Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 05:56 PM

bb30

my new mtb is the first with a bb30 crankset. my understanding was that the bearings were pressed in the frame and that was that. no more bb for different cranksets. now that i'm looking for a new crankset for the mtb, i see that i need a specific bb for it. what am i missing? so not all bb30 cranks fit in all bb30 bbs?

fwiw, specifically the race face next sl g4 using their cinch system. currently i have a sram crank.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
my new mtb is the first with a bb30 crankset. my understanding was that the bearings were pressed in the frame and that was that. no more bb for different cranksets. now that i'm looking for a new crankset for the mtb, i see that i need a specific bb for it. what am i missing? so not all bb30 cranks fit in all bb30 bbs?

fwiw, specifically the race face next sl g4 using their cinch system. currently i have a sram crank.
generally speaking, once you have bearings pressed into the shell, you won't need a new BB for different cranksets but you may need a new BB30 adapter for whatever the crankset uses. not everyone makes a BB30 crank; FSA, Sram and Cannondale do for road, not 100% sure who does for MTB. for example, if you buy a Sram gxp or Shimano crankset, you'd need the appropriate adapters. they're usually just delrin cups that go between the crankset and bearings. they don't need to be replaced when you replace the bearings, only if you swap to a different standard.

THAT SAID, I don't know the details of the race face next sl g4, nor their cinch BB. so there may be something special you need to do there. either adapter wise or with a new BB entirely. might need to research further there...
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM

right, but that was to change from bb30 to something else. the confusion is going from one bb30 crank to another bb30 crank.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the world of Cannondale, the Apple of bikes. Don't forget there is BB30A too, even worse compatibility.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
right, but that was to change from bb30 to something else. the confusion is going from one bb30 crank to another bb30 crank.
BB30 is BB30 and you can mix/match cranks to the BB that's in the bike. ...unless you're riding a C-dale with the BB30A as mentioned above.

Peronally, I'd rather have a thread together adaptor BB and run 24mm spindles. ...but that's my opinion

M
Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Nothing will be better than far superior IT threaded BB :P
Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM

I currently have two BB30 Cannondales. While I prefer BSA threaded bottom brackets, the BB30s have been 100% trouble free. Both have Wheels Manufacturing angular contact bearings installed along with the Wheels Delrin adapters for Shimano 24mm cranks. Smooth, noise-free, and relatively inexpensive.

Greg