - 1

Quote:
They're starting the batch this month. 14 week completion time (est). Email them to get on the list. I'm towards the bottom so not sure if I'll get one or not.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 AM
n - 1

Quote:

Also Sean has posted a statement on rcog. Interesting and its great that he is clarifying stuff and even if true I just would not want to rely on not knowing what I am getting when I am getting it.
I don't want to draw out the drama any longer, but it seems like it's always some sort of excuses with that guy. Communication has always been very poor, unless I was ready to put down money.

Despite his statement posted this morning, legitimate or not, I'm moving on. Can't waste time with a company unwilling and/or unable to follow through.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I don't want to draw out the drama any longer, but it seems like it's always some sort of excuses with that guy. Communication has always been very poor, unless I was ready to put down money.

Despite his statement posted this morning, legitimate or not, I'm moving on. Can't waste time with a company unwilling and/or unable to follow through.
Actually I never got reasonable communication out of them even after I put down money. I wonder how long it will be until they actually refund canceled pre-orders?
I've really had it with drama queens... Time to work with a real builder I can talk to and trust.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM
#bottlestorage

Rawland Ravn (warning: 26" content)

It is a shame to hear this. I worked with Sean years ago when I bought a sogn and never had a problem. I will say, regarding communication, he and his wife are deaf, so communications did have its hiccups as I am a phone guy and he had to have an aid to do phone work. I wonder if that impacts the communication issues some.

This is not to excuse any short comings or poor project planning, just some insight which might help.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Actually I never got reasonable communication out of them even after I put down money. I wonder how long it will be until they actually refund canceled pre-orders?

I've really had it with drama queens... Time to work with a real builder I can talk to and trust.

+1 on communication. I never got confirmation of my order so I wrote them to ask if them got it. They confirmed several days later. Then weeks later I got an email saying they were considering a new geometry. They didn't communicate consistently through the Google Group, either. Then they had a new "final" geometry (which changed) with promises of more updates later in the week (that never happened). Rawland has had some cool products but I had never done a preorder with them, but I should have seen it all coming.

Careful with choosing your builder. Many are great, but look back at the builders that Bicycle Quarterly dug. Many are no longer around and more than one went MIA and absconded with their customers' down payments.

Anyway, I had a custom built a year and a half ago or so and I can tell you it's a dream...better riding and better looking than any off the shelf bike I've ever had (new, used, vintage, from many companies, different continents). Do it!

Old 09-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
An NFE would be a great choice for me as well. I'm rethinking all of my options for a winter project.

This dilly dally on the Rawland site gave me just enough time to re-evaluate why I wanted the Ravn and bought me a little time to look around at options.

While I was reading Riding Gravel earlier this summer, I read a review of the standard rando from Twin Six.

They gave me just enough reasons to change my mind and I may well do a winter project with a Twin Six rando kit.

Western Bikeworks has the kit for $629 which includes a bunch of extras.

I'm not totally locked on this, but it sure looks like a winner other than the PF30 bottom bracket.

http://ridinggravel.com/gravel-news/...tandard-rando/

I hadn't seen that Twin Six before but I'd go with the NFE--hands down. First, I don't know where they're coming up with calling it a "rando" except that you can fit fenders. Maybe they searched Flickr and say some fendered MAP or Boulder called a rando and decided theirs must also be a "rando." The FE geo is not low trail, the tubing (T6 tubing) is not defined but I'm guessing oversized and not light. Third, I'm really annoyed by them saying it has "Clearance for 43cc rubber"--"cc", really? Really? That's worst than "42c 650B". To me, it's touring bike like a Surly LHT with a wishbone rear triangle.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
I hadn't seen that Twin Six before but I'd go with the NFE--hands down. First, I don't know where they're coming up with calling it a "rando" except that you can fit fenders. Maybe they searched Flickr and say some fendered MAP or Boulder called a rando and decided theirs must also be a "rando." The FE geo is not low trail, the tubing (T6 tubing) is not defined but I'm guessing oversized and not light. Third, I'm really annoyed by them saying it has "Clearance for 43cc rubber"--"cc", really? Really? That's worst than "42c 650B". To me, it's touring bike like a Surly LHT with a wishbone rear triangle.

There are pleanty of other companies that use rando or randonee for 700c bikes with fender and rack mounts. Seven's bike only clears 28s

You can't get too hard on them for the tubing. It's $635 for frame, fork and fenders. For comparison sake, the the NFE is $1300 for frame and fork.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 09-06-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post

Not to mention Guitar Ted's track record with his reviews.

I've been following his blog for years and he always seems to hit it just right.

I ride gravel about 65% of the time and that's where this will be heading.

I've already got enough custom bikes and this one is worth giving a shot at that price point.

Plus it's a Mpls. based company and I live in St. Paul.

I've bought locally marketed framesets for years with good luck.

No reason to not give this a shot.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
There are pleanty of other companies that use rando or randonee for 700c bikes with fender and rack mounts. Seven's bike only clears 28s

You can't get too hard on them for the tubing. It's $635 for frame, fork and fenders. For comparison sake, the the NFE is $1300 for frame and fork.
....and you get to wait.

If I am waiting for anything at this point, I would place an order with Dave Anderson or Joe at Clockwork.

The NFE is interesting to me, but I've already got a Fargo that covers that base.