Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:53 PM

Looking for advice re: unresponsive framebuilder

I've held off on posting here about this for a long time now, out of respect for the builder, but I think enough time has passed without any response/action from him that this type of outreach is warranted.

Long story (not-so-short), I was fitted for a custom 650b road bike in December of 2013. I was told his wait at that time was 4-6 of months. I paid my deposit at the fitting and worked hard to gather nearly all the parts for the build as quickly as possible, as he said he would need them in order to start working.

I gave a bunch of very nice parts to him (White Industries, Paul, Berthoud, etc) in early spring 2014. He's had them ever since, and obviously giving them to him was a mistake but I had no way of knowing the process would take as long or be as frustrating as it has been.

I moved across the country in Sept 2014 and he said he'd ship the frame and parts to me in a few months, no problem.

After no evidence that my frame was actually close to completion, I asked for all my components back in March 2015. Request was denied due to his health problems.

In June I got an email asking to confirm how many bottle mounts I wanted (3) which we had gone over at least twice before then.

In September 2015 I asked for all my parts back again and this time he said he would ship them back except the fenders which he needed for fitting to the frame. I said OK.

In October I followed up, having not received a tracking number or any parts, and he said "I promise by the end of the week"

Now it's been another 4 months and he has stopped responding to my emails.

I need advice. Should I out him online? It feels wrong but I have also been jerked around for two years and would rather not have other people go through this. The ideal resolution for me at this point would be to just get all my stuff and my deposit back and chalk it up to experience. I don't expect to ever see this frame.

Thanks all. Sorry for the bummer topic.

Last edited by whatwolf; 02-11-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 PM
The B!

If all that's accurate, outie quattro. That's some serious BS.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:04 PM

Id be hard pressed to not out him. Especially if he's going to NAHBS
Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 PM

Maybe the OPs frame will be a NABS display bike.

I would buy a cheap airplane ticket and visit him - unannounced, of course.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Just a few days ago, i was wondering what you were up to and now I'm disappointed to hear the answer.

Do you have a phone number? I would be tempted to out them at this point.

I wish there was something I could do to help.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 PM

if all of this is via email

and you have not attempted using the phone, I'd do that first. How much deposit and what value parts do you stand to lose in a worst case scenario. I'd want to balance losing it all against trying even harder to get deposit and parts back.

After making that determination, I'd send one more email and leave one more message to tell him his reputation will be handed a blow by posting to every bike website you know about. And give him a 3 day deadline. No response. Then hand him his ass on platter and cut your losses. And don't tell us it's Paul Taylor.

Last edited by eddief; 02-09-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:29 PM

18 months late? With your deposit AND your parts? You're a lot more calm than I would be. Sorry you're going through that. I'd likely mention his name.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 PM

You're more patient than me, I would have been in stalker mode about May 2014

Couple years ago this conversation always caused quite a dust up. Glad to see you haven't been shouted down yet

I don't know what I'd do but I think that I would not want the bike at this point if any pressure was applied to the builder by outing them or threatening to

Get your parts back but the deposit is probably gone. Chaulk it up to a bummer of an experience, the builder won't be able to fool folks for long - bet you aren't the only one. The outing never goes well unfortunately, its the nuclear option

Do you have a friend that can beat on the door? Does he have a phone? Home address? You may have to be a bit more assertive
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Wow, you're a very patient person. Good luck...
Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM

I don't get it.

If this happened to me I would tell everyone everywhere who the builder is.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM

Instead of considering it "outing", how about looking at it as pursuing some assistance from the Paceline community. I'm sure someone local to the builder would be willing to drop in and assess the lay of the land.

I agree what you're experiencing shouldn't happen, but what if you (we) find out what's going on with the builder before we condemn him. Maybe he's a deadbeat, maybe he's terminally ill.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Instead of considering it "outing", how about looking at it as pursuing some assistance from the Paceline community. I'm sure someone local to the builder would be willing to drop in and assess the lay of the land.

I agree what you're experiencing shouldn't happen, but what if you (we) find out what's going on with the builder before we condemn him. Maybe he's a deadbeat, maybe he's terminally ill.
"Hey sorry I can't build your bike. I'm dying. Here's your parts back and good luck with another builder."

Took me 5 seconds to type that. This guy has had two years of being jerked around.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 PM

Not to pile on, but I wouldn't have put up with this for this long. Definitely not acceptable behavior from a supposed professional. Sounds like once you moved, he put your bike on the back burner. Is there someone local who can intercede on your behalf? I would send him a polite but firm email, with a deadline, after which I would feel obligated to spread the word regarding his business practices. Do you know if he's going to NAHBS?

Last edited by alexstar; 02-09-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Holy crap

As most others have mentioned, I too would out this person by now.

I'd also be very curious to know experiences of other customers that this builder has had in the period preceding your approach date, and since. Only way to do that is by getting the conversation going, and hence outing them, perhaps a year back.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM

I believe in the principle of reciprocity. Not only do I believe you ought to make public, very public his name, I believe you ought to report him to the police. So typical of these scam artists to be so nice and complacent before getting the dough and turning 180° once they have it on their side. The business is all too full of bull···· artists.
Closed Thread