Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I'm really interested in knowing if there is any truth to the current nutrition having any verifiable performance effect compared to let's say, 10 years ago. Any solid studies which isolates these variables? Not just speculation (without solid data) on how this dual source carbohydrate and isotonic gel with a 0.0 to 1.0 fructose/glucose ration etc etc etc aids in performance/recovery.

I mean all of this sounds good on paper and seems reasonable. But where is the peer reviewed, gold-standard data to back it up? Anecdotes do not count. :-)
Oh, I'm certainly not the guy for that in this domain. Need to know about wind tunnel testing? All day every day. Nutrition? Nope.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
Ha, me too!
BITD (1975 or so) I was a runner in HS weighed 125 lbs and did a few marathons.
Nutrition consisted of large pasta dinner the night before, not much for breakfast and only electrolyte drinks with no carbs during the race. I would always bonk precisely at 20 miles and slowed way down after that.
My best time was 3:15 but probably could have easily gone under 3:00 if I had the nutrition of today. After that I got into bike racing and did a hard hilly 100KM race. I was on a team and they gave me a water bottle with Coke in it. I actually did pretty well in that race.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I've submitted my application.
(X) Like
Old 04-05-2024, 06:34 PM

This is news, big news, not spoilers. Spoilers are race results; this ain't it.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:14 PM

Who would have thought that Jonas Vingegaard Breaks Collarbone & several ribs (thread title)...and still wins!?

This title was a spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Old 04-05-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Beyond that, its several human beings with rather severe injuries ( pneuomthorax anyone? fractured sternum? lumbar fractures?). Ain't race results. This is a human interest story, not a sporting spoiler.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
+1 not to also mention this "race" was neutralized so nothing to spoil

Sorry I really did not mean to spoil anything & do not think I did given what I said above & agree with you this was cycling news that rocked the cycling world nothing to do with the race

Last edited by flying; 04-05-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Who would have thought that Jonas Vingegaard Breaks Collarbone & several ribs (thread title)...and still wins!?

This title was a spoiler.
Perhaps people not wanting "spoilers" should not be on the internet especially cycling forums if they do not want to see/hear important news?

Yes we generally do not mention race results & this was not race results..The race was neutralized nothing to watch later.... ...but at the same time it is almost an entitled attitude to expect the world to wait till you have time to view a "REPLAY" before we get along with important cycling news/ life
Old 04-05-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Totally Agree!
Given the title of the post - I had no clue who won. You started a totally new post - Nothing was spoiled for me.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:15 PM

I'm sorry, it is my fault to expect forumites to do their best adhere to well known forum etiquette regarding races and their results in thread TITLES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Perhaps people not wanting "spoilers" should not be on the internet especially cycling forums if they do not want to see/hear important news?

Yes we generally do not mention race results & this was not race results..The race was neutralized nothing to watch later.... ...but at the same time it is almost an entitled attitude to expect the world to wait till you have time to view a "REPLAY" before we get along with important cycling news/ life
Old 04-05-2024, 10:42 PM

I'm usually one that does not like spoilers either, but I totally agree with the OP and the other folks.
This was a huge and important story that likely affects the racing for the rest of this season and perhaps (hopefully not) for the next half decade, and it totally warrants a thread.
And on top of that like has already been mentioned, there was no spoiler because the race (outside of the 3 guys up the road) was neutralized, so please can we stop with the complaining and continue what has been a rather civil and educated conversation...
Old 04-06-2024, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I'm really interested in knowing if there is any truth to the current nutrition having any verifiable performance effect compared to let's say, 10 years ago. Any solid studies which isolates these variables? Not just speculation (without solid data) on how this dual source carbohydrate and isotonic gel with a 0.0 to 1.0 fructose/glucose ration etc etc etc aids in performance/recovery.

I mean all of this sounds good on paper and seems reasonable. But where is the peer reviewed, gold-standard data to back it up? Anecdotes do not count. :-)
The primary factor is that the riders are simply consuming more energy than before. They are taking in amounts of carbs - up to 140-160 grams per hour - that nobody thought possible until recently. 50g per hour was thought to be the max the body could handle. If you feed an engine more fuel, it's going to be able to put out more power.

Additionally, I don't think anyone is doing the low-carb fasted training any more as it's not productive. These two changes will account for a huge amount of the difference in racing we're seeing.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:25 AM

There was already an ongoing thread on the topic without putting the news right in the thread title.

I agree it's extremely poor etiquette to post current-day race news as a title in a thread. It's EASY not to do it (and to add SPOILER to the title).

This site has very loose moderation because everyone is generally well-behaved. Just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to other members - and once the news is in the thread title - they have no say in the matter.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
BITD (1975 or so) I was a runner in HS weighed 125 lbs and did a few marathons.
Nutrition consisted of large pasta dinner the night before, not much for breakfast and only electrolyte drinks with no carbs during the race. I would always bonk precisely at 20 miles and slowed way down after that.
My best time was 3:15 but probably could have easily gone under 3:00 if I had the nutrition of today. After that I got into bike racing and did a hard hilly 100KM race. I was on a team and they gave me a water bottle with Coke in it. I actually did pretty well in that race.
Interesting--I suspect that some of my experiences racing mirror yours--I was rake thin, high power to weight ratio, but had too many experiences of totally bonking in long races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
The primary factor is that the riders are simply consuming more energy than before. They are taking in amounts of carbs - up to 140-160 grams per hour - that nobody thought possible until recently. 50g per hour was thought to be the max the body could handle. If you feed an engine more fuel, it's going to be able to put out more power.

Additionally, I don't think anyone is doing the low-carb fasted training any more as it's not productive. These two changes will account for a huge amount of the difference in racing we're seeing.
I don't think that we (the collective we) knew better--or at least I was never coached to eat more/drink more -- I just thought I had to get tougher!
Old 04-06-2024, 08:12 AM

With regards to nutrition thread drift on here :- last year one of my ex-students who is in the medical research community said the next step is/will be an organic orally taken product that alters your digestive enzymes so the breakdown /energy conversion is very spread out [aimed at marathon runners /one day classics /tour stages] ,it’ll be tailored to the athlete likewise the actual food eaten ,they are basing it around zero synthetics etc ,he’s my go to person to explain stuff when athletes have been popped ,he explained food truck burritos in 2min .He climbed Ventoux two days ago and zapped some great photos ,blue skies and snow at the top